memory chips SD, MicroSD, MicroSD HC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : memory chips SD, MicroSD, MicroSD HC

RWBlue
04-22-2010, 19:57
I think I have a mismatch, but I need to understand the issue.

I am trying to use a 16GB MicroSD HC chip with adapter in a SD slot on my laptop. It is not working.

The chip works when I use it in the USB adapter.

What's up?

aspartz
04-22-2010, 21:20
I think I have a mismatch, but I need to understand the issue.

I am trying to use a 16GB MicroSD HC chip with adapter in a SD slot on my laptop. It is not working.

The chip works when I use it in the USB adapter.

What's up?
How old is the laptop? Older models do not support the HC cards (it's a newer spec). The usb adapter does he same work as the internal device on the laptop, but likely has a newer version of the hardware that recognizes the HC card.

ARS

CitizenOfDreams
04-22-2010, 21:21
High Capacity SD cards require a High Capacity-capable reader. The reader in your laptop is most likely too old to support them.

Check the tech support website of the laptop's manufacturer before giving up. Your laptop may be able to read HC cards after you update the drivers, although chances are slim.

npatel
04-23-2010, 01:56
I had the same problem a while ago -- last two posters are spot-on. If your reader doesn't support sdhc, it can only handle cards of 2 gb capacities or less.

RED64CJ5
04-23-2010, 06:26
It is a pain. I got caught in the same situation and ended up dumping (donating) my old USB readers for the HC-supported ones.

unit 900
04-23-2010, 06:52
The issue has been diagnosed. I had the same one and purchased a Sandisk MobileMate SD+ reader for laptop use. It was about $8 shipped and is the same size as a flash drive. Works great in USB port

RWBlue
04-23-2010, 09:58
Thank you, that is what I was afraid of. The chip will work in about half of my devices and I will need a smaller chip to make it work across the board.