Nice video busting an age old shotgun myth... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Nice video busting an age old shotgun myth...

dosei
04-22-2010, 15:17
Myth:
"You don't have to aim shotguns, just point them in the general direction and you'll hit the target."

I hear this line of bs so often...and on the bs meter it ranks right in there with "if you hit them anywhere with (insert any of several calibers with a loyal kool-aid chugging following) they are going to go down and not get back up".

Today I came across a nice little video on this exact myth...enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR5K3DrD4Lk

janice6
04-22-2010, 15:20
I am NOT a shotgun "shooter" so this was very interesting to me.

DaveCharlie09
04-22-2010, 15:21
hickok45 makes good Videos.:wavey:

ScrappyDoo
04-22-2010, 16:43
Hickok45 needs to come around here more.... Waaaay to many "expert" thread-combatants need to be schooled. Me, I don't know sheeit about sheeit, but I know how to learn from the learned ones.

boozer
04-22-2010, 18:54
Dang, can you imagine giving an "Al-Queida Terrorist in your bedroom" three rounds of 12 gauge center of mass?

I'd hate to have to clean that up.

My HD 870 holds seven rounds, I bet I can get most of them on target.

OzzyOsbourne
04-22-2010, 21:29
hickok45 makes good Videos.:wavey:

Yes he does.

And for those who haven't seen his other videos ... let me just say this. You do NOT want to get in a long range handgun match with him!

Finally, I am soooo jealous of his backyard gun range. Awesome!

Cheers.

GreyEclipse
04-22-2010, 22:47
lol, long range and handgun don't go good together...

RMTactical
04-23-2010, 00:12
Good vid.

Blacknite29
04-23-2010, 06:11
Great Video, he makes other great videos.

sgerry
04-23-2010, 06:29
Very informative!

method
04-23-2010, 06:45

Why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tied-t1fFsk

OzzyOsbourne
04-23-2010, 07:22

Well, I guess that does depend on your definition of "long range", but if you watch his videos, I think you'll admit he's a pretty fine handgun shooter.

dosei
04-23-2010, 08:09

Ahhh...the proliferation of myths shall never cease...
This is a tangent from the thread topic, but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY5RURFEGd8

The only real limit on a handgun's range is it's ballistics...it has to have enough velocity when it reaches the target to inflict the desired damage to the target. And that same limit exists on rifles. Most rifles have greater velocities and thus greater range. There are plenty of handguns that are effective out to 200 yards, and in some cases well beyond. Distance shooting with a handgun is delightfully challenging and also good practice (as most things that challenge and push your skills are).

Jon_R
04-23-2010, 08:18
I shoot USPSA 3-Gun every month and there are plenty of misses with the shotgun. I run the match and on one stage it was 24 shot minimum (to include a texas star) and I only allowed the shooter to carry 25 shells on them. There where plenty of misses recorded on that stage.

Batesmotel
04-24-2010, 15:51
If it is true that all you need to do is shoot in the general direction and you will hit everything with a shotgun, then why do I miss so many clay birds?:whistling:

Z71bill
04-24-2010, 16:40
I am NOT saying you do not need to aim a shotgun - that would be dumb -

But I think I know where this comes from - at least for me.

I have been shooting a shotgun for a long time - ducks - pheasant - doves - and clay targets - if you shoot long enough you don't really aim - it just comes as a natural reflex -

I am pretty darn sure I can hit a man size target COM at 15 feet with my Remington 870 buy just pulling up and shooting -

I can hit a clay target 85-90% of the time at 30 yards while it is flying in the air -moving fast.

I practice this - point shooting with a handgun also - and at close range can hit the target most of the time - but it is way easier to do it with a long gun - it is just a natural thing.

The best example I can think of is if you play a sport like baseball - when you first start to play catch in the spring you have to think a little bit about where you are going to throw if you want to hit your target - but after a few weeks of playing catch you can just fire the ball right where you want without giving it any conscious thought.

