Steel Recoil Spring Guide Rod [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Steel Recoil Spring Guide Rod

Don Sarkisian
04-23-2010, 18:34
Having been a long time 1911 fan I do understand the pros and cons of a full length guide in that platform.

I have a desire to purchase a stainless rod for ease of spring change to customize a G17 to my load.What is holding me back is the question about punishment to the Glock frame.

Does the factory plastic unit protect the frame better than a stainless rod and spring?

JR
04-23-2010, 18:48
The factory unit will wear, chip, crack or break.... eventually.
The stainless unit will not wear, chip, crack or break... ever!
The stainless GR does not affect the Glock frame at all.

Don Sarkisian
04-23-2010, 19:31
Thank you Sir for your prompt reply.

Best,
Don

Don Sarkisian
04-30-2010, 17:09
Received my Wolff full length guide rod and 17lb spring today for my G17.To digress for a moment,I have put a bunch of these in 1911's but its quite a different story in a Glock.The installation approach I finally ended up with was threading an 8" long brass rod through the front of the slide and through the spring as a slave pin so to speak.Then using the Wolff rod to push out the brass rod until the Wolff rod was in position.Is there a better approach to this pesky install?

PS: Don't like two piece guide rods!
Thanks,
Don

JR
04-30-2010, 18:37
I am assuming you have a Wolff (as in Wolff gun springs) non captured guide rod? If so, that is the nature of the beast. You have to fight the recoil spring every time you install.

Had you picked up a LWD (Lone Wolf Dist) "captured guide rod" you would fight the recoil spring one time, install the screw tip and never fight installation again
See one here: http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1116&TERM=lwd-gr17

Don Sarkisian
05-01-2010, 06:31
Thank you for the tip sir.I will own one of the LWD rods very soon.

Don Sarkisian
05-08-2010, 06:33
JR,just thought I would let you know that I received my LW rod/spring assembly and its installed.Should have gone this way in the 1st place.Thanks for the tip.Plan to order a couple xtra springs for it also.

Best,
Don