How to use ISOHUNT? How to get free movies or books online? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to use ISOHUNT? How to get free movies or books online?

alfred10
04-24-2010, 20:12
How can I use ISOHUNT? I want to get tactical videos and books online.

mitchshrader
04-24-2010, 20:24
why would someone fail to inform you of ways to steal copyrighted material, on a website that is based on copyrighted material?

uh, could BE that the website owner doesn't WANT anyone to steal copyrighted material..

just guessing.

kc8ykd
04-25-2010, 04:12
There are plenty of free, legal, ebooks available, one just needs to search for them.

While they are likely to be hosted on websites, it's quite possible they're available for download via torrents.

here's a decent list of sites w/legal free ebooks:
http://tech.blorge.com/Structure:%20/2008/12/05/great-sites-for-free-ebooks/

one would need to find a name of a legal free ebook and use isohunt to search for it to see if it's available via torrent. it would be the same book, just different delivery method.

same goes for tactical videos. i'm sure there are some available, but i've never looked into them personally.

best bet would be to start with google, searching for something similar to 'free tactical video'. using google's video search would probably yield the best results.

lots of things are distributed legally via torrents, in addition to lots of linux distributions, some musicians release music in that method in order to generate interest in their material (the trick is figuring out which ones do this, due to the enormous amount of illegal downloads floating around).

Linux3
04-25-2010, 07:38
How can I use ISOHUNT? I want to get tactical videos and books online.
Do you mean free as in "I don't charge for this movie, I just made it for fun".

Or do you mean free as in "How about we go over to Alfred10's house and steal his lawn furniture, it's just sitting there"?

I have no sympathy for the RIAA or MPAA but more and more I can understand their frustration. Just because someone put copy write materials on the web doesn't mean it's OK to steal it. And it is stealing which too many people seem to just ignore.

Oh well, Linux3, ripped off software author steps down from his soapbox.

SanityAssassin
04-25-2010, 07:44
why would someone fail to inform you of ways to steal copyrighted material, on a website that is based on copyrighted material?

uh, could BE that the website owner doesn't WANT anyone to steal copyrighted material..

just guessing.
Dude, this place is a hotbed of copyright infringement, HerrGlock alone has copied half the world's newspaper stories :P

alfred10
04-25-2010, 18:11
What exactly is ISOHUNT? How do I search for Ebooks other than on GOOGLE. Im looking for things like:
Magpul Dynamics The Art Of The Tactical Carbine Vol. 1.

kc8ykd
04-25-2010, 18:46
I don't believe you'll find a legal free download of that title, it doesn't appear that Magpul has released it for free public distribution.

any copies you find online for free would be illegal downloads.

Green_Manelishi
04-25-2010, 19:05

just guessing.

You do realize it ain't stealin' if ebrybudy be doin' it !!! :wow:

HKUSP45Css
04-26-2010, 14:19
Do you mean free as in "I don't charge for this movie, I just made it for fun".

Or do you mean free as in "How about we go over to Alfred10's house and steal his lawn furniture, it's just sitting there"?

I have no sympathy for the RIAA or MPAA but more and more I can understand their frustration. Just because someone put copy write materials on the web doesn't mean it's OK to steal it. And it is stealing which too many people seem to just ignore.

Oh well, Linux3, ripped off software author steps down from his soapbox.

The problem with words is that they have meaning. It isn't theft if you aren't deprived of the object. When I make a copy of something, nothing is stolen, it has been "created anew" from a source.

Now, you can argue that you have been deprived of the money you would have charged someone to use your creation but, what if the "copier" never intended to buy it in the first place and was only interested in the product if it were free?

It's difficult to justify calling it "theft" when nobody has actually lost anything. In fact, if I make a copy of something you have, isn't that the exact opposite of theft?

Green_Manelishi
04-26-2010, 14:28
The problem with words is that they have meaning. It isn't theft if you aren't deprived of the object. When I make a copy of something, nothing is stolen, it has been "created anew" from a source.

Now, you can argue that you have been deprived of the money you would have charged someone to use your creation but, what if the "copier" never intended to buy it in the first place and was only interested in the product if it were free?

It's difficult to justify calling it "theft" when nobody has actually lost anything. In fact, if I make a copy of something you have, isn't that the exact opposite of theft?

How old are you?

SanityAssassin
04-26-2010, 15:08
How old are you?

Apparently, old enough to make a distinction between 'theft' and unlicensed reproduction of copyrighted material :dunno:

Green_Manelishi
04-26-2010, 15:24

And if it's not free the copier will simply make an "unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted material" rather than "steal" it.

mitchshrader
04-26-2010, 15:30
I notice the distinction is entirely a matter of definition, and the folks selling value which copyright protects are known to have differences of opinion on that topic from folks trying to get something free.

I have no problem with someone stealing software or music or videos or any other sort of downloadable property, but neither am I going to enable it while on a site that isn't particularly theft-friendly.

It would be rude, undiplomatic, silly, and not in my own best interests. And as far as using ISO hunt to snag legal e books, uh, ok. I'll believe in that AND the Easter Bunny; a two for one deal, just for you.

I'm not trying to claim expertise, but several computers and way north of a dozen loose hard drives says I might be informed. If you have glock questions or knife or carry issue questions, or all those other topics GT forums address, this is the right place.

If your questions concern snagging info informally, there are better forums.

Linux3
04-26-2010, 15:37
What, what? This is one of the most twisted thought processes to justify theft I have read.
If the creation in not free you can't just say that you can steal it but it isn't stealing because you would only use it if you steal it. It the author, artist software designer charges for the creation and you don't pay for it it's theft. If you will only use it if it's free than it has value, you want to use it. If the cost is more than you want to pay, then find a substitute.
Songs, movies, software, the value is in people viewing or using the product. If you use it for free you have ripped someone off.

SanityAssassin
04-26-2010, 15:41
And if it's not free the copier will simply make an "unauthorized reproduction of copyrighted material" rather than "steal" it.
Well, see, you must be old enough also. You seem to understand the difference too.
Patents and copyright have their place, but violation of those shouldn't be confused with material theft.

But more to the point, I'd assume the TOS says no discussion of illegal activities. So yeah, don't expect someone here to assist you in breaking the law (unless it is seditious conspiracy :whistling: ).
Discussion of whether federal law enforcement resources should be used to pursue what clearly should be handled though civil actions should be acceptable though.

HKUSP45Css
04-27-2010, 11:42
What, what? This is one of the most twisted thought processes to justify theft I have read.
If the creation in not free you can't just say that you can steal it but it isn't stealing because you would only use it if you steal it. It the author, artist software designer charges for the creation and you don't pay for it it's theft. If you will only use it if it's free than it has value, you want to use it. If the cost is more than you want to pay, then find a substitute.
Songs, movies, software, the value is in people viewing or using the product. If you use it for free you have ripped someone off.

I was actually just playing devil's advocate. As someone who has created intellectual property with a good deal of "value" in the past I certainly understand the attraction to the "theft" lable when some uses software or other IP without paying for it.

That said, the logic that I presented is sound though. I can't steal an unquantifiable product like "value" any more than I can damage an unquantifiable product like your "karma."

ChristopherBurg
04-28-2010, 08:14
How to use ISOHUNT? How to get free movies or books online?Nice try MPAA and RIAA. We're on to you!

MB-G26
04-28-2010, 17:53
I'd assume the TOS says no discussion of illegal activities.

It does.

And worse than that, it's a helluva good way to pizz off BGH.