I jumped into the 9mm! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I jumped into the 9mm!

Beware Owner
04-27-2010, 10:50
I already have casings I've picked from the range, SP primers, 122gr LTC bullets, Unique, and Silhouette at hand. Yes, I know, I have to look at my manuals. Still, I haven't loaded for this caliber, so let me ask the experts. What should I look out for? Any quirks unique to the 9mm? I'll be shooting out of a Taurus PT709.

GLShooter
04-27-2010, 11:14
I already have casings I've picked from the range, SP primers, 122gr LTC bullets, Unique, and Silhouette at hand. Yes, I know, I have to look at my manuals. Still, I haven't loaded for this caliber, so let me ask the experts. What should I look out for? Any quirks unique to the 9mm? I'll be shooting out of a Taurus PT709.

No real quirks for it. The COL can be a major factor in the function of the pistol. One thing also is most 9 MM's don't like to be down loaded. I always run mine at factory equivalent.

Greg

Beware Owner
04-27-2010, 11:52
No real quirks for it. The COL can be a major factor in the function of the pistol. One thing also is most 9 MM's don't like to be down loaded. I always run mine at factory equivalent.

Greg

Have you used Unique?

mnhogrider
04-27-2010, 12:00
Unique is a good powder for 9MM.

Those cases you're picking up at the range, do you know how many times they've been reloaded? It'd be good to know with high pressure 9mm.

After 7-10 reloads, I leave them on the ground.

See what I mean?

Beware Owner
04-27-2010, 12:10
Unique is a good powder for 9MM.

Those cases you're picking up at the range, do you know how many times they've been reloaded? It'd be good to know with high pressure 9mm.

After 7-10 reloads, I leave them on the ground.

See what I mean?

Yessir, I do. I always make my checks for wear and all anomalities. I learned to reload with the .357 Sig, and most of my brass is reloaded. Again, I don't load to max, but I still check my brass out thoroughly.

fredj338
04-27-2010, 13:56
The biggest issue w/ 9mm & lead bullets is getting good accuracy w/o leading. I like Unique in the 9mm, especially w/ lead bullets & especially if yo ulike to run the top edge, like 1200fps.

jason.223
04-27-2010, 15:53
I have been shooting 122 LTC and 4.0 grain of unique for years.
have used it with all kinds of brass win/fed/g.f.l./nato/pmc
always used win primers thought.

this load runs all my 9mm's from glocks taurus and astra.

chrono'ed 950 fps from 3.5 barrels to 1000 fps in 5 inch guns. not a hot load but it works for me

Hope this helps

Jason

DEADLYACCURATE
04-27-2010, 16:02
I learned to reload with the .357 Sig

you should be fine with 9mm then

Beware Owner
04-28-2010, 10:32
I'll be loading for use with my brand spanking new Taurus PT709 Slim.

FM12
04-28-2010, 16:03
I've loaded a millon or so using 115 gr Zero slugs and 5.0 Bullseye,which is a little above the max suggested on various sites, but always worked for me, no signs of overpressure, start @ about 4.5 and work up cautiously!!

Only thing I dislke about loading the 9 is that they're so SMALL compared to the .45! Hard for my big hands to work well on my Dillon SDB sometimes.

BlayGlock
04-28-2010, 16:09
I reload 9mm using my Dillon SDB. Ive used Unique in the past for 9mm and it worked fine, I really like it for .38 special and .45. Im experimenting with other powders atm. It seemed to shoot softer than the Universal Clay's I am trying right now.

proraptor
04-28-2010, 16:25
The only problem I have with 9mm is they are so small and a lot harder to handle with my big mits. .45 is easier for me

Beware Owner
04-29-2010, 07:47
Have you shot your loads through a short barrel?

chris in va
04-29-2010, 21:06
I've had quite the issue with lead boolits tumbling. Long story short, I found out a .358 boolit to grab the shallow rifling best and get great accuracy without keyholing.

nitesite10mm
04-29-2010, 22:17
Unique and Silhouette are two very good 9mm powders!

