Ed's Red Gun Cleaning Fluid [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red Gun Cleaning Fluid

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2010, 17:08
Awww :wavey:, I just had to post this here. I tried a batch of this stuff and it works better then Hoppes #9 IMHO. Basically, it's a 1 part each of

Acetone
Mineral Spirts
ATF Fluid Type 2 or newer
Kerosene

I made a batch with out the Acetone and then poured it into a small glass bottle and added 25% of Acetone. Acetone is used for shotgun cleaning and will disolve plastic fouling. I don't shoot shotgun and own plastic guns. I tried it on my Glock frame and it did not harm it. Acetone will evaperate very quickly so I don't think it a concern but I will use the acetone stuff on my barrel mostly.

Pros

It's cheap
Cleans nicely
Doesn't stink like Hoppes #9
Doesn't attack copper brushes.

Cons

Doesn't smell like Hoppes #9
Not designed to remove copper fouling

Links below.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

http://www.9mmlargo.com/eds_red.htm

GioaJack
04-22-2010, 17:41
If I mix up a small batch, say a 55 gallon drum, then discover I'm not totally satisfied with the performance can I send it back to you for a full reimbursement of the ingredients plus shipping costs... Mr. Midway. :dunno:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2010, 17:44
Midway used to sell a vs of it with Turpintine. Not as good as this version. So I say buy it from them and find out.

GioaJack
04-22-2010, 17:57
ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS

LITTIE STEVIE'S RED WIZARD GUN CLEANING FLUID AND SEPTIC PUMPING COMPANY...

has lousy customer service. May I suggest you find a different cleaning medium and consider cessation of all solid foods.

This has been a public service announcement. :whistling:

Jack

380Seecamp
04-22-2010, 18:19
"Ed's Red" Bore Cleaner... Home-Mix Really Works!

Dang, that takes me back to the infancy of the Internet:

http://www.recguns.com/Sources/XC1a.html

:supergrin:

oldsoldier
04-22-2010, 18:32
I have used a modified version of Ed's Red for many years. Equal parts of low odor mineral spirits, automatic transmission fluid, and k1 kerosene. It is an excellent and fairly inexpensive bulk solvent. I store mine in an ammo can. Makes for a nice cheap solvent tank. Disassemble and dunk the gun parts, a little scrubbing with a tooth/paint brush and then close the can back up until next time. Don't laugh until you try it. Then again you could pay three times as much for a product called "Dunk It". Same stuff.

Colorado4Wheel
04-22-2010, 18:41
Even with just a patch it works pretty good. I had to buy ATF but besides that I had everything on hand. Glad I tried it.

kshutt
04-24-2010, 20:41
I think I'll just stick with MPro7 & Ballistol!!! Not much for "home brew." :smoking:

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2010, 21:08
Nice and expensive. Buy me a gallon next time you get some.

kshutt
04-24-2010, 22:39
Nice and expensive. Buy me a gallon next time you get some.

C'mon, Steve! Only $47.00 for a gallon of Mpro7 at Glockmeister? That's just spare change!!! :supergrin:

Murphy's Law
04-25-2010, 05:05
Don't think you're going to win this one "4W". Personally, I might just try your recipe out (small quality) as I shoot skeet each and every Wed (still not worth a darn at it). :supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 07:22
I sure feel like a winner. The vast majority of my Hoppes #9 is going to cleaning the crud off the outside of my barrel and in the gun. Now I have enough material to make about a gallon of Ed's Red and it cost me 1 bottle of ATF fluid. Thats under $3. For minor lead removal it works fine. For heavier stuff I have learned other options in this thread. All way less expensive then buy from Brownells and paying shipping. So if thats not winning I don't know what is.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

cyberiad
04-25-2010, 09:01
I made half a gallon several years ago and still have a lot left. While it may not 'stink' like Hoppes use it only in a well-ventilated space.

mteagle1
04-25-2010, 09:10
Since trying Blue Wonder I have no desire to experiment with anything else.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 15:43
I made half a gallon several years ago and still have a lot left. While it may not 'stink' like Hoppes use it only in a well-ventilated space.

It barely smells at all if you use Oderless Mineral Spirts. I don't even notice the smell. Regular Mineral Spirts stinks for a long time.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 15:53
Since trying Blue Wonder I have no desire to experiment with anything else.

$7.99 for 4oz, vs perhaps $4 for a gallon. You guys are missing the point. It's not a specialized cleaner. For the record neither is Hoppes. Ed's red removes carbon fouling, minor leading quickly and better then the Hoppes Elite and other stuff I have tried that doesn't stink like Hoppes #9. If I use it inside I don't even notice the smell 5 mins latter in my gun room. I also just got some 10% Ammonia for $3.50. Big 32oz bottle. Read the link I posted and you can make your own Lead Removing Product 10% the cost of the "fancy" stuff and it's basically the same thing.

cyberiad
04-25-2010, 16:45
It barely smells at all if you use Oderless Mineral Spirts. I don't even notice the smell. Regular Mineral Spirts stinks for a long time.

Maybe I used a different recipe. It's not so much the smell as dangerous fumes
from the acetone that I was warning against. It really should be used in a well ventilated area http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts21.html regardless of the actual smell.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 17:21
If it bothers you leave the Acetone out. It's mostly for shotgun use anyway. Works fine with out it. I am going to start wearing gloves when I clean things. Even if I used Hoppes. I'm sick of the residue on my hands. Either way the amount used on a patch is minimal.

GioaJack
04-25-2010, 17:38
Boy, what a bunch of wussies... wearing gloves to clean guns. Next you're gonna say you use a ladle to pour lead from your furnace instead of just scooping it out with your hand like the rest of us do.

Right guys... guys... well, I guess everyone else is busy right now.

Jack

just for fun
04-27-2010, 16:00
$7.99 for 4oz, vs perhaps $4 for a gallon. You guys are missing the point. It's not a specialized cleaner. For the record neither is Hoppes. Ed's red removes carbon fouling, minor leading quickly and better then the Hoppes Elite and other stuff I have tried that doesn't stink like Hoppes #9. If I use it inside I don't even notice the smell 5 mins latter in my gun room. I also just got some 10% Ammonia for $3.50. Big 32oz bottle. Read the link I posted and you can make your own Lead Removing Product 10% the cost of the "fancy" stuff and it's basically the same thing. Where did you find the ammonia?

Colorado4Wheel
04-27-2010, 19:59
Ace Hardware. They can order it if they don't carry it. Also, Janitoral Supply shops, Kitchen Supply Shops perhaps.

TexasFats
04-28-2010, 12:10
IIRC, Acetone is a known carcinogen. Be sure to use this stuff only in a well-ventilated area.

By the way, one of my books on the 1911 mentioned something called "Red Oil" that was used by some National Guard armorers at Camp Perry. It was a mixture of 30W non-detergent oil, automatic transmission fluid, STP, and, maybe, something else. Of course, they had a lot more pistols to take care of than I do.

mnhogrider
04-28-2010, 12:38
ATTENTION FORUM MEMBERS

LITTIE STEVIE'S RED WIZARD GUN CLEANING FLUID AND SEPTIC PUMPING COMPANY...

has lousy customer service. May I suggest you find a different cleaning medium and consider cessation of all solid foods.

This has been a public service announcement. :whistling:

Jack

But, He'll take crap from anyone.

Rick from Kali
04-28-2010, 12:43
if you replace the lanolin with Kroil when making Ed's Red it will remove lead in your barrel. leave the actone in as it also helps remove the carbon build up.
Rick