Problem with AVG antivirus. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problem with AVG antivirus.

zxracer3
04-25-2010, 17:56
I have been using the free version of AVG as an anti virus program for several years now. AVG recently requested that I update the program and when I did my computer would not restart (my computer has since been fixed). My friend who also uses AVG had the same happen to him as well. Has anyone else had any recent problems with AVG?

IndyGunFreak
04-25-2010, 18:24
Nope.. sister and brother both use AVG.. I called my brother to ask him if they'd updated, he replied in the affirmative, and said it was fine.

IGF

JohnBT
04-26-2010, 06:04
Other than the popup asking me to upgrade to the NEW IMPROVED AVG every time I boot up?

Noooooo, I don't have any complaints about their free software. And no, there's no little button to click to tell it to go away. Screw them.

John

Adjuster
04-26-2010, 11:08
No problems here running WinXP Pro.

MicroBurst
04-26-2010, 21:46
Try Avast .. another great free one ..

zxracer3
04-26-2010, 22:25
Try Avast .. another great free one ..

I had Avast before AVG. Others have recommend Avast, but there are some complaints with it crashing the operating system and requiring a lot of updates. Some people recommended MSE but I'm not to familiar with it.

Steve in PA
04-26-2010, 23:25
I'm a happy Avast user. I have it on my laptop, our desktop and on two computers at work. My laptop is running Windows Vista with the others running XP. No computer crashes. Updates are set to automatic and only get one or two a day??

GIockGuy24
04-26-2010, 23:46
The newest Avast has good detection and no pop up ads. Avira has great detection but some pop up and sometimes web page ads. MSE is really slick and works well. MSE should be no trouble and it's super easy to use, and no pop ups.

skanless
04-27-2010, 00:00
I used all of them and now use avira. Been using it over a year now withoit a problem.

-Jeremiah-
04-28-2010, 20:52
I used AVG free for several years. I finally got tired of it's nagging and quirky behavior and switched to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Actually it was called Morro and was in beta when I started using it.

It's lightweight, doesn't hog system resources, and ties in very nicely with Windows' built in firewall. It's free and there isn't a paid version, so no nag screens/popups.

MSE is now the only AV that I run our all four of our computers including a dedicated Media Center HTPC that is running 24/7.