Loking for a good Home Defense S.G. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loking for a good Home Defense S.G.

wje1
04-21-2010, 00:56
I am looking to buy a good home defense shotgun that does not kick to much. I have shot Remington 870's and Mossbergs before but the reason that I want to try to find something with a little less recoil is that I just recently had shoulder surgery on my dominant arm and they did all kinds of weird things to it(moved my biceps for one, look like Popeye now:).
I just want to make sure that I can get something that will do the job if it comes down to it but at the same time not send me back to the hospital.:supergrin:

Semper Fi

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/350/products_id/16597

DB .380

GreyEclipse
04-21-2010, 01:09
PGO shotguns are for you! lol, no..I'm kidding.

Umm, maybe go down in caliber? 20 Gauge is nice. 16 is okay.
I prefer the 20 to the 16 just because ammo availability.
You could also just buy the 12 Gauge and customize it with a butt pad and less recoil ammunition. Sorry if I'm wording this badly but I have a bunch of morons surrounding me yelling how fat the cat is...ARGH...
lol, I hope this helps.

demented
04-21-2010, 01:10
Perhaps a Knoxx recoil reduction stock? That or going to reduced recoil loads, a semi-auto or a 20 ga are about all the options. Knoxx or perhaps it should be Blackhawk makes a traditional style recoil reduction stock that has my attention, haven't yet decided to fork over the money.

mixflip
04-21-2010, 01:30
Yeah, with a shoulder injury a 20 gauge with a knoxx recoil reducing stock may be a wise choice?

I'd say a semi auto like my Mossberg 930 SPX but while its gas system and recoil spring does absorb alot of recoil...it still would hurt a bum shoulder I think?

My Benelli SNT has the comfort tech stock but it too, I feel would still hurt a bum shoulder.

frankr
04-21-2010, 04:13
What about replacing the butt stock with a pistol grip? I have a bad shoulder but can still shoot the standard shoulder stock. I can shoot my Mossberg 930 SPX all day with no trouble. With my Remington 870 I shoot the load bass target loads for practice but for home defense itís loaded with low recoil 00 buck. If God forbid the BG is kicking in your door at 3:00 in the morning and you have to defend yourself and your family you will never feel the recoil.

vafish
04-21-2010, 07:19
Given your current medical condition I'd skip shooting shotguns until you heal up.

If you really want a long gun for home defense I'd suggest a carbine if some sort.

ScrappyDoo
04-21-2010, 08:49
Tuck the stock under your arm.

aippi
04-21-2010, 20:31
Look at the Remington 20ga Tactical models with the Knoxx SpecOps on them. Recoil becomes a non issue.

David Armstrong
04-22-2010, 10:35
What Vafish said. I loved my shotgun, but after trashing my shoulder I've gone to a carbine for HD duty. I can still use the shotgun if I need to do so, but why take the chance on further damage unless you absolutely have to? An M1 carbine, a Mini-14 or AR-15, or one of the pistol caliber carbines available will do a good job for you without exacerbating the shoulder problem.

dosei
04-22-2010, 10:45
Here are a couple low recoil options:

Shotgun with a Knoxx stock
http://knoxx.com/product/SpecOps-Adjustable-Shotgun-Stock,1158,165.htm

or

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_rifle.php