Large primer hole 45 ACP brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Large primer hole 45 ACP brass

CWPINST
04-24-2010, 12:12
After loading a couple hundred rounds of 45 ACP (230gr. Berrys, and 7.5gr. WAP), I noticed that some of the Winchester brass had large primer holes......approx twice the diameter of the rest of the brass. I suppose that it was originally "clean fire" ammo. I am wondering if that will have a significant impact on pressures. Any thoughts?

OzzyOsbourne
04-24-2010, 15:36
Hmm, that sounds odd.

Normal .45 ACP uses Large Pistol primers.

The Winchester "clean" / green / lead-free / whatever the hell it means uses Small Pistol primers. Those pieces of brass I pitch, as it can really slow down the reloading process, not to mention trying to cram a large primer in a small hole.

Anywho, back to your issue ... if you are using large pistol primers, and the primer holes are twice that size, I don't know *what* that is.

Hopefully, Fred or Jack will chime in. Between those two, they have a billion years (give or take) of loading experience.

ScEd
04-24-2010, 15:41
I think the OP is referring to the Flash Hole not the primer cup.
I have seen a few end up in my range pickups from time to time. Always assumed it was someone drilling out the flash hole for whatever reason. I pitch them into the scrap brass box.

TKM
04-24-2010, 16:11
I've seen them when somebody drills out the flash hole for use with plastic or rubber practice bullets over a primer.

Makes kitty dance....:supergrin:

sorry, I'm sure I meant beercans, not kitty.:upeyes:

GioaJack
04-24-2010, 16:22
Years ago it was not at all uncommon to drill out the flash hole for match, (competition) loads. The thought was that it provided a more uniform ignition... thus a higher degree of accuracy.

Did it myself on a few hundred cases... never noticed a gnat's ass worth of difference. Still depended on a stiff wind to blow my rounds into the X ring.

I forget the drill size we used back then but I do remember you could notice the difference in hole diameter if you looked close... it wasn't something you happened to glance at and said 'my God what happened to that case?'

With all the weird ammo they're coming out with now-a-days, (green ammo, black ammo and ammo with non-fat skim and a dollop of goat's milk whipped cream) I have no idea where you're brass originates... if it's factory or the product of a bored loader.

If you have plenty of .45 brass tuck it away until you accumulate a good supply then trade it off to C4W... he's never seen anything bigger than a .40 so he won't know the difference.

If you're short on brass and just loading mouse flatulence plinking loads you really shouldn't have any problem. My one concern is if the flash hole is actually twice as large as normal a fine grain powder may actually clog around the primer causing possible pressure concerns.

I don't know if that's a legitimate concern but to be on the safe side just trade it to C4W.

Jack

OzzyOsbourne
04-24-2010, 17:06
I think the OP is referring to the Flash Hole not the primer cup.
I have seen a few end up in my range pickups from time to time. Always assumed it was someone drilling out the flash hole for whatever reason. I pitch them into the scrap brass box.

Dang it, I thought this was (finally) a question I could answer!

Your answer makes much more sense though. I'm pretty impressed the OP looks at the flash hole. I don't believe I've EVER looked at the flash hole. Is this something I should be looking for?

Cheers!

buckshotshorty
04-24-2010, 19:13
I have only seen the "clean fire" brass with enlarged flash holes, but, they use small pistol primers; not large.

CWPINST
04-24-2010, 21:23
My bad.....yes it is enlarged FLASH holes with Lg pistol primer pockets.

ScEd
04-25-2010, 06:54
Dang it, I thought this was (finally) a question I could answer!

Your answer makes much more sense though. I'm pretty impressed the OP looks at the flash hole. I don't believe I've EVER looked at the flash hole. Is this something I should be looking for?

Cheers!

Ozzie, I look at the flash-holes in fired brass to see no tumbling media is stuck in them. On new brass I de-burr & uniform the inside of the flash holes. I have one piece of new brass I found with NO flash-hole from years ago. I have done load testing using brass drilled out and not drilled. The difference was so little over the chronograph it was not worth the effort to me. Some shooters believe some powders ignite better, who am I to spoil their fun.

chris in va
04-25-2010, 06:58
I noticed a couple of those too in my range pickup brass. I seriously doubt it was someone drilling out the flash hole in this case.

mteagle1
04-25-2010, 09:24
The original Winchester Win-Clean 45ACP had oversize flash holes because of the primer mixture. Later NT (non-toxic) 45's (Winchester & Federal) used small pistol primers. Did not see any differences in velocity with the larger flash holes. But I now toss all NT brass during the inspection process so I don't have to change primer sizes.

HAMMERHEAD
04-25-2010, 09:59
Winchester says they're OK to reload normally.