With heavies, also consider Accurate #7 which is fantastic.

goldenlight
04-30-2010, 01:48
I've been reloading the 9mm since 1975; hundreds of thousands of them. I used to cast my own bullets, but I quit many years ago, as it's very time consuming.

In all my 9mm reloads I use Unique. I've been using it for so long, I'm just used to it.

I use all the range brass I can scrounge. I reload it until it gets lost. I've never had a significant case failure. I inspect my brass, each time I reload it.

Rarely, I will find a split case.

I found the 9mm easy to load. You can't double charge a case; and it's easy to see if a case is missing it's powder charge.

I load my range ammo just warm enough to cycle my 9mm's. I've been using the same load in all the 9mm's that have pased through my hands.

One thing I found when buying cast bullets is that round nose didn't give me as good accuracy as truncated cone bullets. They have more of a bearing surface, than round nose bullets

Jacketed bullets will give better accuracy than cast bullets, but at a higher cost.

Plated bullets gave me the same accuracy as cast bullets, but at a higher cost. I didn't think that plated bullets had any advantage over plain cast lead bullets.

At the velocity I load, leading is minimal, even after several hundred rounds.

Good luck with your reloading. I love shooting 9mm: it's the cheapest center fire round to reload, and there are so many interesting semiautos chambered for the 9mm.

Beware Owner
04-30-2010, 11:37
I've had quite the issue with lead boolits tumbling. Long story short, I found out a .358 boolit to grab the shallow rifling best and get great accuracy without keyholing.

In every gun you've shot them in or just one?

Unique and Silhouette are two very good 9mm powders!

With heavies, also consider Accurate #7 which is fantastic.

That's what I've been using with the .357 Sig and they've worked fine. I always like a new caliber to load!

I've been reloading the 9mm since 1975; hundreds of thousands of them. I used to cast my own bullets, but I quit many years ago, as it's very time consuming.

In all my 9mm reloads I use Unique. I've been using it for so long, I'm just used to it.

I use all the range brass I can scrounge. I reload it until it gets lost. I've never had a significant case failure. I inspect my brass, each time I reload it.

Rarely, I will find a split case.

I found the 9mm easy to load. You can't double charge a case; and it's easy to see if a case is missing it's powder charge.

I load my range ammo just warm enough to cycle my 9mm's. I've been using the same load in all the 9mm's that have pased through my hands.

One thing I found when buying cast bullets is that round nose didn't give me as good accuracy as truncated cone bullets. They have more of a bearing surface, than round nose bullets

Jacketed bullets will give better accuracy than cast bullets, but at a higher cost.

Plated bullets gave me the same accuracy as cast bullets, but at a higher cost. I didn't think that plated bullets had any advantage over plain cast lead bullets.

At the velocity I load, leading is minimal, even after several hundred rounds.

Good luck with your reloading. I love shooting 9mm: it's the cheapest center fire round to reload, and there are so many interesting semiautos chambered for the 9mm.

That's a lot of loading. The good thing is that I've been collecting 9mm brass from the range, I have everything except the dies, which I'll just get some Lee dies for that. I also shoot only lead boolits, can't find a reason to shoot anything else.

FLSlim
04-30-2010, 11:47
May as well chime in. I've never had any load issues with the 9. I've used Unique, AA#5, and Bullseye, always with jacketed or plated bullets. No problems with any of the powders. My only problem has been several recent FTF events that I think were related to primer quality. Anyhow, check the load books and you'll be good to go.

Beware Owner
04-30-2010, 12:05
May as well chime in. I've never had any load issues with the 9. I've used Unique, AA#5, and Bullseye, always with jacketed or plated bullets. No problems with any of the powders. My only problem has been several recent FTF events that I think were related to primer quality. Anyhow, check the load books and you'll be good to go.

I have the Speer reloading manual and I'm going to get the loadbook for the 9mm too.