Buying my first gun, Glock 26? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first gun, Glock 26?

jrmacint
04-23-2010, 20:11
Ok, so I've decided to buy my first gun. After watching my husband (who grew up hunting and shooting) and our daughter (who got her 1st .22 for her last b-day) go to the range almost every weekend I decided to see what all the fuss was about. Although I have to say I was less than thrilled when he first started taking her (she's 10), they have a great time and are all about safety. About 7 months ago I went with them for the first time and loved it!!! I've tried several of his handguns, but they all feel a little to "big" for me and have decided it's time to get my own. Unfortunately, he won't really help me pick one. The most he will say is that I should get a 9mm semi-auto. I want something easy to use, maintain, and one that has minimal "kick". I've looked at several and I think I like the Glock 26. Does anyone currently own/use this one? And would it be a good "first" gun? I have somewhat small hands and am cross-eye dominant (left-hand, right eye). I would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions. Thanks :wavey:

j-glock22
04-23-2010, 20:21
The G26 is a very popular sub-comp Glock. I advise you to try one first, see how it feels to handle and shoot. I'm still trying to get used to mine, but its slowly growing on me. Its weird because I had a G36 (.45 sub-compact) and loved it. I have the other 9mm Glocks and love them to death.
Try before you buy is what I suggest. Its a Glock, it will treat you well for decades to come.

mdhandyman
04-23-2010, 20:30
Good first post, Welcome to Glock Talk go and shoot the G26 first Them try the G19 you can rent them at your local indoor range. You may find that the G19 is more to you liking. Glocks are known to last a bit so try them all then get the one that fit's you best. Good luck

GreyEclipse
04-23-2010, 23:18
Your guy sounds like a good man. I hate how most guy's try to pick a gun for their women. First off, the G26 is a great gun but I wouldn't start off on a subcompact gun. They just aren't as fun to shoot as service size/full size guns and if you really liked it a lot and want to go almost every weekend then you should pick one that is fun to shoot! I'd recommend you try a 1911, they're great shooters and they feel good in the hands but they can be a bit heavy. Sigs .380 is a lot of fun to shoot and it's fairly small.
The main thing is that YOU make the call. Choose a gun that is fun to shoot and that's the most important factor. I also advise that you shoot as many as you can before making a purchase, that part is very important.

Good luck!

sawgrass
04-24-2010, 08:39
Welcome to GT!

Kudos to your husband for not suggesting a revolver.
The G26 is a great gun. It wasn't my first gun, but it is my
summer carry gun. I have small hands too, being 5'3".

It would be great if you could shoot several different guns.
There is a post in this sub-forum regarding women and carry
guns. Do you intend to carry? Is it a range gun? Will you keep
it handy around the house?

Decide what you want to do with it, shoot before you buy.
Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide.

Happy Shooting,
Sawgrass

DragonLibra
04-24-2010, 23:39
If you plan on carrying the gun a Glock 26 is a great gun. If you plan on mostly shooting at the range then I'd suggest maybe a Glock 19 or even the new 4th Gen Glock 17 because it has a slightly smaller grip that fits a small hand well.

I'm female and have been carrying a Glock 26 for 10+ years. I also have a Glock 19 and last month added a the 4th Gen Glock 17 to my collection.

All have shot well & accurately out of the box with no failures.

I'd suggest with the 26 adding a grip extension or buying a magazine with one installed just to make it a little more comfortable when practicing a lot at the range.

I keep one mag without the extension when I decide to belt or IWB carry if I feel like the gun is printing with the mag extension.

Hope you do get the 26 or another Glock. I know several other women I shoot with who also have a Glock 26 and a few guys as well. Great choice. Let us know.

17119jfkioe
04-25-2010, 00:05
if your not carrying get the nineteen, but wait for the 4th gen in my opinion:supergrin:

zysus
04-25-2010, 14:18
I'm in the same boat (left-hand, right-eye). I have a G23 and a G17. I highly recommend shooting the following before you buy one:
1. G19
2. G23
3. G30

These are each of the compacts in 9, .40 and .45.

See which fits you best. If you don't have an issue dealing with the recoil initially, (I had a bad recoil flinch when I first started with handguns) try a subcompact in your fav. caliber so you can carry if you want.

Otherwise, start with a full-size, practice, practice, practice and then buy something else... it's not like you can own too many Glocks.

Finding a gun you like is a very individual thing.

gunreviewonmyspace
04-25-2010, 14:22
Hey bud, if yer gonna get a subc for your first gun, that is probably your very best bet! But I strongly reccomend you look at the 19 instead for a starter..... JMO

gunreviewonmyspace
04-25-2010, 14:24
I'm in the same boat (left-hand, right-eye). I have a G23 and a G17. I highly recommend shooting the following before you buy one:
1. G19
2. G23
3. G30

These are each of the compacts in 9, .40 and .45.

See which fits you best. If you don't have an issue dealing with the recoil initially, (I had a bad recoil flinch when I first started with handguns) try a subcompact in your fav. caliber so you can carry if you want.

Otherwise, start with a full-size, practice, practice, practice and then buy something else... it's not like you can own too many Glocks.

Finding a gun you like is a very individual thing.

best advice I've heard all day:whistling:

ExxoticOne
04-25-2010, 18:21
...I think I like the Glock 26. Does anyone currently own/use this one? And would it be a good "first" gun?

