PM9 Defensive Ammo ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PM9 Defensive Ammo ?

The Retired Sarge
04-25-2010, 21:32
Taking a serious look at the PM9. Does anyone run 147gr HST or Ranger T through their PM9 and how does it work or not work. Thanks-Bill

Hubadub
04-26-2010, 04:21
I`ve run both through my PM9 with no problems at all.As a matter of fact,I`ve yet to have any problems with any type of ammo.I`ve put over 1500 rounds through mine with nary a hiccup.I did a waterjug test with the Ranger T[ which are really useless tests unless you are attacked by a gallon of water] and they penetrated 4 gallon jugs and expanded beautifully.In my opinion,the PM9 is the best pocket 9 that you can buy and that includes the Rorbaugh for the simple reason that the PM9 is +P rated and tougher.Of course you know the old saying about opinions.:wavey:

The Retired Sarge
04-26-2010, 07:08
Thank you very much for the good information. Good to know that the PM9 will cycle the heavy nines. Bill

user
04-26-2010, 07:18
That teeny-weeny gun is a bit hard to control for me - amazing accuracy at bench-rest, but anything that adds any kick is a problem for me shooting off-hand. So I keep to 124 grain 9mm only (not plus-P). I only use 147 grain in a carbine, and only use plus-P in a Sig 226. I regard HST and HydraShok as equivalent. Remington Golden Saber produces less recoil, but also has less kinetic energy (and more crud in the gun, in my opinion).

The gun can handle it, but I can't handle the gun as well with heavier bullets and more powerful loads.

OldLincoln
04-26-2010, 15:04
Some ballistic testing and expert advice from others have me convinced to use 124g in the PM9. Something about velocity out of the short barrel and it penetrates better than the 142g. I've settled on the Spear 9mm Gold Dot SB (Short Barrel) 124g.

the perfesser
04-26-2010, 18:00
I ran 14 rounds of the Hornady Critical Defense through my PM9 a couple of months ago without any problems. Accuracy seemed good. Am stockpiling some more -- I find it difficult to find -- before I do some serious functionality testing. Does anyone else have any experience with this ammo and the PM9?

Hubadub
04-26-2010, 18:48
I ran 14 rounds of the Hornady Critical Defense through my PM9 a couple of months ago without any problems. Accuracy seemed good. Am stockpiling some more -- I find it difficult to find it -- before I do some serious functionality testing. Does anyone else have any experience with this ammo and the PM9?
Golden Loki did some gel tests of the Critical Defense ammo using a Kel Tec with a 3.1 inch barrel.That is only a tenth of an inch longer than the PM9 barrel so the results should be very close to each other.The rounds averaged 14.5 inches of penetration and expanded to .477. You can google Golden Loki and check out their test results for other brands of ammunition and calibers.I`ve fired many different bullet weights in my PM9 and have settled on the 124 grain Speer Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber for SD carry. There are several rounds that perform very well in 9mm and most are easy to find at gun stores.

ArtificialGrape
04-27-2010, 00:25
I also carry 124gr Gold Dots in mine. I've run a couple of mags of the 147gr GD with no problem as well.

The Retired Sarge
04-28-2010, 08:02
Thanks to all for the good information. Last night at the range I had the rare opportunity to shoot a friends PM9. I was very impressed with the PM9's soft shooting, easy to control, and very accurate. It was flawless with several types of 9mm ammo and shot the 147HST very well. Bill

Bob45acp
04-29-2010, 09:08
I've run 147 grain, Ranger SXT through mine, no hiccups. I think it recoils more than the Corbon DPX 115gr though. The DPX is my favorite. Feeds well, solid copper bullet, will definitely expand, 1150ft per second (maybe slightly slower out of the PM9 barrel) but surprisingly the DPX doesn't recoil as much as I expected.

I run DPX in all of my Glock too.

cowboy1964
05-01-2010, 23:24
Golden Loki did some gel tests of the Critical Defense ammo using a Kel Tec with a 3.1 inch barrel.That is only a tenth of an inch longer than the PM9 barrel so the results should be very close to each other.The rounds averaged 14.5 inches of penetration and expanded to .477.

That seems like pretty minimal expansion.

cowboy1964
05-01-2010, 23:27
I just can't bring myself to spend $1.50+ per DPX when I can get HST and Gold Dots for $0.60.