Thoughts on 10mm 1911s... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 10mm 1911s...

DrtyHarry
04-27-2010, 19:17
I'm very interested in getting one. I've read that 1911s in 10mm can often be a little problematic, so I'm wondering if there is a specific make that has a proven 10mm track record. I have fired two Deltas and both had far too many FTFs for me to justify investing in one. So I scratched Colt of the list.

Dan Wesson no longer makes 10mm in the 2010 line up, and I heard they were good. I'm also considering Kimber, even though I'm not a huge fan of them. I have one, but they don't shoot like any of my customs do (Wilson, Brown). I'm looking for something in the $1500 range, and this will be a woods and target pistol. I'm not looking to make this my EDC.

Fusion Arms looks like they make fine 1911s. I just don't know how good they are in 10mm...and they make long-slide versions as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DH

Fire_Medic
04-27-2010, 19:27
I was all set on a Fusion myself, but I came across a NIB unfired 2009 DW CBOB in 10mm and sent the funds for it yesterday. :supergrin:

Fusion has a huge 10mm lineup and yes they have quite a few long slides, still eyeballing one of those as well.

G33
04-28-2010, 02:28
DW if you can get one soon.
Kimber also.
Wilson for $250 over .45 price.
:supergrin:

why
04-28-2010, 09:30
Tanfoglio Witness in steel, fullsized. Gotta watch your OAL on the cartridges if you handload, but mine's 100% reliable.

Waffentomas
04-28-2010, 17:39
I'm curious, in the Deltas you fired, were they the original Deltas, circa 1981/2, or the new ones? or both? I have a DExxxxx I bought in 1987 and it's been very reliable.

If you can find a DW they are built well. The RZs have a more robust frame than the cast framed Pointman, but I load hot and tend to get smiles from my RZ. I do like the fully supported chamber on the Kimbers, but I sold my Eclipse because it was not reliable. I carry a Wilson CQB now, and love it. I suppose you could keep an eye out for a used one...probably be fairly close to $1500.

tlen
04-28-2010, 19:15
Cabela's currently has the Dan Wesson RZ10 on sale for $1200. They must have stockpiled them before they went out of production...
http://cabelasflyers.dirxion.com/89v/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.3.1.0001&BookCode=89v10flx

DrtyHarry
04-28-2010, 19:30
I'm curious, in the Deltas you fired, were they the original Deltas, circa 1981/2, or the new ones?

The two that I fired were fairly new, I'm not sure of the dates. I've read the older ones held up better.

Cabela's currently has the Dan Wesson RZ10 on sale for $1200. They must have stockpiled them before they went out of production...
http://cabelasflyers.dirxion.com/89v/WebProject.asp?CodeId=7.3.1.0001&BookCode=89v10flx

Now that is something to consider!! I may very well do that...want to find a few more pics though first. Thanks for letting me know!

DH

Biggest Dawg
04-28-2010, 23:37
Cabela's Reno has a new DW Sportsman. Improved over the Razorback in stock. Can't remember the price but can check. You could also call them and order it by phone for shipping to your FFL.
I own one and am really happy with it, as I am my Glock 20 and 29.
BD

Retired Squid
04-30-2010, 17:28
I'm curious, in the Deltas you fired, were they the original Deltas, circa 1981/2, or the new ones? or both? I have a DExxxxx I bought in 1982 and it's been very reliable.

Your dates for the 10 MM is a little off, first Colt DE was in '87, the new DE started in '09 just so you know.

Here's my '89 model that's a sweet shooter and would love to carry, but Glocks 20 at $525 is half the value and easy to replace, not an early Colt DE in like new shape.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x245/oldnavy6393/DE01.jpg

Fire_Medic
04-30-2010, 17:34
Your dates for the 10 MM is a little off, first Colt DE was in '87, the new DE started in '09 just so you know.