You are going to have to decide for yourself what "feels" best and what fits your needs. With that said, my very first gun was a G26. I was a "newbie" back then and it worked well for me at the time. That was about nine years ago and today, my gun collection rivals (and may very well exceed) that of many men. Take your time...try everything...even ones you think you don't like.

Choose your first gun like you would a man...there are so many varieties and calibers to choose from and you only want the best and most reliable one for yourself.

sawgrass
04-25-2010, 18:28
You are going to have to decide for yourself what "feels" best and what fits your needs. With that said, my very first gun was a G26. I was a "newbie" back then and it worked well for me at the time. That was about nine years ago and today, my gun collection rivals (and may very well exceed) that of many men. Take your time...try everything...even ones you think you don't like.

Choose your first gun like you would a man...there are so many varieties and calibers to choose from and you only want the best and most reliable one for yourself.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ExxoticOne, what do you like to shoot? What's your favorite gun?
I can't find a Sig 238.

Hydraulicman
04-25-2010, 18:34
get what you like . if you like the g26 get it. you can always add a grip sleeve like in the link below

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/3_Magazines%2B&%3B%2BExtensions/6759_Magazine%2BSleeve%2Bfor%2BGlock/

ExxoticOne
04-25-2010, 19:24
What's your favorite gun?

Every time I buy a new gun it becomes my current favorite.

Then we go into categories...after all these years my favorite 9mm is a CZ P01 (which I hope the original poster checks out as well!) The new toy in my nightstand happens to be a Dan Wesson Valor in black. Since the stainless model matches nicely with my car that's what's currently in my glovebox. All my shotguns are either Mossberg or Benelli. I can't decide which Kimber I like best...the one on Nip Tuck or my stainless Ultra Raptor II :rofl:

sawgrass
04-25-2010, 19:54
Every time I buy a new gun it becomes my current favorite.

Then we go into categories...after all these years my favorite 9mm is a CZ P01 (which I hope the original poster checks out as well!) The new toy in my nightstand happens to be a Dan Wesson Valor in black. Since the stainless model matches nicely with my car that's what's currently in my glovebox. All my shotguns are either Mossberg or Benelli. I can't decide which Kimber I like best...the one on Nip Tuck or my stainless Ultra Raptor II :rofl:

Do you have those beautiful grey/black VZ grips?
I love shooting .45 ACP. 1911's feel nice in the hand.
The CZP01 is a sexy gun. It's a little long in the trigger
reach for me.

To the OP, after you pick that first gun you will likely want another.
Then the fun really begins!

drpdw
05-02-2010, 21:51
Sawgrass,

I had to jump in here when I saw your post. I agree 100% with what you said RE: choosing the correct weapon. The G-26 is a good place to start, but only if the person has gone to her local range/GS and shot as many 9mm as she could first...and then selected the one that fits and handles the best for her. IF it doesn't do both, it will not be used and most certainly, not be carried. My additional pearls of wisdom are to pick out your own weapon; do not let someone else do this for you! (When I read a post on this forum from a man, asking about which gun to get his GF, I truly cringed.)

After I purchased my G-26, I got a SIG P239 and find it a superb range pistol. I only wish it were a sub-compact so that I could carry it all of the time. My third gun was the Kel-Tec PF9. It's an up-close-and-personal weapon and shoots well for its size and weight...after a adding Hogue, Jr. grip to absorb the sting when firing.

My next weapon will most probably be a 45; I'm now looking at the 21 SF model and am anxious to try it.

-drpdw

sawgrass
05-02-2010, 22:12
Sawgrass,

I had to jump in here when I saw your post. I agree 100% with what you said RE: choosing the correct weapon. The G-26 is a good place to start, but only if the person has gone to her local range/GS and shot as many 9mm as she could first...and then selected the one that fits and handles the best for her. IF it doesn't do both, it will not be used and most certainly, not be carried. My additional pearls of wisdom are to pick out your own weapon; do not let someone else do this for you! (When I read a post on this forum from a man, asking about which gun to get his GF, I truly cringed.)

After I purchased my G-26, I got a SIG P239 and find it a superb range pistol. I only wish it were a sub-compact so that I could carry it all of the time. My third gun was the Kel-Tec PF9. It's an up-close-and-personal weapon and shoots well for its size and weight...after a adding Hogue, Jr. grip to absorb the sting when firing.

My next weapon will most probably be a 45; I'm now looking at the 21 SF model and am anxious to try it.

-drpdw

Hi Doc, good to see you posting. This is an addicting hobby. I've been doing a little collecting. I have to agree with ExxoticOne, my favorite is my last purchase. It looks like you are in the same boat. And a mighty fine ship it is. You just can't have too many. I can't wait to hear
which .45 you get. My favorite caliber is .45ACP. I just love 1911's, all sizes. I still carry either my G26 or G19 though, occasionally my Colt
Defender. Some pics on here had me Jonesing for a couple of bigger
revolvers. That has turned out to be a lot of fun as well.

Doc, I have four days left!!!! June,July,and August.!!!
Are you taking the summer off? Oh, and about those recipes?
PM me for e-mail or whatever.

PlayboyPenguin
05-02-2010, 22:17
I have not seen many circumstances where a G26 was a bad choice. If you have really small hands you might want to check out a Kahr CW9/PM9/P9 or a Walther PPS though.