Switched powders [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Switched powders

orgnova
04-27-2010, 07:23
I wanted to try a different powder. Went out and bought some Unique to try with reloading 230 gr 45acp FMJ. Using 6.0 gr of Unique and setting OAL to 1.125. Now the bullet will not fit in the my gauge or the barrel. Well, it will fit but its real, real snug in my 1911, but will not fit in my G30. Been using HP-38 which nobody around here has in stock. I like the way the Unique feeds through the feeder though. Anybody else had this problem?

Zombie Steve
04-27-2010, 07:48
As far as fit, I'd check your taper crimp.

Seems like a short OAL for 6 grains of Unique. I use 6 or 6.2 grains with an OAL of 1.260" and I'm getting right at 850 fps.

orgnova
04-27-2010, 08:05
My mistake, the OAL is 1.250. If I load one without the powder, it fits the gauge and the barrels fine.

GioaJack
04-27-2010, 08:16
As far as fit, I'd check your taper crimp.

Seems like a short OAL for 6 grains of Unique. I use 6 or 6.2 grains with an OAL of 1.260" and I'm getting right at 850 fps.

Hey, Zombie... did ya fall off a horse in Montana or have coffee with Jane Fonda?

Good to have you back.

Jack

XDRoX
04-27-2010, 08:26
I wanted to try a different powder. Went out and bought some Unique to try with reloading 230 gr 45acp FMJ. Using 6.0 gr of Unique and setting OAL to 1.125. Now the bullet will not fit in the my gauge or the barrel. Well, it will fit but its real, real snug in my 1911, but will not fit in my G30. Been using HP-38 which nobody around here has in stock. I like the way the Unique feeds through the feeder though. Anybody else had this problem?

I use 230gr FMJ bullets also and also load with Unique, but I load to 1.260 and have no problems. I also use 6.0gr of powder.
I'm confused as why you think the powder is causing the problem. The way I'm reading your post, do you think the change in powder is causing the problem??? How would the barrel know what kind of powder was in the finished round? Sounds like a sizing problem or crimping problem to me.

XDRoX
04-27-2010, 08:29
My mistake, the OAL is 1.250. If I load one without the powder, it fits the gauge and the barrels fine.

This is very strange:dunno: Could the powder be expanding the case when the bullet is set? Some of the experts will be along shortly to shed some light I'm sure because I have no idea.

gwalchmai
04-27-2010, 10:31
I use that same load a lot (loaded some last night, in fact), and I've never had that problem. Measure your loaded case diameters and see if you can quantify the difference.

The only variable is the powder, correct?

GLShooter
04-27-2010, 11:20

So when you do one without the powder are you belling the case? Or are you just seating a bullet in it?

Just for giggles powder up ten of those cases with the OLD powder charge and seat the bullets then check for barrel fit. I have sneaking suspicion that your dies have moved and the crimp is causing an issue.

Greg

orgnova
04-27-2010, 12:21
GLShooter, you were probably right. I took the press apart and cleaned it. Reset all the dies and ran a few through. They now fit the gauge and the barrels of my 1911s and g30 without any problems. I say the die moved.

Thanks for everybody's help.
Don't you just love GT?

DoctaGlockta
04-27-2010, 12:23
This is very strange:dunno: Could the powder be expanding the case when the bullet is set? Some of the experts will be along shortly to shed some light I'm sure because I have no idea.
At 6.0 grains you are not at a compressed load so I wouldn't think your power expansion theory has much validity.

Check your crimp. Drop one in a barrel to really see what is going on.

fredj338
04-27-2010, 13:58
No, it's not compressed enough to cause that. Something is worng w/ the crimp setup if it isn't fitting the gage. If it isn't fitting the bbl, maybe the OAL is a bit long. Recheck the dies & make a dummy round. There is no diff between a dummy round fitting & a live round.

Zombie Steve
04-27-2010, 14:47
Hey, Zombie... did ya fall off a horse in Montana or have coffee with Jane Fonda?

Good to have you back.

Jack

Yep. Back from the land of the lawless. Jane is lucky she didn't run into us there. We might have re-created her infamous photo of her sitting on artillery. :whistling::supergrin:

The horses treated me well. The turkey did not. :crying:

Patrick Graham
04-27-2010, 15:57

If the powder is truly the cause you have a serious overload. Pull them and check your scale.

kshutt
04-27-2010, 20:55
Yep. Back from the land of the lawless. Jane is lucky she didn't run into us there. We might have re-created her infamous photo of her sitting on artillery. :whistling::supergrin:

The horses treated me well. The turkey did not. :crying:

Hey Zombie, don't feel bad. First time in a decade I haven't harvested at least one tom. Oklahoma Wildlife Dept. is considering lowering the bag limit and shortening the season next year due to the decline of the turkey population in southeast Oklahoma where I hunt. :crying:

GioaJack
04-27-2010, 21:07
Hey Zombie, don't feel bad. First time in a decade I haven't harvested at least one tom. Oklahoma Wildlife Dept. is considering lowering the bag limit and shortening the season next year due to the decline of the turkey population in southeast Oklahoma where I hunt. :crying:

They are available at Safeway, King Soopers, Albertsons, Piggly Wiggly and other fine establishments specializing in fine culinary delights.

