Questions regarding roll crimping [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding roll crimping

XDRoX
04-25-2010, 22:53
Tonight I loaded my first 38spl. I posted a lot of questions in my other thread and got a lot of good answers but I am still a little puzzled by the roll crimp.

How do I know when enough is enough?
I gave it my best effort. It took me almost an hour to load 10 rounds. This is what I came up with. Can you guys tell by looking at the picture if I did a good job? I don't mind pulling them and re-doing them if I need to. I honestly don't know if I am using too much crimp or not enough.
Thanks
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/38spl1.jpg

http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/38spl2.jpg

Biggest Dawg
04-25-2010, 23:46
Hi,

From the pic, looks about right to a little more than necessary. As you probably know, the crimp is to keep the bullet from pulling out when the other cartridges in the cylinder are fired.

BD

fredj338
04-26-2010, 01:56
It looks like the crimp is slightly over done. When it start ot straighten out like it shows, back it off maybe a 1/4 turn. It should just be rolled over into the crimp groove.

XDRoX
04-26-2010, 08:11
Safe to shoot? Or should I pull them?

GioaJack
04-26-2010, 09:11
Shoot 'em, it won't hurt a thing. They actually look pretty good for your first time. Like Fred said, you can back it off just a smidgen but overall it's a nice looking bullet.

See... wasn't that hard with a three die set... you just weren't sure what you were looking for.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-26-2010, 09:22
Looks pretty good for a guy who didn't know what the blue stuff was in the a lead bullet.

XDRoX
04-26-2010, 09:22
Shoot 'em, it won't hurt a thing. They actually look pretty good for your first time. Like Fred said, you can back it off just a smidgen but overall it's a nice looking bullet.

See... wasn't that hard with a three die set... you just weren't sure what you were looking for.

Jack

Thank Jack. I've never loaded lead before, it's dirty. I don't know why but I heard the the Lone Ranger theme song in my head while I was loading them.

XDRoX
04-26-2010, 09:23
Looks pretty good for a guy who didn't know what the blue stuff was in the a lead bullet.

Thanks Steve, I'll take that as a compliment.:supergrin:

fredj338
04-26-2010, 13:56
Safe to shoot? Or should I pull them?
Like Jack said, certainly safe to shoot, but you're just working the brass more than needed. YEs,lead bullets are a bit dirtier, but so much cheaper. Guys around here are so happy saving 2/10 of a penny per round using Tg, but then shoot an 8c jacketed bullet vs a 6c lead bullet/:dunno: If you ever get into casting it's almost liek shootign for free.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
04-26-2010, 20:26
Thanks Steve, I'll take that as a compliment.:supergrin:

Good, thats how it was intended.

dudel
04-27-2010, 01:19
Over done maybe a smidge. Back off a bit, say a 1/4 turn. Safe to shoot.

To imagine the ideal crimp, put your hand out, and bend the fingers at the first and second joint so they are pointing in about 45 degrees. The fingers should be located into the cannelure of the projectile.

Overcrimping (so the the tips of the fingers are pointing back to the palm of your hand) will still work; but overworks the brass and gives you less reloads per rounds. The brass will eventually split at the case mouth. Sort of why to don't overflare the brass to get the projectile started. You want to mimimize the flexing of the case mouth and still lock in the projectile.

Strong work for the first time.

FM12
04-28-2010, 16:07
Look goodto me. If you start crimping to heavy/much, the case will collapse and wrinkle on you. Trust me on this.