Here's my '89 model that's a sweet shooter and would love to carry, but Glocks 20 at $525 is half the value and easy to replace, not an early Colt DE in like new shape.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x245/oldnavy6393/DE01.jpg

That Colt DE looks great brother. :supergrin:

Retired Squid
04-30-2010, 17:48
That Colt DE looks great brother. :supergrin:Thanks it is a fun shooter, but not as accurate for me as my 20 or 29 for some reason. That said any one of the three is deadly in my hand well beyond 25 yards.

Should have of seen looks of some local city cops as I fired off a fast 15 from the G20 at the 25 yard range and all where the were needed. What was better then that was I found all 15 cases.

Fire_Medic
04-30-2010, 17:56
Thanks it is a fun shooter, but not as accurate for me as my 20 or 29 for some reason. That said any one of the three is deadly in my hand well beyond 25 yards.

Should have of seen looks of some local city cops as I fired off a fast 15 from the G20 at the 25 yard range and all where the were needed. What was better then that was I found all 15 cases.

I have me new to me G29 SF, with a 10MM CBOB en route, now I'm debating on whether to build a Custom G20 using a LW slide or a full size 1911 in 10MM.

This 10MM stuff gets addicting. :supergrin:

J. Parker
04-30-2010, 18:37
[QUOTE=DrtyHarry;15198900]I'm very interested in getting one. I've read that 1911s in 10mm can often be a little problematic, so I'm wondering if there is a specific make that has a proven 10mm track record. I have fired two Deltas and both had far too many FTFs for me to justify investing in one. So I scratched Colt of the list.

Dan Wesson no longer makes 10mm in the 2010 line up, and I heard they were good. I'm also considering Kimber, even though I'm not a huge fan of them. I have one, but they don't shoot like any of my customs do (Wilson, Brown). I'm looking for something in the $1500 range, and this will be a woods and target pistol. I'm not looking to make this my EDC.

Fusion Arms looks like they make fine 1911s. I just don't know how good they are in 10mm...and they make long-slide versions as well.

1911 10mm? Why? I wouldn't go out in the woods with a 10mm 1911. IMO, the 1911 10mm pistol makes for a nice "range gun". You know what that means? I don't trust it to save my life. If you want a the best 10mm pistol on the market get the G20 period.

Retired Squid
04-30-2010, 19:06
[QUOTE=DrtyHarry;15198900]I'm very interested in getting one. I've read that 1911s in 10mm can often be a little problematic, so I'm wondering if there is a specific make that has a proven 10mm track record. I have fired two Deltas and both had far too many FTFs for me to justify investing in one. So I scratched Colt of the list.

1911 10mm? Why? I wouldn't go out in the woods with a 10mm 1911. IMO, the 1911 10mm pistol makes for a nice "range gun". You know what that means? I don't trust it to save my life. If you want a the best 10mm pistol on the market get the G20 period.

Actually all 1911's can be problematic due having been designed for ball ammo, with 2 piece feed ramps, and internal extractors that was later corrected by Mr. Browning on his famous Hi-Power. I think some custom 1911 barrel and gun makers have gone to one piece feed ramps, some external extractors. S&W's 1911's have external extractor for ejection reliablity, someone told me that DW 1911's were external extractor and one piece barrel and feed ramp but never checked to see.

In all the rounds through S&W 4506/1006 models with external extractor and one piece barrel feed ramp that was basically a double action 1911, these were probably the most reliable semi-auto DA hand gun ever made.

Ok I climb down now off soap box.

J. Parker
04-30-2010, 19:30
[QUOTE=J. Parker;15216593]

Actually all 1911's can be problematic due having been designed for ball ammo, with 2 piece feed ramps, and internal extractors that was later corrected by Mr. Browning on his famous Hi-Power. I think some custom 1911 barrel and gun makers have gone to one piece feed ramps, some external extractors. S&W's 1911's have external extractor for ejection reliablity, someone told me that DW 1911's were external extractor and one piece barrel and feed ramp but never checked to see.

In all the rounds through S&W 4506/1006 models with external extractor and one piece barrel feed ramp that was basically a double action 1911, these were probably the most reliable semi-auto DA hand gun ever made.

Ok I climb down now off soap box.

