Dillon 550b powder filler crushing 9mm cases [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Dillon 550b powder filler crushing 9mm cases

YamaLink
04-24-2010, 19:27
In the last day of reloading many of my 9mm cases have not been going in straight and the rim is being crushed: station #2 in the Dillon 550b.

Glock 34. No issues with casings the last two or three tumbles. Low powder charges of WSF at 4.9 and oal of 1.150 with MG FMJ 124.

Once in a while the top of the case will be crushed by the powder filler. I'll see it and push the case over a hair and then the powder filler goes in straight.

Everything is tight on the Dillon. Once the powder-filled case goes to the bullet seating station everything is good to go.

Mixed brass. Used about 5 or 6 times.

Are the cases getting weak and unable to withstand the normal "push" to the side of the powder filler?

Not all my cases are doing this. Maybe 25%. Just the last day.

fredj338
04-24-2010, 19:38
Make sure you have the right "buttons" in. Take a piece of fine 600g sand paper & polish the nose of the powder thru expander. Then just slow down a bit. The faster you go, the more momentum yo ugive the little cases & they start moving around.

Colorado4Wheel
04-24-2010, 19:59
Check what Fred said. Beyond that I say machine is out of adjustment in some way.

YamaLink
04-24-2010, 20:20
Thanks! I was concentrating on the upper part of the reloader and didn't realize..... The shellplate was a bit loose and not all the cases were seated straight up/down. Visually, obviously, sideways on those "bad" cases.

Hydraulicman
04-24-2010, 21:01
i had the same issue. Make sure your shellplate is not too loose. tighten it all the way down and back it of till your shell plate can index with finger pressure

Hydraulicman
04-24-2010, 23:07
bet he figured it out by now:wavey:

Murphy's Law
04-25-2010, 05:00
It's the shell plate that's causing the problem. Tighten it up a bit and all will be well. The same thing happened to me while loading .223. Simple fix and you'll be back in business.

dudel
04-25-2010, 05:30
Sounds like too loose a shellplate (or the wrong one or pins).

Too loose a shellplate won't hold the brass vertical and won't click into the index ball properly. Do you have the brass tip screw tightened down?

rifleman56
04-25-2010, 07:09
I"m having the same problem. I didn't know the pins were different. how do you know which one goes where?

kimberguy2004
04-25-2010, 07:17
I"m having the same problem. I didn't know the pins were different. how do you know which one goes where?

All of the pins in a given conversion kit are the same. He was taling about using pins with the wrong number stamped on them..

mteagle1
04-25-2010, 09:14
9mm locator buttons have a 3 stamped in them.

Hydraulicman
04-25-2010, 13:39
just loaded 400 9mm

no problems #3 buttons tighten the shellplate all the way down and then back off till it turns with finger pressure.

BTW loading with lubed brass rocks

shotgunred
04-25-2010, 14:00
Been having the same problem the last week.
Polishing the powder funnel didn't make a difference. I took the shell plate off and cleaned everything. maybe I just like my plate to loose. It sure doesn't happen with the 40.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 16:15
If your powder funnel is crushing cases your either got the wrong buttons or your shellplate is loose. Thats about all I can think of. Polishing the funnel will help with any sticking but not with crushing cases. Crushing things is a alignment issue.

PCJim
04-25-2010, 18:47
As already stated, the problem is caused by a loose shellplate. Been there, done that. I have a thread here somewhere with pics of three 9mm casings that I'm sure look just like yours do.

Loosen the set screw for your shellplate bolt, remove the shellplate and give the area under the shellplate a good cleaning. Reinstall and tighten to just allow indexing. Don't forget to retighten the set screw.