Anybody else here recycle brass? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else here recycle brass?

KiloBravo
04-25-2010, 07:34
I have been picking up EVERYTHING I find at the range lately. Not only for when I start reloading, but also the aluminum cased stuff and brass for calibers I never plan on loading for.

I have four buckets going so far. One with brass and nickle plated casings in the calibers I own and will load for. Another one has all of the aluminum casings in it, and the third one has all of the steel cased stuff. I also have one with all of the "junk" rimfire and unusable brass in it.

My thinking is, I can take the junk brass, aluminum, and steel to recycle and make a few extra bucks off of.

Does anybody else take the time to sort all of this out to scrap later on for a few extra pennies? Or do most of you just take the brass for what you reload for? I was amazed how quickly the "junk" brass accumulated. It will not take long at all to gather a few pounds of the stuff for scrap money.

n2extrm
04-25-2010, 07:54
I keep what I might load for. I know guys who will sort out what they don't want and list it on gunbroker or in the want adds on their favorite forum. You might do better that way then recycling centers, at least on the brass.

RustyFN
04-25-2010, 08:49
I only pick up brass and nickel cases. I sort them by caliber and save what I load for. I will trade the calibers I don't load for or sometimes give it to friends that can use it.

mteagle1
04-25-2010, 09:07
Since reaching the advanced years I only pick up what I put down.

CaptToyota
04-25-2010, 09:08
Do your club a favor and clean it up.

I grab most all I can get away with, sort it, file it accordingly.

Few yr ago, I took and raked the empties from around the bench area, then took home in buckets. Sat out on porch with buckets sorting scrap, loadable, aluminum, and steel.

Around here, the places have gotten funny about empties... I have resorted to hiding 3-5 aluminum Blazer inside my aluminum cans, as I mash them (cans) flat so they take up little space.

Scrap brass just goes into drum for time being. One place asked about live ammo, I told them I am only person to access the container, and I have went through it to be sure.

Loadable brass get sorted and stored for later trade or sale when somebody looking, of course,,,, I keep what I load for.

srd
04-25-2010, 20:13
I pick up all the loadable brass i find . Save what i load for and give the rest to people i know that reload in that caliber. They do the same for me.

burnsoft
04-25-2010, 20:59
I've been collecting 22 cal brass and misc bad brass that cracked, or just unable to use it to reload with in a bin, once the bin fills up I was going to take it to a scrap metal place to recycle. But it's a slow process since 22's are small and out of 300 used pistol cases, i will get a less than a hand full that cracks. Over that past year it is 1/3 full. If you do take some down to get recycled let me know how it goes.

Any other brass that I pick up and do not reload, I keep in another bin to save just in case I do end up reloading for it, or know someone that can use that case.

Angry Fist
04-25-2010, 21:02
Deer Predator... Send me a Postage Paid Flat-rate box, and I'll send it back fulla 9 brass for ya... :wavey:

robin303
04-25-2010, 22:19
I save 9mm and 40 S&W and give the other to people at pistol matches.

dudel
04-26-2010, 08:57
I have been picking up EVERYTHING I find at the range lately. Not only for when I start reloading, but also the aluminum cased stuff and brass for calibers I never plan on loading for.

Personally, I don't pick up every piece of brass I don't use. I figure someone else will pick it up if they need it or the range will sweep it up, sort it, clean it and sell it to those who want to buy clean brass.

By collecting all the brass you don't need, you make it that much more difficult for those who do. At the range, we call those type brass pigs. Over here, it's considered bad form to take what you don't need (or even more than you can use).

RustyFN
04-26-2010, 09:04
Just a heads up for the one's keeping scrap brass to sell to the scrap yard. I have heard they won't take it unless it has been deprimed. You might want to check with your scrap yard before you have a truck load to do all at one time.

KiloBravo
04-26-2010, 20:54
Just a heads up for the one's keeping scrap brass to sell to the scrap yard. I have heard they won't take it unless it has been deprimed. You might want to check with your scrap yard before you have a truck load to do all at one time.

Good call. I will give them a call about that.

On another note, I have checked out two ranges in the last two days and found a great deal of 9 and 40 and even a few 380. Out of the box I brought home today, I bet I scored maybe around 300 rounds worth of brass or so.