I wholeheartedly agree.......the only 10mm pistols I will own is either the fine S&W 10mm pistols or the Glock 20. If you want a 1911 stick to the 45acp calibre.

DrtyHarry
04-30-2010, 19:43

Um...yes, I'm very well aware of what a "range gun" is :rollingeyes:. And I all ready have a G20sf with a KKM barrel, adj. mepros, trigger job, 3.5# connector, and talon grips.

I have several 1911s chambered in .45ACP, I'd like to find a 1911 in 10mm because I get a better, longer, and a more accurate range with my 1911s compared to my Glocks. Also, I may decide to hunt with it and I will need a 6" barrel. Sure, I could toss one in my G20 and add a long slide as well...and I'm thinking about doing that.

Right now though, I'm going to have Fusion build me a 10mm long-slide as I've heard great things about them with the 10mm cartridge. Something like this...

Aint she a beauty??

Fire_Medic
04-30-2010, 19:50
Um...yes, I'm very well aware of what a "range gun" is :rollingeyes:. And I all ready have a G20sf with a KKM barrel, adj. mepros, trigger job, 3.5# connector, and talon grips.

I have several 1911s chambered in .45ACP, I'd like to find a 1911 in 10mm because I get a better, longer, and a more accurate range with my 1911s compared to my Glocks. Also, I may decide to hunt with it and I will need a 6" barrel. Sure, I could toss one in my G20 and add a long slide as well...and I'm thinking about doing that.

Right now though, I'm going to have Fusion build me a 10mm long-slide as I've heard great things about them with the 10mm cartridge. Something like this...

Aint she a beauty??

That is nice, WOW. I've been eyeballing the fusions for some time in 10mm.
:wavey:

Retired Squid
04-30-2010, 19:54
[QUOTE=Retired Squid;15216731]

I wholeheartedly agree.......the only 10mm pistols I will own is either the fine S&W 10mm pistols or the Glock 20. If you want a 1911 stick to the 45acp calibre.Well I agree sort of, I feel fine carrying my 1911 10mm, but not like my Glock but my Glocks do have 1911 type safeties. Besides the 1911 DE it's too valuable as collector gun to carry and maybe have to turn into a crime lab.

The 1911 45ACP can be very finicky and unreliable with anything but ball unless very well tuned and even then if brand or type of bullet change it can be very lacking in reliability.

J. Parker
04-30-2010, 20:35
[QUOTE=DrtyHarry;15216986]Um...yes, I'm very well aware of what a "range gun" is :rollingeyes:. And I all ready have a G20sf with a KKM barrel, adj. mepros, trigger job, 3.5# connector, and talon grips.

Very nice........actually one of the nicest looking 1911's I've ever seen. Still, nice for lookin' but not for workin'.

J. Parker
04-30-2010, 20:38
[QUOTE=J. Parker;15216887]Well I agree sort of, I feel fine carrying my 1911 10mm, but not like my Glock but my Glocks do have 1911 type safeties. Besides the 1911 DE it's too valuable as collector gun to carry and maybe have to turn into a crime lab.

The 1911 45ACP can be very finicky and unreliable with anything but ball unless very well tuned and even then if brand or type of bullet change it can be very lacking in reliability.

Cool, no problem......but if I'm in the deep woods there are only two 10mm pistols I trust....a S&W 10 mill or a Glock 10 mill.

Retired Squid
04-30-2010, 20:54
[QUOTE=Retired Squid;15217056]

Cool, no problem......but if I'm in the deep woods there are only two 10mm pistols I trust....a S&W 10 mill or a Glock 10 mill.As my signature says if I'm in the deep woods with Mountain Lion, bears, or T-Rex I want my 44 Magnum at a minimum for sure only because I don't have a 45-70 to carry. :tongueout:

I guess when weight is critical G20 or 29 is ok I guess as long as it's not brown bear or bigger area. Otherwise it's my Marlin 94P 44 mag and my Dan Wesson 44 Magnum for sure, nothing like 300gr hard cast lead to end any arguments.

