Chrono !! Which One [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Chrono !! Which One

robin303
04-23-2010, 22:13
Donít have one, never seen one, donít know anybody around that even has one and Iím not sure I even need one but I noticed one thing is they arenít very pricey and I was thinking maybe I should get one. I do have a laptop PC I can take to one of the ranges and maybe one of you guys can steer me the right direction of one to get. Iím real happy with Midway and all their stuff but really donít know the pro and cons of them.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
[PS] Do you think my English teacher would bust me on this one. :whistling:

GioaJack
04-23-2010, 22:19
I got a CED M2 a few weeks ago. $199.00 and very, very easy to use. Does pretty much everything but shovel snow and wash the truck... I have the butler do that so no problem. :whistling:

Jack

(Actually I did a thread review on it... may come up in a search.)

srd
04-24-2010, 05:54
I owned a Chrony for several years. It worked ok..sort of.I then picked up a CED M2 last year. To me its worth the money..easier to read..more accurate..not shooting a bullet over the electronics is a little more comforting. Just follow the instructions that come with it and it wil work like a champ.Also has a program for your computer that comes with it to download the information if you desire. I personally wish it had an option for a printer to take with you at the range like an Ohler 35P but you cant have everything. Are you listening CED ?

dsmw5142
04-24-2010, 06:31
CED M2... no doubt about it.

unclebob
04-24-2010, 06:42
CED:thumbsup::thumbsup:
As long as you do not let your friend shoot it.

tlafrance
04-24-2010, 07:54
Prochrono - http://www.competitionelectronics.com/pages/shooting_products.html

I've had the original (Called PAL now) for 15 or so years. They now offer the PLUS model that is digital and can interface with a PC for data download. IIRC it was 89.00 all those years ago and prices have not gone up too much since.

Tom

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2010, 08:22
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199635&highlight=Chrono
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212634

And then search CED M2. It's basically going to be the response/solution everyone gives to people who are having issues with the "other" brands.

n2extrm
04-24-2010, 08:57
I was in your place last year. I bought the CED M2 like jack did. I took it out in December and had a few problems getting readings. All were from low light over all and bad placement. Took it out the second time and was impressed. Caught every shot, data seems reasonable (as in no readings that had to be wrong). I pluged it into the laptop at home, downloaded the data and imported it to excel. It is really a great tool. It gives you all the data you could want and still stays simple to use.

I bought the bag and the tripod as well. The tripod if good enough, I have had no problems. I did read others say it was flimsy. Yes a good quality camera tripod would be stronger I would guess but the one from them is enough for me right now. Last trip there was a little wind and I had no problems without weighting the tripod, but it does have a hook to anchor or weight it down.

WiskyT
04-24-2010, 09:31
I have a Chrony and it works. I use it once every other year, it's like the Johnny Lightning set you had to have when you were a kid and promised your parents you would play with every day. After a week you stop using it. They Chrony, some outdoor light, and a cocktail napkin will give you all you need. BTW, all you need is shot speed, ES, SD, high and low. Importing all the data into spreadsheets is kind of silly, and by silly I mean ghey.

If I had to buy another, I'd get a Chrony, if it was a present, I'd have my parents by the CED.

robin303
04-24-2010, 13:43
Just how far do you set them up from where you shooting. :dunno:

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2010, 14:01
About 15ft or so. Keep in mind the CED has the largest screens so it has the biggest window of opportunity to not screw up.

I will add this thread to the list of why to get the CED as well.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1212931

If that had been a CED he would simply buy a new base or maybe not even have shot anything other then a arm. Nothing tragic but with the other he is out all his money. It's a waste to buy a cheap chrono with the brain under the screens.

WiskyT
04-24-2010, 14:06
The whole Chrony costs about $75.00. How much does it cost to replace the screens on a CED with a well placed shot? BTW, chrono shootings don't just happen. They are due to errors. I hit my first chrono several times before I figured out how not to let it happen. I haven't even come close to shooting the one I have now. Also, my cheapo chrony folds up and fits behind the seat in my truck.

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2010, 14:41
$25 for two screens and $40 for the base. It's highly unlikely that you would need all of those items. But thats worse case. AND the best thing is you actually get a good chrono to use when your NOT shooting it. Bigger screens (less likely to shoot it), better shoot pickup (less likely to shoot it), better accuracy, better system for IR. Seriously, it cost more but its worth more as well. Of course if you seldom use it then it's probably not worth the money. We use my friends chrono at least monthly.

n2extrm
04-24-2010, 16:08
I have a Chrony and it works. I use it once every other year, it's like the Johnny Lightning set you had to have when you were a kid and promised your parents you would play with every day. After a week you stop using it. They Chrony, some outdoor light, and a cocktail napkin will give you all you need. BTW, all you need is shot speed, ES, SD, high and low. Importing all the data into spreadsheets is kind of silly, and by silly I mean ghey.

If I had to buy another, I'd get a Chrony, if it was a present, I'd have my parents by the CED.

I buy my own toys, I am over 40.

The exel spread sheet is nice. It allows you to see the data in an organized way. If you know the program and how to use it it is great. It is only ghey if you don't understand the program and its uses. The chrony is ok it will give you numbers. It's like tools you can buy the made in china wrench or a snap-on. The job they do is the same, how they do it a world apart.

WiskyT
04-24-2010, 18:17
I buy my own toys, I am over 40.

The exel spread sheet is nice. It allows you to see the data in an organized way. If you know the program and how to use it it is great. It is only ghey if you don't understand the program and its uses. The chrony is ok it will give you numbers. It's like tools you can buy the made in china wrench or a snap-on. The job they do is the same, how they do it a world apart.

People use spreadsheets like they use GPS. They go the same way to work everyday but the have the GPS on their dash. Realtors, truckers, and pizza guys are the only people who should be allowed to have GPS. CPA's are the only ones who should be doing spreadsheets, and then only for large amounts of money. I organize the entire 15 numbers on a piece of paper with a ball point pen. They go in a binder. That's it. Power Point, Excel, and GPS are the three most over used things on this planet.

robin303
04-24-2010, 18:48
Power Point, Excel, and GPS are the three most over used things on this planet.

You forgot teenage girls and their cell phones.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2010, 18:49
I use a spreadsheet for work. I must be misguided as well.

fredj338
04-24-2010, 19:42
CED M2... no doubt about it.
Friends don't let friends buy a Chrony. The CED is the best on the market at the moment, IMO. Me, I am lucky, I have an Ohler.:supergrin: