Press setup for dummies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Press setup for dummies

5 OH GLOCK
04-21-2010, 17:50
:wow: NEWBIE to reloading just trying to figure out how to set-up my LEE PRO_1000 press... the directions suck and i cannot fing anything on youtube how to set it up...

P+P
04-21-2010, 17:53
Call the factory they might know

GLShooter
04-21-2010, 17:55
:wow: NEWBIE to reloading just trying to figure out how to set-up my LEE PRO_1000 press... the directions suck and i cannot fing anything on youtube how to set it up...

You having trouble with the dies or what?

Greg

5 OH GLOCK
04-21-2010, 18:02
Call the factory they might know

:rofl::rofl: Funny

You having trouble with the dies or what?

Greg

Yes the dies the whole thing i order two book on reloading they where very helpful but i still do not know how set up the press it self

GLShooter
04-21-2010, 18:07
:rofl::rofl: Funny

Yes the dies the whole thing i order two book on reloading they where very helpful but i still do not know how set up the press it self

Here is a sticky from another site: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/56881-lee-pro-1000-set-up-tutorial-sticky.html

I found this in about 15 seconds using www.dogpile.com I asked, " How do I set up a Lee 1000 press?" and this was one of the returns.

I hope this helps.

Greg

Colorado4Wheel
04-21-2010, 19:45
There is a Lee forum of some sort. Thats your best bet for real advice. Well, other then sell it and get a Dillon/LnL. KC should be around shortly to tell everyone who good the Lee stuff really is.

jwc17
04-21-2010, 20:53
Several of the guys at www.loadmastervideos.com (http://www.loadmastervideos.com) have Pro 1000's and can help. They have a section on their forum for Pro 1000 owners, but it is not very active.

This link may help too:

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/pro1000.html

(http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/56881-lee-pro-1000-set-up-tutorial-sticky.html)

IndyGunFreak
04-21-2010, 21:02

Just curious, did you research your purchase at all, or just buy it cuz it was cheap and automated?

IGF

Aquanewt
04-21-2010, 22:25
Personally, I check around with the local gun clubs. See if any offer a reloading class. When I started a buddy helped me and I went very slowly at first. Check with Lee, but I'm happy with my big Blue (Dillon) equipment

kcbrown
04-22-2010, 01:28
There is a Lee forum of some sort. Thats your best bet for real advice. Well, other then sell it and get a Dillon/LnL. KC should be around shortly to tell everyone who good the Lee stuff really is.

Heh.

Well, the Lee stuff appears to work, but you have to work out the bugs (if any) first. And you have to generally have a solid understanding of things mechanical as well as the willingness to go through a bit of trial and error pain (a.k.a. experimentation).

If you're not the type of person who enjoys that sort of thing, I'd suggest getting a different brand of progressive (preferably Dillon) or buy the Lee Classic Turret.

I should also note that the Lee progressives make much better second progressive presses than primaries, since as a second progressive press you would have something else to fall back onto should your Lee progressive decide to suddenly be uncooperative.

dubels
04-22-2010, 02:02

http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/pro1000.html (*Click here* Same thing but in easier youtube format (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzaPXj4g8D0)) <-- he has a whole section on putting the thing back together piece by piece.

What are you having trouble with? I can try and walk you through it. It is actually fairly easy but it may look a little overwhelming at first. The only thing is break it down and clean it every 3k loads and make sure the primer feed is clean all the time and you have primers filled to at least the top of the feed tube.

GMAN12
04-22-2010, 06:18
Try here http://loadmastervideos.com/ All of the info and vids you could ever want.

coachg
04-22-2010, 08:07
If you end up getting frustrated with the primer operation. Try separating the process by running cases through the priming cycle with no powder and then run the primed cases through and drop the powder.

I found that kept me from getting really frustrated and only added a little bit of time to the process. With the powder drop over the priming station it was really had to keep it completely clean.

Be sure to get the case feeder and case collater. That is where you will save yourself alot of time and effort. Something like $30 for the 2. Also, think about using the spring mechanism for the Powder measure rather than the chain. I find that works better and is more reliable.

You can make it work if you have some patience.

As others stated, the loadmaster videos are very helpful. Even the few on the Lee site are worth a quick look.

5 OH GLOCK
04-22-2010, 09:10
Thanks all trying to take it slow and yes the cost was a big factor I like to start out with the basics before graduating to better and more expensive press.. going to check out those links you guys posted up. thanks again...

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2010, 09:43
If you bought it from Midway or another reputable place then you have the option of a return if you find it does not work to your expectations. You have a limited period of time (check your reciept). Midway will pay return shipping for you. So keep that in mind and don't let that window pass with out giving it a good workout to see if your happy with your purchase. Don't live with a press that does not work properly. It leads to bad ammo and possible injury.

GioaJack
04-22-2010, 09:54
Listen to C4W... he wrote the proverbial 'ABC's of Making Midway Returns'. It's in its fourth printing and is ranked #3 on the New York Times Non-Fiction best seller list.

Jack

Bob2223
04-22-2010, 10:47
Listen to C4W... he wrote the proverbial 'ABC's of Making Midway Returns'. It's in its fourth printing and is ranked #3 on the New York Times Non-Fiction best seller list.

Jack

Hey don't make fun of Steve for wanting perfect equipment!
Theres nothing wrong with getting the best you can for your hard earned money.

And I get all his returned stuff from Midway at 50% off !

:supergrin:

Bob

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2010, 11:04
I make one little return to Midway and I am labeled for life :).

Seriously. Why keep stuff that doesn't work. Midway is a great company who charges a premium for their service so I "expect" a premium from them when I shop. They want me happy with them and the products they sell. What little money they lost in paying my return shipping on some products they more then made up with the many orders before that when I paid thier overpriced shipping charges. I'm not complaining. Just stating the facts. Their shipping is higher and I am sure it covers these types of expenses.