Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook remix- USB install [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook remix- USB install

TBO
04-26-2010, 13:04
I'm antsy waiting for the latest stable Ubuntu release so I can install it in a partition on my XP notebook.

I had a previous install of Ubuntu 9.10 on my Netbook, before I screwed up my XP partition trying to tweak a card game install. I had to reformat.

While I'm waiting for the latest Ubuntu release I decided to explore running Ubuntu from a USB drive.

I also wanted to look at the Netbook remix of 9.10 since I had seen the regular 9.10 already.

Well, the USB install worked just fine (had to move up the USB boot option in my BIOS), and I'm posting from it now.

The Netbook remix had a different looking desktop (icons), and I think I like the look of the full 9.10 better (based on only a few minutes so far).

Netbook remix also doesn't have as much "stuff", which I guess is the point of it, a lighter footprint.

I think I'll format my USB drive and do a USB of 9.10.

This USB drive set up is suppose to allow for some file saving on the USB drive.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/create-a-ubuntu-9-10-live-usb-in-windows/

IndyGunFreak
04-26-2010, 13:57
The only thing I don't like about the Netbook remix, is the GUI... I don't know if its the proper name for it, but I call it a "Control Panel" GUI... it sucks. I've never installed to a USB pen drive(never really felt the need) but I've booted them lots of times to install on my hard drive...

Glad it worked for you..

TBO
04-26-2010, 14:31
That's exactly what I don't like about it ("control panel").
It works fine, I just like the look of the full 9.10 better.

Boot up time from pen time is long, but once up runs just fine. Shut down speed is as fast as ever.

I think I'll buy an 8GB USB drive just to run Ubuntu from. (I don't have an extra USB drive of any size, am using my personal 4GB one now).

GIockGuy24
04-26-2010, 16:52
The interface is suppose to look like one of those other other "internet devices". I've never owned another so I'm not sure how they look. I think it's suppose to keep things simple when using a small keyboard and maybe having no table or desk on which to set the netbook. It gives a bunch of tabs, rather than using a menu and a series of windows. You can set the bios to have USB earlier in the boot process than the hard drive. It does slow the hard drive boot a bit but never bothered me. Some people prefer to enter the bios at boot and just boot from USB by command instead of setting it that way. A neat thing about netbooks is that most of them can boot from SD card. I think some newer notebooks will too. I put a live Linux system on a micro SD card and put the card in a full size SD card adapter. The Mandriva netbook system seems like one of the best.

bradleybear
04-26-2010, 18:12
I really like the netbook remix. I'm using it now. It is setup on a dual boot with WinXP.

The only thing I don't like about the Netbook remix, is the GUI... I don't know if its the proper name for it, but I call it a "Control Panel" GUI... it sucks

The desktop is called maximus. I like it. Pretty easy to use and easy on real estate.

Netbook remix also doesn't have as much "stuff", which I guess is the point of it, a lighter footprint

You can add whatever you want. Most available programs can be loaded via the Ubuntu Software Center Icon.

You can add Google Chrome browser which is really fast compared to others.

Have fun

TBO
04-26-2010, 21:04
I'm getting more use to it now.

I think I'll pick up 2 USB Thumbdrives, put full 9.10 on one, Netbook 9.10 on the other, see which one wins out for me.

Then, when the LTR candidate is released, I'll install based upon my experience.