G38 Shells hit me in the face today :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G38 Shells hit me in the face today :(

Monoxcide
04-20-2010, 14:18
It's been a while since I've posted or been able to actually go to the range due to work/school + ammo shortages. I decided to purchase some Georgia Arms Canned Heat (500rds) due to the price and nobody else having any factory GAP ammo.

I had one box of Speer range ammo and shot that first, one or two shells hit me in the forehead or the arm but I account that to possible limp wristing as I am very rusty.

Then I moved on to the Georgia Arms ammo and I have about 20-30 burns on my arms and forehead due to shell casings flying directly backwards at me. It got to the point that I was wincing every time I shot expecting to be hit (they hit me almost every time).

On my last range trip (several months ago) I was using federal ammo which seemed to fly to the right over my shoulder.

I'm assuming its probably an ammunition problem (which sucks seeing I have 300+ rounds left) but in case something was actually damaged what should I be looking for? During cleaning I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary except the fact the Georgia Arms ammo left a bunch of crap in the barrel.

mhmills
04-20-2010, 20:00
Try a new trigger housing w/ejector, or tweak the ejector you already have. My G37 did the same thing when I first shot it.

Scamp
04-20-2010, 21:35
I just read this post (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1210026) and there is a link to an article (http://www.tacticalgearmag.com/page/tactical-gear-exclusive) that talks about the problem your having. Below is from the article.

Some models, notably the G19 and G30, will occasionally eject to the rear and bounce a spent casing off your right earmuff. If that bothers you, a good gunsmith or factory-trained armorer can tweak ejector and extractor to fix that. And, for heavenís sake, use only Glock magazines! Thereís not an aftermarket unit out there that Iíd trust.

DannyR
04-21-2010, 07:50
It is either an ammo issue or an operator issue--grip/stance/posture.

Monoxcide
04-21-2010, 14:30
With the Speer box (50 rds) everything went perfectly fine except for two rounds which I'm pretty sure was my fault.

It has to be the ammo, I tried correcting my grip/stance multiple times and every time was rewarded with a casing to the face. Once I can get a hold of some NIB ammo I'll test it out again.

The gun has had about 1000 rounds through it. No issues until now with the ammo change. I just hope they didn't damage anything.

mhmills
04-21-2010, 17:31
My G37 did not run right until I replaced the ejector. Its only a four dollar part.

Cappi
04-24-2010, 23:04
it's not uncommon with my mild/moderate reloads.
rare to never with factory stuff

..L.T.A.