Help With Cleaning My Glock 19 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help With Cleaning My Glock 19

gqpolo
04-26-2010, 14:54
I'm a complete novice when it comes to guns and this may be a stupid question but here goes:
I field stripped the gun and the part on the slide where the casings come out on the inside on the rear sight side there is what was a silver circle with a pin coming out. Do I clean all of the silver pieces so that they are sliver again? Is this possible? Right now they're pretty much black.

aliasneo07
04-26-2010, 16:30
I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Heres how I clean my G19 though:

1. Field Strip
2. Clean the outside of the barrel with some hoppes powder solvent. Then run a few patches through the barrel with hoppes. If necessary, use a nylon or bronze bristle brush and run it through the barrel a few times. Make sure you go all the way to the other end of the barrel. Do NOT reverse directions inide the barrel when using a brush. After that, run clean patches through until they come out clean. And as a final step, I put one patch through with a LIGHT coat of oil. Wipe down the outside of the barrel. Don't forget to clean in the locking lug areas. When I'm done i spray a very light coat of oil on the outside and rub it in with my fingers.

3. Recoil Spring Assembly. I do nothing with this.

4. Slide: What I recommend is take a nylon brush or just a regular toothbrush, soak it in powder solvent, and scrub the inside of the slide. MAKE SURE when you brush around the area where the firing pin comes through (Firing pin channel. You'll see a little hole) that you hold the slide so that the hole is pointed toward the ground. You do not want debris going up into your firing pin channel. So...just scrub the inside of the slide with your brush. Then take a rag or whatever and wipe it clean. If you want, use some q-tips to get in the hard to reach areas. Just make sure you don't leave any q-tip particles behind.

Frame: Eh...if you're new my personal opinion is leave this alone for the most part. Every blue moon you can put a DROP of gun grease (I use shooters choice but any good gun grease will work) on each slide rail. Remember, with oil and grease: less is more.

Reassemble and wipe down the whole gun with a cleaning cloth or something.

Every 5k rounds or so I detail strip it. That means taking the gun completely down and cleaning everything.

Since you're new, a word of advice. Glocks are built to work in the worst of conditions. I clean mine after every use, but many people don't. And you certainly don't have to for them to run. People have tens of thousands of rounds through them without cleaning them at all. However, I'd recommend cleaning them, lol. Just don't stress yourself out too much.

Here's a good video from my favorite youtuber, Nutnfancy, on him cleaning his g17.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx0-hMFako

There are lots of cleaning techniques. If you ask 50 people you'll probably get 50 different methods. There is no one correct way. However there are SOME bad habits, like over lubing, getting crap in your firing pin channel, etc.

Check out that video, and if you need any more help feel free to PM me.

Good luck!

gqpolo
04-27-2010, 06:18
Yeah I guess that wasn't as clear as could be...Here is another shot:
Is it possible to get all of the parts that are silver on the inside of the gun silver again or will they remain black with that residue?

BTW thanks for the advice!

aliasneo07
04-27-2010, 09:56
If you can upload a picture that would help.

But if you mean like the firing pin safety? That little silver button on the underside of your slide? Ummmm...yeah I guess. You might be hard pressed to get it completely silver again. I think if you checked people's glocks on this forum, no, the parts that are "silver" will not stay that way. Don't worry about that.

What I would do is take some powder solvent like Hoppe's #9, rub some on the part you're talking about. Then use a brush and scrub that sucker. Wipe it clean with a cleaning cloth or a cotton patch. If its not perfectly silver after that it probably won't go back to being perfectly silver without serious work, and thats OKAY. Don't worry about that.

Technically the answer to your question is yes, they can all be made silver in appearance again. But often that won't necessarily enhance the performance of your gun. It simply doesn't matter with what you're talking about.

If you're talking about stuff in the FRAME, or the firing pin or something, then it matters. But if you're just looking at your slide off of the frame and everything isn't silver like it was when it was brand new....thats completely normal and I wouldn't worry about it at all. As long as you clean it, it will be fine.

gqpolo
04-28-2010, 07:17
ok...thanks for helping me out

CharlestonG26
04-28-2010, 07:32
"The Complete Glock Reference Guide, Revised 3rd Edition" by Ptooma Publications is an excellent resource for all Glock owners. It costs approximately $25.00.

rljan
04-29-2010, 07:46
CharlestonG26;15201359] "The Complete Glock Reference Guide, Revised 3rd Edition" by Ptooma Publications is an excellent resource for all Glock owners.

+1 This should be required reading for all new Glock owners.

pangloss9
04-30-2010, 19:50
"The Complete Glock Reference Guide, Revised 3rd Edition" by Ptooma Publications is an excellent resource for all Glock owners. It costs approximately $25.00.

I finally bought a copy last fall. It's well worth the money, but it'll make you want to take your pistol apart just for fun.

RLHas
05-03-2010, 10:28
I'm a complete novice when it comes to guns and this may be a stupid question but here goes:
I field stripped the gun and the part on the slide where the casings come out on the inside on the rear sight side there is what was a silver circle with a pin coming out. Do I clean all of the silver pieces so that they are sliver again? Is this possible? Right now they're pretty much black.

gqpolo-
If you have any basic mechanical ability and an understanding of form and function of Firearms in general
I highly recommend going over to the MidwayUSA site...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=186832

and picking up this video. If you can get past the way the guy talks and presents himself it's a total wealth of knowledge about these guns and how they work.
It shows you basics on cleaning, field stripping, detail stripping and some of the mods you can do yourself. Parts are readily available everywhere all over the net and it's just a kick to be able to do your own stuff.
Keep in mind that these are a precision engineered Firearm and they can be messed up and rendered UNSAFE if you don't know what you are doing.
This Vid really helps. The guy on here is one of the best Glock Smiths in the industry.

cangler
05-05-2010, 17:45
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc&playnext_from=TL&videos=CpD6vE0avVw

PTRJason
05-07-2010, 12:53
I finally bought a copy last fall. It's well worth the money, but it'll make you want to take your pistol apart just for fun.

I do that, and do not even have the book. :cool:

To answer the other question. Yes you can make the parts silver just buy some metal polish, like silver, copper, or gold polish (I use Metal Glo because I had it laying around for the the name plates on uniforms.)

Just run it on the parts for a few minutes and it will be good as new.