Newb: Any negatives to these components? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Newb: Any negatives to these components?

mikecurnow
04-20-2010, 10:42
I am just starting out, and I'm going to try very hard for consitency.
Anything negative about using winchester brass, bullets, primers, and unique powder?

Thanks

RyeDaddy
04-20-2010, 21:44
No experience with Winchester brass or bullets, but their LP/Mag primers have been what I've been running for a while now with Unique, and they work great together. Unique works well for range loads in 10mm. As you'll hear from others and read in reloading data, it's not a great powder for top velocity in this cartridge, but it is economical and accurate for mid-power range loads.

MinervaDoe
04-20-2010, 22:24
... Winchester ... LP/Mag primers have been what I've been running for a while now with Unique, and they work great together. Unique works well for range loads in 10mm.
+1 My first batch of 10mm reloads used Winchester primers and a light load of Unique and it was very accurate.

Maine1
04-20-2010, 23:38
good components all around. As has been said, unique will not give max speed in the 10mm, but you can use it to make loads that equal or exceed 40short and weak. i use it for nearly all practice ammo in several calibers.

blue dot will give you a little more power, the longshot, or AA#9 for the heavy stuff.

gator378
05-03-2010, 21:00
I am just starting out, and I'm going to try very hard for consitency.
Anything negative about using winchester brass, bullets, primers, and unique powder?

Thanks

Never any problems with Winchester brass in 308 or 2506, use Starline for the 10mm. Their 10mm 175 grain silvertip HP always worked good for me with excellent accuracy. No problems with their primers, although I mainly use Federal or CCI because that is what my store usually carries.

Winchester IMO makes good reloading componets.

Taterhead
05-04-2010, 23:01
I like Winchester brass for rifle, but I use Starline for 10mm. For some reason, I throw Winchester brass away sooner than any others. Not because of cracks, thinning or other impending failure, but because they shrink below minimum specs after about 3-5 loads. That is, coincidentally, the number one reason for culling brass in my rotation - aside from losing them at the range.

mikecurnow
05-15-2010, 11:15
Thanks everyone for the replies.