A rainy Sunday afternoon project [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A rainy Sunday afternoon project

PCJim
04-22-2010, 20:18
This past Sunday was a rainy day. One that I had to myself since she had gone to the movies. It was much too wet to go to the range (an outdoor range). Nascar's Texas race had not begun due to a rain delay (eventually postponed). All my pistols had already been cleaned, and the ammo cans were pretty much full. What to do?

I was messing around in the garage, as men are oft to do, and decided to toy around with an idea I have had for a while. So with the table saw, miter saw and drill press all moved out of their hiding places, I went to work. It actually took more time to move the saws and press, than the time it took for the prototype build. When I realized I had a successful design, I went to work. Within two hours, the project was complete except for the final coat of paint.

It is constructed from a 20" section of 2x6, some 1/2" and 7/8" dowel rods, carpenter's glue and six 1 3/4" #6 screws, and a splash of blue paint. Yes, I like a color coordinated work bench). Had I known that it would turn out as well as it did, I would have used a base with no knots. Live and learn.....

My custom built 6 Station 550 Toolhead Stand...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand01.jpg

As currrently populated...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand02.jpg

On the bench (one of two)...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand04.jpg

In matching blue, to go with the 550b...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand03.jpg

The only design flaw that I have found is that the single spare powder throw that I have must be turned inward on the toolhead so that it sits level - see pic. Otherwise, all the stand needs are some labels....

n2extrm
04-22-2010, 20:31
Nice job looks great!

GioaJack
04-22-2010, 20:34
For a flatlander you're a pretty handy guy... very nice job indeed. ( I imagine the medicine bottle in the foreground holds your anti-depressants to help you deal with not owning a LNL. :supergrin:)

Very good job.

(The race was worth waiting for on Monday... looking forward to Talladega, and the 'BIG ONE'.)

Jack

john58
04-22-2010, 20:36
Nice job! That looks great. What made you think about a toolhead rack?

Murph33
04-22-2010, 20:50
Looks good. Also enjoyed the narrative...

PCJim
04-22-2010, 21:44
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I figured a few on here would like the idea, and that it might inspire some other creative ideas for the reloading room.

Jack, that medicine bottle does hold a sort of anti-depressant - it is full of 44cal cast 240gr SWC that a friend gave me. The caster is no longer in the business, having sold out to the current owners of his shop. I just havent' bothered yet to load them up properly.

John, I had obtained a Dillon metal toolhead stand in a toolhead/powder measure purchase last year. With only a single stand, it bothered me everytime I looked over at the other toolheads laying on their sides on the bench. Keep in mind that my car is parked daily inside the garage. The motivation to do something about this has been building for some time. I say that, but then the rotting deck that I removed last August hasn't been replaced yet either, and I see that empty space every morning when I get out of bed. Then again, the toolhead issue was a lot simpler to tackle. So, rather than spend well over a hundred for another five stands, I had been thinking of workable toolhead designs to save some funds.

Another design I had considered was simply inserting 1/2" dowels directly into a base, and cutting sections of 1" PVC pipe appx 1/2" in length to fit over the dowels. The pipe would act like a spacer to provide the needed height to allow the dies to clear the base when stored. The more I thought about this design, the less I liked it. The PVC pipe could be painted, but the "fit" would look a little too sloppy for my tastes - the inside diameter of the pipe is greater than the 1/2" dowel. After measuring the diameters of the post sections on the Dillon, I found the dowel rods at the local HD and settled on the final design.

I've some other ideas for the reloading bench that I've mentally toyed with. I wonder when it will be raining again on a Sunday afternoon.....

PCJim
04-22-2010, 21:48
Jack, I did happen to catch the last 90 laps of the Texas race when SPEED channel replayed it Monday night.

I hope to be watching the Talladega race this Sunday. I've a road trip planned to go visit my son. Depending upon when I finally get on the road, I might get to see a bit of the race.

Colorado4Wheel
04-23-2010, 08:46
Looks good. I made a crappy version of the same thing. Always in a rush when I make reloading equipment. Your looks great.

GLShooter
04-23-2010, 11:57
That looks sharp. Now I have to do one for myself!!! I get tired of shuffling my tool stands around on the bench and that is a much neater compact arrangement.