I also picked up a copy of the ABC's of reloading and the Hornady loading manual. The kit that C4W recommended as starter kit also includes a copy of the Speer manual. That will give me two loading books to start.

Thanks to everybody thus far for your input. I love to learn, esp about something that you need to take seriously and be safe.

pacountryboy
04-27-2010, 21:24
take the primers out and sell it....alot places around us will consider it clean brass

PCJim
04-27-2010, 22:13
The best means of recycling spent brass is to make sure someone who will reload it gets it. Selling reloadable brass to a recycling center is just a waste of a good resource.

Milltown
04-28-2010, 17:04
Recently me and a friend spent parts or two day picking brass that was deemed unworthy or to much work by others. We picked it up out of an inch or so of dirt/mud and got two 5 gallon buckets of .45 a 5 gallon bucket .40, 500 rnds of .223, 500 rnds of .38 .357 and various amounts of other cartridges.

It was definitely work, but now we have quite a bit of brass.

proraptor
04-29-2010, 17:03
I also dont agree with selling it to recycling centers. I pick it all up and tumble it and use what I need and give the rest to others that need it

harleyfx69
04-29-2010, 17:12
ive only got lucky once or twice at our shooting spot,

once was decent haul of 357 / 38 special, and other time a bit of .45 acp..

every other time its mostly just been my rounds i fired that day, and occasionally one or two i missed the time before

KiloBravo
04-29-2010, 18:14
I also dont agree with selling it to recycling centers. I pick it all up and tumble it and use what I need and give the rest to others that need it

That's a good idea too. Thanks for the tip!

KiloBravo
04-29-2010, 18:15
ive only got lucky once or twice at our shooting spot,

once was decent haul of 357 / 38 special, and other time a bit of .45 acp..

every other time its mostly just been my rounds i fired that day, and occasionally one or two i missed the time before

That's awesome. I had a pretty good day earlier this week after work. I ran out to one of the local outdoor ranges and stumbled into a fair amount of .40 and 9MM. I was happy. :supergrin:

GLShooter
04-29-2010, 19:08
I sell it primers and all at the scrap yard. I get rid of stuff that is corroded or nobody wants like old military German brass berdan primed stuff. Or 40 S&W when no one will even pay scrap price for it!!

The yards will knock the price down here if there is ANY 22 brass mixed in. That is a no no for them. (3 yards have told me this)

I groom it for aluminum and steel cases before i sell it. I will sell excess wanted stuff on the boards and have turned over 125,00 pieces in the past few years.

I'm setting on 10,000 40 S&W's right now I need to turn. Offers??:wavey:

Greg

KiloBravo
04-29-2010, 19:30
I sell it primers and all at the scrap yard. I get rid of stuff that is corroded or nobody wants like old military German brass berdan primed stuff. Or 40 S&W when no one will even pay scrap price for it!!

The yards will knock the price down here if there is ANY 22 brass mixed in. That is a no no for them. (3 yards have told me this)

I groom it for aluminum and steel cases before i sell it. I will sell excess wanted stuff on the boards and have turned over 125,00 pieces in the past few years.

I'm setting on 10,000 40 S&W's right now I need to turn. Offers??:wavey:

Greg

That is good to know. I would have never guessed that .22 brass would bring the price down. That is most of the stuff I have in that bucket to get rid of, LOL. :embarassed:

MarcusT
04-29-2010, 19:50
That is good to know. I would have never guessed that .22 brass would bring the price down. That is most of the stuff I have in that bucket to get rid of, LOL. :embarassed:

Me too I'm hoping the scrap yard I'm planning on going to doesn't have that policy.

GLShooter
04-29-2010, 20:18
Me too I'm hoping the scrap yard I'm planning on going to doesn't have that policy.

I don't know if they will take 22 separately as I've never accumulated enough of it to bother with. I bet hey will take it but not for the regular price of the scrap brass. BTW last I sold went for $1/50/lb. I have gotten up to $2.00/lb in the past.

Greg

G36_Me
04-29-2010, 20:27
Since I don't have a lot of brass that I don't use, I'm not really thinking about recycling. What I do is keep a ziplock bag on my reloading bench labeled 'recycle'. I put my 'bad' brass in the bag; when it gets full I take it to the indoor range and dump it in their bucket. They 'do what they do' with the brass. I figure this is better than throwing in the garbage.