Going to get into reloading, starting with .38 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Going to get into reloading, starting with .38

BSA70
04-24-2010, 15:02
I have decided to take the plunge. I will probably only load .38 for my sp101, taurus 85, and .40 for my glock.

I see some items for reloading are hard to get. I have decided to get the materials before getting a press.
The research I have done has pointed to .38 wad cutters. Could you please advise and suggestions and economical sources for projectiles, powder, and primers.

Is it hard to get these items? Appx. what will I have in each round? I have plenty of brass. How many times can I use the brass? I will tackle the .40 round later.

Thanks

DEADLYACCURATE
04-24-2010, 15:22
Bullets Oregon Trail Laser-Cast 158gr SWC
Powder HP38/Win 231 Unique Bullseye
Primers any small pistol primers (I prefer CCI and Remington)

You will also need some manuals

I recomend Lyman 49th Edition, ABCs of reloading, and Speer 14th

DEADLYACCURATE
04-24-2010, 15:30
Oh and with a light charge in .38 special you can get 10 or more reloads with some brass. When you start raising the powder charge the amount of times you can use the brass goes down.

If I were you I would start with the sp101. It is a very tough gun in case you mess up the charge in some way. My 101 is chambered in .357 and I once double charged a close to max load and was fine. I don't know if your 101 is .357 or .38, or if the build differs in the 2 cals, but I'm sure it will be more forgiving if you mess up than the Taurus.

Good Luck :wavey:

DEADLYACCURATE
04-24-2010, 15:33
If for some reason you haven't read this sticky read it before you decide on a press.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027887

DEADLYACCURATE
04-24-2010, 15:36
Once you get the prices of each component plug um into this for total cost per round.

http://www.10xshooters.com/calculators/Handgun_Reloading_Cost_Calculator.htm

BSA70
04-24-2010, 16:29
Ok, thanks for the info! What's the best supplier? Is the primers available now?????

GioaJack
04-24-2010, 16:45
Your choice of components really depends on what you plan on doing with your loads. If you want to shoot NRA targets out to 50 yards the WC is the way to go... much past 50 yards and they start to tumble and keyhole. (Makes spotting hits on 100 yard targets pretty easy.)

Many people prefer the hollow base design but I never really noticed any difference and if you're a caster the extra trouble of a HB just isn't worth it.

If your goal is to shoot poppers or just steel in general you may want to consider a semi-wadcutter design in the 158-162 grain range. Since it's a very versatile weight and design you can load it from an accuracy standpoint, plinking, gaming, hunting and self-defense. A very enjoyable bullet that will keep you from getting bored for a very, very long time.

I don't believe you mentioned what barrel length you plan on shooting but most fixed sight 2 - 2 1/2 revolvers are pretty much sighted for a 158 grain bullet.

As far as primers are concerned you might want to consider placing a bulk order with a place such as Powder Valley for at least 10K and then just buy a brick every now ant then locally until your order is filled.

Even if you discover that you don't care for loading your money will not be wasted... you can resell the primers quicker than a woman on a troop train.

There are more suitable powders for the .38 than Carter has Little Liver Pills and your choice will again depend on the type of loading you plan to do. Basic rule of thumb... lighter the load the faster the powder. Trial and error is part of the enjoyment of loading.

Deadlyaccurate gave you the best advise that anyone could... read, read, read. It will make your journey into the world of loading much safer and enjoyable.

Good luck.

Jack

DEADLYACCURATE
04-24-2010, 17:11
Ok, thanks for the info! What's the best supplier? Is the primers available now?????

primers
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=7273&dir=278|284|737

bullets
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&hasJS=true&_D:hasJS=+&sort=all&QueryText=lasercast&Go.x=26&Go.y=12&_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/search/search-box.jsp.form23

powder
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

for 38 I would get Winchester 231, Alliant Unique, Hodgdon HP38 (same as 231), or Alliant Bullseye

fredj338
04-24-2010, 19:48
SOunds like you have NOT read anything yet. Standard speach: Get The ABCs of Reloading or at the very least, the Lyman #49. Read it/them cover to cover. Then you are ready for such info as how much powder, what kind of primers, etc.
Primers are the toughest thing to get right now. Bullets & powder are pretty much everywhere. IMO, the 148gr WC is more diff to load correctly for the newb, so I would recommend the 158grLSWC. Pretty universal bullet wt. for the 38sp. Do a google search for lead bullets for sale, tons.
The 40 is a little more work to get good/safe loads for, again, read the manuals. For the 40, I would stick w/ plated or jacketed rounds for your 1st 1000. It's just easier to get good accurate loads w/ jacketed in a semiauto than lead for the newb.

BSA70
04-25-2010, 06:29
Thanks so much for all the information! I'm sure I will have more questions later.:whistling:

das9mm26
04-25-2010, 14:29
Just in to echo what fredj338 has said RE: READING MATERIAL!!!!!
This, IMHO, should be the VERY FIRST REQUIREMENT OF ANYONE THINKING ABOUT RELOADING!!!! Get SEVERAL reloading manuals....and ABSORB their contents LIKE A SPONGE!!! The information will answer MANY questions you, as a newcomer, won't even THINK of asking!!! With some working knowledge under your belt, you'll now be in a MUCH better position to make choices in the type of press, what powder(s) for which caliber(s) you want to load, primers, etc.
BTW....fredj338's specific reading list is also +1!!!!:supergrin:
Good luck in your reloading venture.....and Stay Safe!!