Greg

fredj338
04-23-2010, 12:07
Very nice! I like the initiative. Some little pin holes & slots for the shell plates & it would be perfect.

robin303
04-23-2010, 12:58
That looks real nice there my friend. :thumbsup: Been a wood butcher for 35 yrs and watched Bob Villa twice so I know. :supergrin:

PCJim
04-23-2010, 13:16
Thanks again for the compliments. It really was a simple project to put together, given the right equipment.

Greg, if you are going to do something similar, take note of my "flaw" comment. If you have powder dispensers on your toolheads, use a tighter fitting center dowel, maybe a 5/8" sanded down? Otherwise, you'll end up like me and will have to turn your dispenser to the inside to maintain a balance on the stand. Either that, or you could have canted toolheads on the holder that would distract from it being an "object de art". Using a taller 1/2" dowel might would overcome this.

Fred, I had considered that, but decided against it. If any parts were to fall behind the bench, I'd spend way too much time trying to find them behind ammo cans on the shelf, or shingles and boxes of nails / screws / hardware that are on the floor.

I keep all my Dillon equipment / accessories in a plastic toolbox obtained at Walmart. It makes for a great container to keep everything in one place (except the toolheads). It sits on this particular bench's shelf.

GLShooter
04-23-2010, 13:22
Thanks again for the compliments. It really was a simple project to put together, given the right equipment.

Greg, if you are going to do something similar, take note of my "flaw" comment. If you have powder dispensers on your toolheads, use a tighter fitting center dowel, maybe a 5/8" sanded down? Otherwise, you'll end up like me and will have to turn your dispenser to the inside to maintain a balance on the stand. Either that, or you could have canted toolheads on the holder that would distract from it being an "object de art". Using a taller 1/2" dowel might would overcome this.

Fred, I had considered that, but decided against it. If any parts were to fall behind the bench, I'd spend way too much time trying to find them behind ammo cans on the shelf, or shingles and boxes of nails / screws / hardware that are on the floor.

I keep all my Dillon equipment / accessories in a plastic toolbox obtained at Walmart. It makes for a great container to keep everything in one place (except the toolheads). It sits on this particular bench's shelf.

Thanks PC., I knew that the fit had better be tight for the center hole. I also keep my plates and pins in the little boxes the conversion kits come in. I have so many plates for my Dillon 300's and 550 I inscribed the cartridge type under the plate and what pin number goes with that plate. I also magic marker it on the outside of the plate holder box.

Greg

WiskyT
04-23-2010, 15:38
Only a coward would avoid shooting in the rain...

dudel
04-23-2010, 18:04
Very nice. I did something similar; but left it natural wood. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1152901&highlight=toolhead+stand

Also built a special one to hold the dump alone. I might have to paint mine. Blue looks sharp.

PCJim
04-23-2010, 21:53
Don, very nice! I like the ability to cover the toolheads. Your design incorporated a lathe, one piece of equipment that I do not own. I had to improvise with standard dowel rods. I really like the idea of turning the dowel so that a perfect fit can be acquired.

PCJim
04-23-2010, 21:59
Only a coward would avoid shooting in the rain...

or one who greatly appreciates his fine firearms. Actually, shooting in the rain here in Florida isn't as bad as it can be in, say, Colorado. At least we're not as likely to catch some cold because of it. :supergrin:

GioaJack
04-23-2010, 22:07
Actually, shooting in the rain here in Florida isn't as bad as it can be in, say, Colorado. At least we're not as likely to catch some cold because of it. :supergrin:

Flatlanders catch colds... real men get pneumonia. :whistling:

Apparently winter isn't quite over... got almost a foot of snow today. Gonna sell my guns and take up ice fishing. :crying:

Jack

dudel
04-24-2010, 02:22
Don, very nice! I like the ability to cover the toolheads. Your design incorporated a lathe, one piece of equipment that I do not own. I had to improvise with standard dowel rods. I really like the idea of turning the dowel so that a perfect fit can be acquired.

Thanks. Like you I didn't route the slots or the put holes for the pins. I found them easier to keep track of in the conversion box.

I also put dummy rounds with the OAL set in the conversion box. I took some pics last night of the stand for the dump. It doesn't need a lathe. I'll post when I can upload them.

dudel
04-24-2010, 03:09

Thanks. Just updated http://picasaweb.google.com/donudel/DillonStands#

to show the stand for the dump.

norton
04-24-2010, 05:52
This past Sunday was a rainy day. One that I had to myself since she had gone to the movies. It was much too wet to go to the range (an outdoor range). Nascar's Texas race had not begun due to a rain delay (eventually postponed). All my pistols had already been cleaned, and the ammo cans were pretty much full. What to do?

