Glock 23: Need recoil spring advice [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 23: Need recoil spring advice

Seawolf
04-21-2010, 19:47
I want to reduce the felt recoil on my Glock 23 just a tad. I primarily shoot factory 180 grain FMJ loads.

I was reading an article that said for the G23 I would need to look at a spring weight between 13lb and 15lb but then I read somewhere else that heavier is better.

Can you guys please point me in the right direction. I'd like to use my G23 for some IPSC shooting and since it is a carry gun I do not want to hurt the reliability of the gun.

Thanks.

tlafrance
04-21-2010, 20:45
13#. Been using ISMI guide rod and spring from LW for years with no ill effects.

Tom

unclebob
04-22-2010, 07:13
http://www.custom-glock.com/springtech.html
Hope this helps.

DannyR
04-22-2010, 08:07
A heavier spring may increase muzzle flip, whereas a lighter spring may reduce it. Felt recoil and muzzle flip are often considered the same, but are not. Best way to control felt recoil is proper two handed grip/stance/posture.

Seawolf
04-22-2010, 08:33
A heavier spring may increase muzzle flip, whereas a lighter spring may reduce it. Felt recoil and muzzle flip are often considered the same, but are not. Best way to control felt recoil is proper two handed grip/stance/posture.

Understood and thanks.

I think I'm good to go with my grip, but I would like to get back on for follow up shots a little faster.

Ian
04-22-2010, 10:44
Get a 19!
I wouldn't advise changing springs on a carry gun.

Seawolf
04-22-2010, 16:31
Get a 19!

If I wanted a girly round I would have bought a G19 to begin with. lol Did I say that outloud? j/k

Seriously, I just want to see if adding a lower weight spring will change recoil at all. Worst case scenario I put the stock guide rod and spring back in and it's no harm no foul.

Duck of Death
04-22-2010, 17:33
*QUOTE*

And don't change the sights either.:freak:

jstgsn
04-22-2010, 20:35
Several months ago, I bought a model 27and after firing several hundred rounds, went to qualify for retired carry. Half way through the recoil spring shaved and the left me holding a paper weight (which when looking at the comparison charts is several notches below a knife during a gun fight). The dealer gave me a new (looks like more metal) spring and the gun has been fine since. This left me with several concerns, and I ask here, should I go for a custom recoil spring, or will this new spring hold together. I am sure you can understand my concern. AND yes, I kept the gun clean, I did not shoot foreign or reloads, never dropped the gun, etc.

Ian
04-23-2010, 07:44
And don't change the sights either.

Duck of Death:
I respect your opinion, as you have far more knowledge than I.
The plastic sights on the Glock are absolute rubbish. If they don't pop off performing one handed racking drills, then they will quickly wear out of true.
Also the steel front sights are too wide for me personally, so I change the sights on all of the Glocks we own.
In no way does this affect the reliability of the firearm.
Maybe I am wrong, but I believed that Glock would put in the most reliable recoil spring available.
The only time that I thought it a good idea to change recoil springs is when a flashlight was being used and the malfunctions were being experienced.

Duck of Death
04-23-2010, 08:29
Shoot some competition and ask what recoil springs are being used. Competitors do change spring weight and they are VERY interested in reliability.

For example my G34 production gun has a 13lb ISMI recoil spring. The G34 open gun has 13lb - 3 coils ISMI on a modified full length 1911 recoil rod.

Both are 100% reliable.

Don't believe everything you hear/read about Glock perfection.

Ian
04-23-2010, 08:49
Yes, but isn't that because the recoil springs are tailored for specific reloads?
I don't believe anyone uses reloads in their carry gun.

Duck of Death
04-23-2010, 09:53
*QUOTE*
I don't believe anyone uses reloads in their carry gun.

I do, and bet I'm not alone. And not all factory loads the same, different bullet weights/different powder etc.

skipm
04-26-2010, 16:53
Why not use 2 separate spring set-ups. Keep the factory original for carry and get a modified rod with a 13# spring for competition use.

Seawolf
04-26-2010, 21:03
I probably won't change anything on the G23 as it is my carry gun, but after doing some research I am thinking about a G35 now for competition use or maybe a Gen4 G22 with the dual recoil system.

Jager1147
04-28-2010, 19:04
Hey Seawolf,

Good to hear you're gonna try some IPSC shooting!

If you want to get your feet wet, go ahead and shoot your G23. You're gonna burn a lot of ammo shooting USPSA matches along with a bit of practice, so you might consider reloading if you don't already. If you don't, you can purchase ammo for your G23 loaded to minor (or major) here

http://www.atlantaarmsandammo.com/index.htm

and keep the brass to re-use. Atlanta Arms is very reasonable, and with the new brass you'll be getting it's almost not worth it to reload.

Shooting minor .40 will accomplish what you're looking for, and you won't have to buy a new gun or alter yours. After you get a little more proficient, then purchase a reduced power spring (for quicker follow up shots) and guide rod (that sponsor here Jager has the best ones :cool: ) and keep the stock one for when you carry (just for your piece of mind).

And rip those plastic sights off like their poison.

jager