Trail Boss with plated bullets [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trail Boss with plated bullets

ustate
04-26-2010, 21:59
I've had excellent results with Trail Boss in .44Spl and .45Colt loads with cast bullets. Well, I'm out of my cast bullets for the moment but have plenty of plated bullets in those calibers. Has anyone used Trail Boss with plated bullets? Just wondering if its safe to do since TB is designed for use with cast bullets.

HAMMERHEAD
04-27-2010, 15:57
I've been using Trail Boss under a Rainier plated 200 grain .452" SWC in .45 Colt in my new Handi rifle.
I started with the lowest recommended charge for a 200 grain lead bullet. I've bumped it up since, but not to max levels yet. I'm still getting smoke on the outside of the brass, so pressures must still be low. Velocity around 850 fps.
It's just a plinker load for me, so I don't plan on pushing it. Accuracy is excellent and the bore stays very clean.

dudel
04-27-2010, 16:19
I've had excellent results with Trail Boss in .44Spl and .45Colt loads with cast bullets. Well, I'm out of my cast bullets for the moment but have plenty of plated bullets in those calibers. Has anyone used Trail Boss with plated bullets? Just wondering if its safe to do since TB is designed for use with cast bullets.

IIRC, it's a very "fluffy" powder. Tends to bridge in many powder measures, resulting in very light (almost squib) loads. Lots of care needs to be taken when you meter this powder.

HAMMERHEAD
04-27-2010, 16:52
IIRC, it's a very "fluffy" powder. Tends to bridge in many powder measures, resulting in very light (almost squib) loads. Lots of care needs to be taken when you meter this powder.
Very true. So far so good with my Redding 10X measure, but I look at every charge before I cap them with a bullet.
One reason I like it is I can see the charges clearly while the case is in my turret press.
I've been using Trail Boss in .38 Special also and have seen some below average velocity deviations, but accuracy remains very good out to 50 yards in both calibers.

dbarry
04-27-2010, 16:53
Trail Boss was originally designed for lead bullets only. They have since published lots of data for use with jacketed bullets. Plated bullets work great.