I was messing around in the garage, as men are oft to do, and decided to toy around with an idea I have had for a while. So with the table saw, miter saw and drill press all moved out of their hiding places, I went to work. It actually took more time to move the saws and press, than the time it took for the prototype build. When I realized I had a successful design, I went to work. Within two hours, the project was complete except for the final coat of paint.

It is constructed from a 20" section of 2x6, some 1/2" and 7/8" dowel rods, carpenter's glue and six 1 3/4" #6 screws, and a splash of blue paint. Yes, I like a color coordinated work bench). Had I known that it would turn out as well as it did, I would have used a base with no knots. Live and learn.....

My custom built 6 Station 550 Toolhead Stand...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand01.jpg

As currrently populated...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand02.jpg

On the bench (one of two)...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand04.jpg

In matching blue, to go with the 550b...

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu42/PCJim/6%20Station%20Toolhead%20Stand/ToolheadStand03.jpg

The only design flaw that I have found is that the single spare powder throw that I have must be turned inward on the toolhead so that it sits level - see pic. Otherwise, all the stand needs are some labels....

Clever idea. I may co opt it

PCJim
04-25-2010, 18:31
Pnumonia-now that's something that I certainly don't want!

Don, I wish I had seen your idea on the powder throw before I started. I really like what you did. I just don't want two separate stands on the bench. I will have to think about this a bit.

Norton, go for it. But also look at Don's idea for the powder throw.

dudel
04-25-2010, 20:53
Pnumonia-now that's something that I certainly don't want!

Don, I wish I had seen your idea on the powder throw before I started. I really like what you did. I just don't want two separate stands on the bench. I will have to think about this a bit.

Norton, go for it. But also look at Don's idea for the powder throw.

Thanks. You could replace one of the dowels with one that has a hole in it. One shell plate stays in the press.

WiskyT
04-26-2010, 13:16
Flatlanders catch colds... real men get pneumonia. :whistling:

Apparently winter isn't quite over... got almost a foot of snow today. Gonna sell my guns and take up ice fishing. :crying:

Jack

My people (NJ) crossed the frozen Delaware River with rags on their feet so enlightened literoti such as yourself could sit around big stone fireplaces talking about how they tuff out the weather in the Rockies.

GioaJack
04-26-2010, 13:55
My people (NJ) crossed the frozen Delaware River with rags on their feet so enlightened literoti such as yourself could sit around big stone fireplaces talking about how they tuff out the weather in the Rockies.

Yes, I am aware of what your people did... my people hired them to do it. As you pointed out, we were also clever enough not to pay them enough to afford shoes... why do you think we ruled the world.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to throw another log on the fire, don't want to get an uncomfortable chill. :supergrin:

BTW... If I remember correctly you're a former public servant... that being the case, would you get me a Diet Pepsi please. :whistling:

Jack

WiskyT
04-26-2010, 15:10
BTW... If I remember correctly you're a former public servant... that being the case, would you get me a Diet Pepsi please. :whistling:

Jack

Dewars, cigarettes, and diet Pepsi...cretan! I'll do you one better and give you a little advice. Drop the smokes, switch to Cutty, and drink it neat. If you do that, people will stop asking you to park their cars when you are about to enter a restaurant.

AJE
04-26-2010, 15:18
Great job. I would like to try something similar for the toolheads for my Square Deal B.

WiskyT
04-26-2010, 15:25
Great job. I would like to try something similar for the toolheads for my Square Deal B.

It's too late for Jack to appologize, even if he tries to get you to do it for him!

GioaJack
04-26-2010, 15:47
Dewars, cigarettes, and diet Pepsi...cretan! I'll do you one better and give you a little advice. Drop the smokes, switch to Cutty, and drink it neat. If you do that, people will stop asking you to park their cars when you are about to enter a restaurant.

Not drink Diet Pepsi... are you nuts? Why would I want to introduce sugar into my body, that would be unhealthy.

And no, I'm not going to quit smoking... the doctors say the cancer is going to kill me before the cigarettes do. Besides, I'd get testy... you see how I am normally, do you really want me testy... I think not. :supergrin:

Jack