9MM 124gr HP Load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 9MM 124gr HP Load

zeke66
04-25-2010, 13:58
Since HP ammo has been so hard to find, I decided to roll my own 9MM SD rounds.

Finally got a shipment in of Remington 124gr JHP. Did my research and started with 4.4 grs of W231, loaded to an OAL of 1.123. Loaded some at 4.4, 4.6, 4.7 & 4.9 grs. Shot each progressively, looking for pressure signs. Got through the 4.9 batch with no adverse results or signs. All loads shot to POA.

I think I'm going to adopt the 4.9 gr loads as my new SD round, loaded into virgin Starline brass. I don't have a chrono, so this is the best guestimate I could come up with. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

gunreviewonmyspace
04-25-2010, 14:07
I've been thinking about using my handloads for sd for some time. I have found excellent loads in .45acp, and .357mag comercially for self defense, but truly great 9mm, and .40cal loads that meet their full potential are hard to find. Please keep us updated to your results, as well as powder choice, weapon, and barrel length.

Why did you choose the 124g? I usually use the 147 for better penetration, or the 115g+P+ for better hydrostatic and less penetration. I don't know much about the 124 as a comparison...... what's your reasoning/rational?

PS: M. Ayoob recommends not using handloads for self defense because of legal issues, and I have always followed that advice, but I am not sure if it is that important if you live in a free state IE:TX, AZ, AK, MT, VT......

Please keep us updated!

zeke66
04-25-2010, 14:15
I've been thinking about using my handloads for sd for some time. I have found excellent loads in .45acp, and .357mag comercially for self defense, but truly great 9mm, and .40cal loads that meet their full potential are hard to find. Please keep us updated to your results, as well as powder choice, weapon, and barrel length.

Why did you choose the 124g? I usually use the 147 for better penetration, or the 115g+P+ for better hydrostatic and less penetration. I don't know much about the 124 as a comparison...... what's your reasoning/rational?

PS: M. Ayoob recommends not using handloads for self defense because of legal issues, and I have always followed that advice, but I am not sure if it is that important if you live in a free state IE:TX, AZ, AK, MT, VT......

Please keep us updated!

The loads will be shot out of a G17, G19 and a Kel Tec P11. All stock barrels. I chose the 124gr because the 147 gr stuff has been reported by some to not feed (especially in the Kel Tec) quite as reliably. I figured the 124 was a decent compromise. I'd really like to load some +P or +P+ stuff, but published data for such a round is hard to find and I'm on the ragged edge of published data now with 4.9 grs of W231 behind a 124 gr bullet. I don't like to venture beyond published norms, although I reckon there's some margin of safety built in.

fredj338
04-25-2010, 14:38
You'll get all kinds of flak for loading your own, I would only do it for SHTF ammo. For daily carry, it's rpetty easy to find affordable SD rounds on the net. I do like the Rem 124grJHP, it's a sleeper. Loaded to 1200fps, it expands quite well thru 2layers of denim in wetpack. Your load will be running around 1150fps in a G17 depending on OAL. I have run the same bullet o/ 4.8gr @ 1.120" for 1140fps. I prefer WSF or Unique, gets you safely to 1200fps & to 1250fps if you want to go +P. The bullet will expand to 61cal+ @ 1200fps. The 124grRGS is also available as is the 124grSGD & would be slightly better choices IMO.