Dillion Powder Measure - Light Load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillion Powder Measure - Light Load

PEC-Memphis
04-24-2010, 09:25
If you use a Dillion press with a Dillion powder measure, you may find this interesting.

I was reloading last night, and noticed that there was a light load at the bullet seating station, which is pretty observant with titegroup in a 9mm. Well maybe not really THAT observant, I had a another clue as well. I heard a "snap" while operating the handle, the kind of snap when the powder bar gets a little gunk on it and it doesn't return smoothly. In this case, the "snap" was during the "down" handle of the operation - not during the return where you might hear the "gunky powder bar snap".

Here's what happened. There is a bellcrank on the right side of the powder measure which pushes the powder bar. There is a boss (the round stud thingy), perhaps an 1/8" of an inch long, on the end of the bell crank. This boss engages a slot on the powder bar to push the bar forward when the operating handle is pushed downward. The fastener (screw) on which the bell crank pivots became slightly loose, which allowed the bell crank to "wobble". The "wobble" would allow the boss to disengage from the slot before the powder bar moved the full distance to drop the powder in the case, resulting in a light charge.

As a side bar, I use a very light application of dry graphite lubricant (the kind for lock keyways/tumblers) on the powder bar and the primer bar.

Load carefully,

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2010, 14:04
Is this the old or new style powder measure. Sounds like the old style.

mteagle1
04-25-2010, 09:38
Based on my 550B manual, that part of the powder measure did not change between the old and new designs. The new fail safe rod replaces the springs but adds the fart knocker. Some flake powders will meter more uniformally with the addition of springs or a rubber band to cause the powder bar to SNAP back settling the powder.

frankmako
04-25-2010, 09:43
sometimes you need to check things before you start. bolts etc.. will all ways work loose. i allways check bolts, screws, and other things before i start a run on my two dillons.

jmorris
04-25-2010, 11:21
Your little round stud thingy should have a little square plastic deal with a hole in it (for the thingy to go into). The square sides ride in the slot of the powder bar. Sounds like you may need to replace the nylock nut if it is loosing up on it's own.

D. Manley
04-25-2010, 12:11
Your little round stud thingy should have a little square plastic deal with a hole in it (for the thingy to go into). The square sides ride in the slot of the powder bar. Sounds like you may need to replace the nylock nut if it is loosing up on it's own.

The "bellcrank cube". Check and be sure it's there, I neglected to replace mine once when having the powder bar out and surprisingly, it did manage to function with it missing. If all the powder system screws are snug then check the obvious...the adjustment of the fail-safe rod tension spring. With the handle full forward (primer seating position) fully tighten the wing nut then, back it off 1 turn.