Advice for a 34 year old with no MA training [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a 34 year old with no MA training

gqpolo
04-20-2010, 08:02
How can I get into this? I don't want to take classes with 5 year olds and I don't know which MA to get into at this point any help, ideas, advice would be great.

Mas Ayoob
04-20-2010, 08:42
You'll never go wrong starting with judo. You can usually find a class at your local YMCA. This art tends to qualify the instructor's "bonafides" better than most others, and it's very rare to find a phony, unqualified judo instructor. That can't be said of all arts, unfortunately (including pistolcraft).

Judo will teach you ukemi-waza, the art of breaking your fall, a useful life skill even if you're never in a fight. In randori, you'll learn to lose any fear of going full power, up close and personal, with an aggressive human opponent.

Though judo is thought of as a sport, you will learn many useful things for the street. The devastating sweep-and-throw called osoto-gari, for example, and the wonderfully efficient carotid choke-out known as shime-waza.

Your judo instructor will be a credentialed martial artist, in a position to know what teachers in your community in other arts are "real" instead of phony and/or underqualified. He or she will therefore be an excellent guide to the best locally available training when you branch out into the striking arts, such as the various forms of karate.

best of luck to you,
Mas

gqpolo
04-21-2010, 14:26
Wow thanks for the advice Mas if you say it it must be true!!