Best place for .45 Gold Dots & issues on practice ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best place for .45 Gold Dots & issues on practice ammo

PsychoKnight
04-25-2010, 19:52
Haven't been shooting nor loading for the last two years, but life is returning to normal now and ready to set up shop and get going again. Been out of the loop on purchasing components and would be grateful if any of you could save me time from researching which company currently delivers Gold Dot .45 (185gr) bullets for the lowest price, shipped.

On a related but different topic: I have several thousands of 230gr FMJ bullets I got on the cheap before prices went crazy. Yet, I intend to use 185gr HP for my defense rounds. Is there any point to my practicing w/ 230's simply because I have a stockpile of them - or will that cause muscle/reflex training confusion to practice with one type of round but rely on a different type of round for defense use? I assume military and law enforcement only practice with rounds identical to their carry ammo? What's the thinking on this issue?

I no longer shoot for recreation, only to further tactical proficiency. Should I only practice with the expensive Gold Dots?

Thanks for any advice.
PK

ron59
04-26-2010, 05:14
I no longer shoot for recreation, only to further tactical proficiency.

Welcome back to the forums, Gecko45. You ever figure out the solution to those plates in the back to help catch those rounds? :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

To answer one of your questions, I don't think you need to practice with the EXACT round you plan to carry with, just one that "behaves" the same... ie same bullet weight should be fine?

I suspect most 185gr bullets are going to feel similar enough (assuming the same load) that you'd have a hard time feeling the difference. Maybe do some experimenting... but shooting ONLY the Gold Dots will put a hole in your pocket a lot quicker.

As far as "where is the cheapest"... I tend to buy all my stuff from Midway. They have the best prices, but their shipping is a little higher. I tend to wait until I have several things I want to buy and do it all at the same time.
I'd check Graf's, as they have lower shipping, but generally slightly higher prices.

Colorado4Wheel
04-26-2010, 07:16
You don't need to practice with what you carry. When your thinking of your bullet (not ammo) while you practice your not focusing on the right thing. Bullet choice has nothing to do with your draw, shooting on the move, hitting a moving target, etc. It might have a very small change on follow up shot "feel" but if the bullets are the same weight I would be stunned if you could tell the difference. I would shoot up those 230gr bullets. Load them to "feel" like your carry ammo. Then buy 180 ish gr bullets in the future.