stuck cases [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : stuck cases

cgarrett
04-26-2010, 11:32
I have a question, I am always sticking case when I deprime .223. I lay the cases out on a towel and spray them with hornady one shot and start depriming. It never fails no matter what die I use( Lee or RBC) I am getting cases stuck all of the time it is so annoying. Can someone please help me with my stuck case in the die problem. It is only with .223 brass. I lube them with one shot. What else can I do to keep from getting them stuck. ARe there any dies that will not cause them to stick.

chris Garrett

ron59
04-26-2010, 11:45
Are you using carbide dies? My understanding is they are different (I dunno... slicker?) than the ones that aren't ? More expensive... but maybe worth it.

alwaysshootin
04-26-2010, 11:45
Just throwing this out, have the right shell holder? Been loading for 20 years and never had a stuck case. Guess I'm lucky.

RustyFN
04-26-2010, 12:44
Sounds like you are only lubing half the case. I put a bunch of 223 cases in a gallon Ziplok bag and give it a couple shots of one shot lube. Mix the brass around in the bag for a couple of minutes. Open the bag and give it another shot and mix for a minute. Then pour the cases out and let them dry for a couple of minutes and you are good to go. The one shot has to be shaken very good before you spray it or you will be spraying mostly alcohol and no lube. You also have to let them dry. I case that is still wet will stick. I use one shot all the time and don't stick any cases. Hope this helps.

DoctaGlockta
04-26-2010, 12:58
Sounds like you are only lubing half the case. I put a bunch of 223 cases in a gallon Ziplok bag and give it a couple shots of one shot lube. Mix the brass around in the bag for a couple of minutes. Open the bag and give it another shot and mix for a minute. Then pour the cases out and let them dry for a couple of minutes and you are good to go. The one shot has to be shaken very good before you spray it or you will be spraying mostly alcohol and no lube. You also have to let them dry. I case that is still wet will stick. I use one shot all the time and don't stick any cases. Hope this helps.

I would like to echo what Rusty said. I have only ever had problems with One shot when I didn't have the patience to wait a couple of minutes after lubing before loading them into the press.

Lothar
04-26-2010, 13:02
Make sure you're hitting all sides!

glocknick
04-26-2010, 13:47
do you also use a neck brush to get lube inside the cases or does the lube get in there when you shake it in the bag?

GioaJack
04-26-2010, 13:48
Make sure you're hitting all sides!

Are there sides to a circle? :supergrin:

Jack

unclebob
04-26-2010, 14:20

Jack
Front side, back side.:tongueout:

fredj338
04-26-2010, 15:56
I would like to echo what Rusty said. I have only ever had problems with One shot when I didn't have the patience to wait a couple of minutes after lubing before loading them into the press.

The lube MUST dry or they will stick. I only get about half the case on my 308 & have no trouble, but the lube has top be dry to the touch.:dunno:

RustyFN
04-26-2010, 16:14
do you also use a neck brush to get lube inside the cases or does the lube get in there when you shake it in the bag?

No I don't use a neck brush. I don't know if lube is getting in the necks or not, I never worried about lubing the necks. If it is getting in from rolling around in the bag I wouldn't think it would be much.

RLDS45S
04-26-2010, 19:05
HOS is a POS product. The cause of a lot of stuck cases. Get yourself a tin of Imperial Die Wax. The only use for HOS is to put light coat of lube on cases right before you put them in your case feeder....Makes running a progressive a bit smoother....use some on a nylon brush to get inside the case neck. This will help decrease case stretching from going over the expander ball during resizing.....

dudel
04-27-2010, 01:22

Jack

Inside, outside
:tongueout:

dudel
04-27-2010, 01:23
Are you using carbide dies? My understanding is they are different (I dunno... slicker?) than the ones that aren't ? More expensive... but maybe worth it.

Not too many carbide rifle dies out there. And even then lube is required for them.

dudel
04-27-2010, 01:26
Make sure you're hitting all sides!\

With a good spray lube you don't need to. The alcohol base tends to migrate the lube around the case before it dries. The key is to wait for it to dry. Using too much lube causes it's own problems. I just give it a light spritz of the FA case lube, wait a few minutes, and it's good to go. Always have to resist the urge to give it more lube. Excess lube causes bumps in the case, takes longer to dry, more work to take off when you are done, and can get your dies all messy, which attracts dust when in storage.

KIDCOP
04-27-2010, 01:33
HOS has been the cause of many stuck cases from what I've read. I use a lub pad with RCBS case lube 2 which wipes off with a damp rag. I would like to say I've never stuck a case but I did once. This was after sizing thousands of rifle cases, '06, 308, 30-30, 300 H&H, and 223.

Glocks&Ducs
04-27-2010, 04:17
I think it might also be counter productive to lube your cases on a towel.

Riflemanz
04-27-2010, 05:58
I only use one shot and have never stuck a case.Shake the can well before using.Put cases in a loading block and spray from all sides.Be liberal with the spray.

Bob2223
04-27-2010, 20:36
I only use one shot and have never stuck a case.Shake the can well before using.Put cases in a loading block and spray from all sides.Be liberal with the spray.

Same here, I use HOS for 223 & 308 and never stuck a case.
I roll them in a tray and make sure I spray them all the way around and let them dry a couple minutes .

Bob

DssG19
04-27-2010, 23:52
+1 on imperial sizing wax. You will not have another stuck. I had at least 6 stuck cases using HOS. I retumble the brass after its completly processed.

wrencher
04-28-2010, 08:00
I tried One Shot, because it seemed so clean and convenient. Much harder to drag the case through the die. Always seemed like I was going to stick one, though I never did.
Went back to Hornady Unique, in the little tub. Works great.