Anybody reloading for XDm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody reloading for XDm

saddleman
04-21-2010, 18:24
I am still having problems with my 9mm loads for the XD and XDm. I have some Berrys 124 FN and 124 HP. If I seat the the bullet at 1.08 or shorter, the FN will work but the HPs won't. They gauge fine but will not seat all the way in the barrel. They all work in the G 19 but not in the XD or XDm. I had about 12 Hornady 124gr HP/XTP. I loaded them at 1.08 aol and they shot OK.
Now I am thinking it is the Berrys HPs.
Anybody have this problem or an answer to it.
Thanks as always

buyobuyo
04-21-2010, 18:30
Buy a dowel rod that will fit down your barrel (1/4" or 5/16" for 9mm). Just it a few inches longer than your barrel. Drop it down the barrel and mark it at the muzzle. Then remove the barrel from the gun, insert a bullet as far as you can into the chamber. Put the dowel rod back down the barrel touching the barrel (make sure it isn't inside the HP hole) and remark the dowel at the muzzle. This will give you the max OAL you can load with that bullet in your gun. Seat the bullets 5-10 thousandths shorter and you should be good to go.

saddleman
04-21-2010, 19:51
Buy a dowel rod that will fit down your barrel (1/4" or 5/16" for 9mm). Just it a few inches longer than your barrel. Drop it down the barrel and mark it at the muzzle. Then remove the barrel from the gun, insert a bullet as far as you can into the chamber. Put the dowel rod back down the barrel touching the barrel (make sure it isn't inside the HP hole) and remark the dowel at the muzzle. This will give you the max OAL you can load with that bullet in your gun. Seat the bullets 5-10 thousandths shorter and you should be good to go.

That sounds like great info but since I am loading FN and HPs at the depth(same oal) and the FN shoot fine but the HPs won't, it seems like it must be the shape of the bullet. ?????????????????????

BadAndy
04-22-2010, 14:00
I had problems with the Berrys 124gr HPs and factory OAL. I have to load mine to 1.055" for them to load correctly in my XD 9 sub compact and M&P 9.

Is the case getting stuck in the chamber or is the bullet hitting the rifling before the case rests in the chamber?

Fire_Medic
04-22-2010, 14:44
I could be wrong but with such a short OAL I would venture to say the case is getting stuck in the barrel somewhere, make sure your brass is "completely" sized. The XDM come from the factory with a "match grade" barrel from SA so it most likely has tighter dimensions than your case guage. Try using your barrel as the case gauge instead.

Just my $0.02 :wavey:

buyobuyo
04-22-2010, 15:26
That sounds like great info but since I am loading FN and HPs at the depth(same oal) and the FN shoot fine but the HPs won't, it seems like it must be the shape of the bullet. ?????????????????????

The shape of the bullet is exactly what it is. Assuming it isn't getting hung up in the chamber like previously mentioned.

The shape of the HP may be different enough from the FN that it requires a different seating depth, but isn't obvious to the naked eye.

cyberiad
04-22-2010, 16:59
I'm loading Montana Gold "truncated cone" CMJ in 147 grain and 180 grain at 1.130 to 1.135 in an XDM 9mm and XDM 40 S&W. I've only shot about 100 through the 40 but 1600 through the 9mm and have had no issues at all. Neither have seen one round of factory ammo.

32dgrz
04-22-2010, 17:45
Got this info that might help

Suggest the best OAL for our 9-124 Gr. HBFP is 1.050.

NOTE: Please take notice of our shorter than normal OAL - and if you are using other data for the same weight bullet - with a longer OAL - you will need to reduce the powder charge slightly, so you do not increase pressures too much.

Stay Safe,

Bud Watson
Berrys Mfg Inc