Cash, check or credit cards gladly accepted... no shotguns... please.

Jack

kshutt
04-28-2010, 05:03
They are available at Safeway, King Soopers, Albertsons, Piggly Wiggly and other fine establishments specializing in fine culinary delights.

Jack

Zombie, I've thought better of it. We need to schedule one more hunt and take Jack with us to set with...er...set up, that is, our decoys! :supergrin:

Zombie Steve
04-28-2010, 08:43

Jack

I was gonna say, the last time I shot one in the grocery store everyone started flipping out. :whistling:

There were hens and jakes everywhere... I only saw 2 toms and couldn't get them in range. Why hunt down a loud chick if you have a harem right there?

Sorry about the thread hijack. :embarassed:

GLShooter
04-28-2010, 09:14
GLShooter, you were probably right. I took the press apart and cleaned it. Reset all the dies and ran a few through. They now fit the gauge and the barrels of my 1911s and g30 without any problems. I say the die moved.

Thanks for everybody's help.
Don't you just love GT?

I had that issue years ago after a cleaning session on my dies. The first jam in a match sure gets your attention!! LOL

I'm glad you worked it out.

Good Shooting,

Greg

das9mm26
04-28-2010, 11:53
FWIW.....I've been using my 550B for only 2 weeks...and already I've had to "tweak" and re-tighten 2 of the 4 dies that worked loose!!!
I found out why Dillon sells that "special" wrench......!!!!:whistling:
Even L-O-N-G nosed pliers have trouble in that tight tool head space!!!:supergrin:

GLShooter
04-28-2010, 12:25
FWIW.....I've been using my 550B for only 2 weeks...and already I've had to "tweak" and re-tighten 2 of the 4 dies that worked loose!!!
I found out why Dillon sells that "special" wrench......!!!!:whistling:
Even L-O-N-G nosed pliers have trouble in that tight tool head space!!!:supergrin:

OK I'll spil the beans on the "secret" about those dies and how to fix them, assuming they are Dillon dies that is.
First thing order in about a dozen Hornady Die Rings from Midway (they are on sale frequently) when they arrive, pull your dies, remove the Dillon rings, Set rings back in Dillon box for emergencies, install Hornady Rings, set adjustments, tighten ring,.

Last thing -- LOAD ON MY FRIEND:rock:ND!!!!

I started doing that on all my dies from Dillon, RCBS et al. years ago and things are much quieter now when I measure my ammo in production!!

Greg

gwalchmai
04-28-2010, 12:44
The Dillon rings stay nice and tight on my 550.

GLShooter
04-28-2010, 12:50
The Dillon rings stay nice and tight on my 550.

So did mine. Right up until the time they moved.:crying: A seater die is not that big a deal but when the sizer die backs up there can be some real issues on a big run of ammo.

Greg

gwalchmai
04-28-2010, 13:34
So did mine. Right up until the time they moved.:crying: Mine are flawless after many thousands of rounds. You didn't put lube on them or anything, did you?

:supergrin:

GLShooter
04-28-2010, 16:13
Mine are flawless after many thousands of rounds. You didn't put lube on them or anything, did you?

:supergrin:

:rofl:

No, no lube on those rings. I always have always preferred dies sets that I could take out of the press and have preset for the adjustments. Dillon dies and a single stage press require adjusting every time they are moved and the split ring of the Hornady is so much easier. The RCBS version requires that the die be taken all the way out and whacked on a piece of wood so it will loosen the little shot pressure deal inside the ring. Lee's with their rubber O ring deal aren't any better for me.

I tighten the rings down and just like that locker screw onthe Hornady part. Belt and suspenders as it were.:cool:

Greg

proraptor
04-28-2010, 16:22
Hornady lock rings are a must....They are cheap and give me piece of mind

FlyfishermanMike
05-01-2010, 02:36
There's obviously something special about 6.0 gr of Unique at 1.260". I just loaded some too and my G30 loves them!

I second the Hornady type lock rings. My Lee dies now have them. Before I had them I flipped the Lee O-ring's around so the nut would lay flush against the press. I was getting too much variance with the O-ring on the bottom and found it wasn't very repeatable. Flipping them solved that and getting rid of them solved it more. Hornady, Lyman, Redding, and Sinclair all make the type that clamp the whole die and screw in from the side. Save your die's threads from getting beat up!

orgnova
05-01-2010, 12:01
Ended up ordering Hornady locking rings. I think my one die moved on me. I'm hoping the locking rings solves that problem from happening again.