anyone use Site Build It! (SBI) need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anyone use Site Build It! (SBI) need help

Nickotym
04-22-2010, 05:53
My brother set up a website for our business before I came on with him. The person who set it up used Site Build It http://secure.sitesell.com I would not have touched SBI with a 100ft pole if I had been around.

I am trying to backup our site without going and downloading the source for each page and downloading each image file. I can't find any way to save it off of sitesell.com. If anyone has worked with this outfit, let me know so I can get all of it saved off their servers and get ready to switch to a better hosting company this fall.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Nickotym

Nickotym
04-22-2010, 05:55
I can't even find anything on sitebuildit to use ftp to download our site. They make it easy to do some things, but almost impossible to do others. I feel like a kindergartener when I use their control panel page.

JimmyN
04-22-2010, 06:11
You could use something like httrack or wget.

I've used httrack, it will download everything from the site and even change the links so you have a local working copy that will function the same as online.
I have used it to put a copy of a website on CD so the site could be browsed without an online connection.

And it's freeware so it doesn't cost much to give it a try.

Nickotym
04-22-2010, 06:11
I used "save webpage as" on firefox, not great, but it worked. I guess when we change hosting next year it will give them an idea what we are looking for.

Still want to find a way to make sure we are saving all our files off Sitebuilder. I don't think I got all of our image files off Sitebuilder.

Nickotym
04-22-2010, 06:21
Jimmy,
How do I use wget, is that only usable with linux? I have used it in linux, but how do I use it to back up a website?

I assume httrack is pretty user friendly and can find instructions on their site.

kc8ykd
04-22-2010, 06:21
wget for windows/linux/mac? would work.

although, i don't think it wouldn't grab any java/other scripts that the host may be using/allow you to use, but it's better than doing it all by hand.

ah, JimmyN beat me to it :)

here's a pretty thorough windows tutorial for installing and using wget:
http://seogadget.co.uk/download-your-website-with-wget/

Nickotym
04-22-2010, 07:34
Thanks guys, wget did the job. We are backed up.