:dunno:

Still think taking the extra nano second to get a well placed shot is a good idea -

stgha
04-24-2010, 17:29
I LOVE that guy (in a non-homosexual way). I hope to have a setup like his in my later years.....

stmcelroy
04-24-2010, 17:41
Wouldn't it be good if he at least shot some rounds from the hip to dis-spell that myth.

rscottk90
04-24-2010, 18:39
I wish he had said something about chokes, ect. If you have a full turkey choke in the gun u can get a pattern like his at 60 yrds

GlockPride
04-24-2010, 19:56
Wouldn't it be good if he at least shot some rounds from the hip to dis-spell that myth.

I agree. And how about only one shot with a good examination of the target.

GlockPride
04-24-2010, 19:57
I wish he had said something about chokes, ect. If you have a full turkey choke in the gun u can get a pattern like his at 60 yrds

Thinking that might be streeeeatching it slightly

dosei
04-24-2010, 20:04

I agree. And how about only one shot with a good examination of the target.

:faint:

...and some people still just don't get it...

j-glock22
04-24-2010, 20:10
some people watch too much tv..... shotguns just do not make these big holes like you see on tv. As Hickok45 shows plain as day, it will get the job done, but you gotta do it right......
Love his videos, learned alot from him, and he's just fun to watch do stuff I can only dream about.

method
04-24-2010, 20:45
Thinking that might be streeeeatching it slightly

Real slightly. More like 15 yards.

As far as hip shooting and what Z71Bill talks about, there's a big difference between instinctive aim, and no aim. Guns can be effectively shot without the use of sights, just like a good archer does just fine barebow...and it is just like throwing a baseball, perfect analogy. It's not the same thing as not having to aim though.

jhooten
04-24-2010, 20:47
My 11-87 "Tower" gun will keep all 9 pellets in the 5 point area of our qualification target ( seen here http://www.americantargetcompany.com/images/targets/law_enforcement/AMTR_IIBU_full.jpg ) at 25 yards. It has a 26" barrel with a turkey extra full choke tube. At 50 yards all pellets are in the score-able area of the target.

dosei
04-25-2010, 17:38
...looks like hickok45 did a follow-up video, to help further dispel this annoyingly rampent myth...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4oe6kjvpkg

txpitdog
04-26-2010, 07:56
This was very helpful for me. Not only to see that it ain't just a swing n' pull the trigger deal, but also to see that if you do make a hit, it will carry just about all the gun's got to give with it. Maybe a streamlight TLR-2 is needed for my 590.

glockfan5
04-30-2010, 19:40

Baby Glock .40 at 230 yards:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45#p/search/7/zFd3kF6LHz4

David Armstrong
05-01-2010, 08:17

The biggest issue with long-range handgunning, IMO, is not if one can hit the target. The actual problem is if the round packs enough stuff to do anything at that range.

rem2429
05-09-2010, 20:26
some people watch too much tv..... shotguns just do not make these big holes like you see on tv. As Hickok45 shows plain as day, it will get the job done, but you gotta do it right......
Love his videos, learned alot from him, and he's just fun to watch do stuff I can only dream about.

The last shotgun wound I saw had half his jaw and most of his shoulder shot off in a single blast. Hollywood can't duplicate what it looked like.

frankr
05-10-2010, 06:13
The video also shows the importance of aiming a shotgun. And as far as other chokes and distances that is the responsibility for you to find out. If you have no idea how your shotgun, especially your HD shotgun patters with the choke and shells you are using then you are in big trouble.

M1Garand
05-18-2010, 16:46

Most LE shotgun have modified chokes.

dnuggett
05-24-2010, 22:00

Freaking awesome shooting!

method
05-24-2010, 23:41
Most LE shotgun have modified chokes.

I really doubt that. I think most would be cylinder (aka no choke at all) or improved cylinder. In fact I highly doubt that either Remington or Mossberg produces, or ever has produced a modified barrel under 22".