147GR Bulge in 9MM Case [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 147GR Bulge in 9MM Case

W4CNG
04-25-2010, 13:14
I just bought 1500 Gold Dot HP's 9MM 147GR bullets. I am using the Speer #14 Reloading Book (2008). Bullets mike out at .355 as listed in book. I am using Unique powder in the middle of the recommended charge. I always start with 10 loaded bullets when working with a new bullet or powder. This is my first time with 147GR bullets. The problem is after seating the bullet, there is a bulge in the case at the bottom of the bullet. The case will then not chamber check as it sticks at the bulge. Out of 10 bullets only 2 will chamber check and they have a very slight bulge. The bulge is only on about half the diameter of the case almost like the bullet was getting seated not quite in a vertical manner so it would have equal pressure on the whole case. Bullet is being seated to 1.13". The seating die has just been cleaned so there is no gunk in it. Cases are all once fired, cleaned and tumbled. Loader is Dillon SDB. I have tried to move the flaring die down a little to see if that would help but no go.

I am not new to reloading, but this is a real stumper. Any help would be appreciated.

ScEd
04-25-2010, 13:37
Ive seen issues cropping up with Remington Cases recently. Other than that if you have a FCD you could try squeezing the bulge out with it. That's a unique issue from your description. Never ran into such a problem myself.

WiskyT
04-25-2010, 14:08
The bullet is getting tilted. It doesn't take much to ruin your day. The seater stem has to fit your bullet nose. It's actually a pretty common problem.

HAMMERHEAD
04-25-2010, 17:05
The bullet is getting tilted. It doesn't take much to ruin your day. The seater stem has to fit your bullet nose. It's actually a pretty common problem.
+1
I started 9mm with Lee dies and the seater stem is almost flat where it contacts the bullet's nose, so it gives no help in aligning the bullet. The threads that hold it in the die are so sloppy that I could see the stem tilt a little each time it seated. Accuracy was mediocre at best.
I finally ordered a Redding competition seater die, kinda' spendy, but worth it. The seating stem is spring loaded and aligns the bullet before it seats it. The stem has a cone shape recess that matches up with bullet noses much better.
Redding seater die (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=126941)

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 17:05
What die are you using for seating? Are you crimping at the same time?

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 17:08
I started 9mm with Lee dies and the seater stem is almost flat where it contacts the bullet's nose, so it gives no help in aligning the bullet.[/URL]

My 9mm Lee Seater is cone shaped. Pretty much the same as the Hornady. I am using the Hornady now but not with out some teething pains fighting this exact issue. The Hornady In Line Seater is not as good as I hoped when new. But once I tuned it up it's working perfect now.

D. Manley
04-25-2010, 17:47
What die are you using for seating? Are you crimping at the same time?

He's loading on a Dillon SDB, no choice on the setup. I've never loaded any GD bullets on mine but I suspect it's that gaping mouth that may be creating the problem...I'd try the flat-nosed seating stem and see if it improves.

W4CNG
04-25-2010, 18:11
Thanks for the ideas and info. I am going to look for another seating die in one of my other calibers to see what type of top it has. Also have been told to look at Winchester Brass to see if it is better. Press is clean and level.

ron59
04-25-2010, 18:51
He's loading on a Dillon SDB, no choice on the setup.

Yeesh... forgot about the "proprietary dies" on the SDB... can't use other dies. A big reason NOT to choose the SDB, IMHO.

I just ordered the Redding Competition Seater die for my 550B; it has a "micrometer" seating adjustment. I have 3 different 9mm bullets I want to load for, and with this I'll be able to dial in the seating depth for each one, then write down the setting and go right back to it when I need to. I didn't even know about these until Steve (C4W) mentioned them in another thread.

There's a lot to be said for flexibility, and having choices... which you don't get with the SDB. :frown:

W4CNG
04-25-2010, 18:56
Problem Solved! Bullet seated to 1.03 not 1.13". Found this after taking seating die out, checking it and re-installing it with new bullet at 1.13 and all was well. Measured the others and discovered 1.03 seating depth. It always pays to measure twice and press once. Lesson learned, just check a little closer.

Thanks to all!

dudel
04-25-2010, 20:47
Problem Solved! Bullet seated to 1.03 not 1.13". Found this after taking seating die out, checking it and re-installing it with new bullet at 1.13 and all was well. Measured the others and discovered 1.03 seating depth. It always pays to measure twice and press once. Lesson learned, just check a little closer.

Thanks to all!

Ah, and with the inward taper of the 9mm case, you get the bulge.

Glad you got it figured out.

Colorado4Wheel
04-25-2010, 20:53
Actually, as the bullet goes deeper the case is bigger on the outside. BUT, the case is also thicker at the base so it bulges the case. My 147gr Lyman mold has a tapered bullet to avoid this thicker part of the case.

W4CNG
04-26-2010, 20:18
All the more to Chamber Check all bullits before shooting them.