microsoft outlook [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : microsoft outlook

bear_1
04-21-2010, 17:47
hello everyone, i am writing the first time on Tech talk, i work with outlook on the job and found out that i could use it on my home p/c however i ran into some difficulties i try to open it up and to set it up but it seems not to recognize my yahoo acct. could some help me please:dunno:

BirdDog239
04-21-2010, 18:12
You need to be using Yahoo Plus to access the POP servers. Outlook needs to interface with POP severs to work.
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-08.html

Or it looks like there is a work around if you don't want to pay for Yahoo Plus by installing a local pop sever that interfaces with your web mail sever. Then you tell Outlook to access your local pop server.
http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/et_getyahoofree.htm

Or you can set up a GMail account and allow GMail to fetch your Yahoo mail and then use Outlook to access the GMail account.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090412064618AA4EFrL
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13273

stolivar
04-22-2010, 17:24
It is archaic, outdated and not very safe. Plus if your computer crashes, you lose everything.

A whole lot easier using the online mail account unless you have to use out dated outlook for your mail

Yahoo has a lot safer email and can store files.

steve

txinvestigator
04-22-2010, 17:41
It is archaic, outdated and not very safe. Plus if your computer crashes, you lose everything.

A whole lot easier using the online mail account unless you have to use out dated outlook for your mail

steve

For those of us who use a smartphone Outlook is about the only option for being able to sync contacts, calendar, notes and tasks between the computer and phone.

And anyone who does not back up their computer to another drive or offsite location is just asking for trouble. ;)

stolivar
04-22-2010, 18:08
He wants to use it for mail.......

steve:rofl:

aspartz
04-22-2010, 21:28

steve
I prefer to keep my mail on my local computer. That way I can still look at older mail w/o having to get on the net nor having to deal with their bloated UI. When travelling having email directly on my local laptop has been a life saver.

For those of us who use a smartphone Outlook is about the only option for being able to sync contacts, calendar, notes and tasks between the computer and phone.

And anyone who does not back up their computer to another drive or offsite location is just asking for trouble. ;)
+1 I sync my smartphone w/ Outlook on my laptop and desktop. That way they also agree with each other.

Hef
04-23-2010, 16:33

I have a network of computers and Blackberries sharing Gmail and calendars. Outlook is a necessity.

Drjones
04-24-2010, 15:47
Do yourself a favor & get a Gmail account and set it to retrieve emails from your Yahoo account as suggested above.

Gmail also uses MS Exchange, which means you can get your Google Calendar, Gmail and contacts synchronized with your smartphone wirelessly and instantly, for FREE.

Outlook is last decade's news, is what it is. It is about as much a "necessity" as a virus is.

I was an Outlook devotee for a few short years but gradually migrated over to Google. It took a while to get used to it, but it is SO much better. All the friends & clients I introduce to Google instantly see how much easier, faster & friendlier it is than Outlook.

Or keep using outlook and pay me to constantly come fix it for ya. :supergrin:

Plus, when you used web-based apps like Google, you no longer have to worry about keeping any of your stuff synchronized between multiple locations, because it's all online; all mail is the same at home, office, phone, etc; deleted, read, unread; they are all the same.

I've been trying desperately to move my girlfriend away from yahoo - their interface SUCKS so badly.

aspartz
04-24-2010, 15:53
Gmail also uses MS Exchange, which means you can get your Google Calendar, Gmail and contacts synchronized with your smartphone wirelessly and instantly, for FREE.
Plus, when you used web-based apps like Google, you no longer have to worry about keeping any of your stuff synchronized between multiple locations, because it's all online; all mail is the same at home, office, phone, etc; deleted, read, unread; they are all the same.

...and when I travel through rural MN where I have a cell phone signal, but no data signal, all of that data is inaccessible to me, and when I have a SLOW signal it takes forever.

Thank you, no.

ARS

Slug71
04-24-2010, 22:18
Use Thunderbird.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/internet/firefox/get-your-yahoo-mail-in-mozilla-thunderbird-for-free/