What the heck is WEB 2.0? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is WEB 2.0?

Glock Swabbie
04-21-2010, 19:13
I have been asked to define this for a class..... I cannot find a straight answer....

Any insight from the Tech Talk crowd?

Many thanks!
GS:dunno:

kc8ykd
04-21-2010, 19:33
I have been asked to define this for a class..... I cannot find a straight answer....

that's because it's a made up term. just like the word 'cyber'.

google it, wikipedia actually has a decent overview of what the term theoretically means. but, since it's not a part of any recognized standard (like say, IETF), you could basically make up anything yourself and call it web 2.0 and be correct.

area727
04-22-2010, 06:33
that's because it's a made up term. just like the word 'cyber'.

google it, wikipedia actually has a decent overview of what the term theoretically means. but, since it's not a part of any recognized standard (like say, IETF), you could basically make up anything yourself and call it web 2.0 and be correct.

I would agree, there is no definite answer. However, like kc8ykd mentioned, wikipedia (the all trusted site :supergrin:) does have a fairly good description, as I understand it, and is pretty inline with what I hear around work (I'm in the IT field).

From Wikipedia...
The term "Web 2.0" (2004–present) is commonly associated with web applications that facilitate interactive information sharing, interoperability, user-centered design,[1] and collaboration on the World Wide Web. Examples of Web 2.0 include web-based communities, hosted services, web applications, social-networking sites, video-sharing sites, wikis, blogs, mashups, and folksonomies. A Web 2.0 site allows its users to interact with other users or to change website content, in contrast to non-interactive websites where users are limited to the passive viewing of information that is provided to them.

tous
04-22-2010, 07:00
From Wikipedia...

The term "Web 2.0" (2004–present) is commonly associated with web applications that facilitate interactive information sharing, interoperability, user-centered design,[1] and collaboration on the World Wide Web. Examples of Web 2.0 include web-based communities, hosted services, web applications, social-networking sites, video-sharing sites, wikis, blogs, mashups, and folksonomies. A Web 2.0 site allows its users to interact with other users or to change website content, in contrast to non-interactive websites where users are limited to the passive viewing of information that is provided to them.

Do you think they got a box of Cracker Jack for shoe-horning dang near every meaningless pseudo-term extant into that paragraph?

:supergrin:

ChristopherBurg
04-22-2010, 08:54
Web 2.0 is a buzzword created by marketing people to add another check box to their product. For instance:

"Our new Ultimate Super Web Deluxe Tool utilized a Web 2.0 interface powered by a MySQL back end with XML and JSON for open date exchange. This combined with out proprietary BUZZ technology allows our customers to bring the power of the cloud to their homes or offices."

The term honestly exists for no other reason.

9mmXRAY
04-23-2010, 18:49
Its twice as cool as Web 1.0 lol :rofl:

Here is a better one... "Lite now with 20% fewer letters"