J. Parker
04-30-2010, 20:58
[QUOTE=J. Parker;15217385]As my signature says if I'm in the deep woods with Mountain Lion, bears, or T-Rex I want my 44 Magnum at a minium for sure only because I don't have a 45-70 to carry. :tongueout:

I guess when weight is critical G20 or 29 is ok I guess as long as it's not brown bear or bigger. Otherwise it's my Marlin 94P 44 mag and my Dan Wesson 44 Magnum for sure.

I would be fully confident with a Glock 10mm pistol in the lower 48 with the exception of maybe Montana.

Retired Squid
05-01-2010, 06:27
Not sure I would want to face a 400# Black bear or bore hog with my G in Georgia or Missouri. But you're right it does depend on where you are at for sure.

Kegs
05-01-2010, 15:28
but my Glocks do have 1911 type safeties.

What do you mean your "Glocks do have 1911 type safeties"? How is that?

Kegs
05-01-2010, 15:37
I make my living as a forester (state registered/graduate) guys - and have worked in some of the highest density bear habitat in the U.S., including Western Montana - and yes there are grizzlies there. My concern isn't the bears however. My concern is the hornets - and no firearm you're gonna use is effective against them.

The other concern would be humans, but most of the time they are more happy to see someone else vs. angry.

The black bears don't want anything to do with you and they'll smell you before you can usually see them. Grizzlies just keep digging the truck-sized holes looking for marmots or other small rodents to eat.

One of my colleagues has been attacked by feral dog packs. After that he bought and started carrying a 9mm.

I do take the opinion of retired squid - you can't have a handgun big enough, but you have to be practical on what you're carrying if you carry the thing through thick and thin, which is yet one more reason the G29 shines.

Fire_Medic
05-01-2010, 15:51
I make my living as a forester (state registered/graduate) guys - and have worked in some of the highest density bear habitat in the U.S., including Western Montana - and yes there are grizzlies there. My concern isn't the bears however. My concern is the hornets - and no firearm you're gonna use is effective against them.

The other concern would be humans, but most of the time they are more happy to see someone else vs. angry.

The black bears don't want anything to do with you and they'll smell you before you can usually see them. Grizzlies just keep digging the truck-sized holes looking for marmots or other small rodents to eat.

One of my colleagues has been attacked by feral dog packs. After that he bought and started carrying a 9mm.

I do take the opinion of retired squid - you can't have a handgun big enough, but you have to be practical on what you're carrying if you carry the thing through thick and thin, which is yet one more reason the G29 shines.

My Galco holster came in for mine, hopefully my work on the new trigger bar eliminated the FTRB issues and then I can work it into CCW duty. I had thought of getting a G23 to pair with my G35 but it's looking like the G29 might take the place of the G23. Hides very easily under a polo too.
:wavey:

Retired Squid
05-01-2010, 16:12

Ok you have the knowledge & skill that few here have and should be able to stay out of harms way that few here have. You mentioned the three things I watch for when in the woods here in the Ozarks, wasp/hornet/bee with serious eye for those bee's also due to possible Africanized bee's, have shot more feral dogs then I can count and will say it will give you pause for worry if you understand how dangerous they are, but the odd 2 legged critters are the ones to really worry about.

I never leave home w/o my G29, be it in the jungle of Wal-Mart or my friends pawn shop bargin hunting.

Retired Squid
05-01-2010, 16:30
What do you mean your "Glocks do have 1911 type safeties"? How is that?There is a guy who designed a manual safety that is a snap to install and has been adopted by some LE departments.

Cominolli Custom (http://www.cominolli.com/) at http://www.cominolli.com/

If you have a Dremel tool it's a snap, because I was going to do two at very least I bought his cutting jig that enables a precise cut by your Dremel tool for a factory look. It takes about 20 minutes with the 20, 21, and 29 due to having to do some trimming on the new trigger block. Nothing like a manual safety to turn that G29 into a pocket carry gun.

Kegs
05-01-2010, 20:47
There is a guy who designed a manual safety that is a snap to install and has been adopted by some LE departments.

Cominolli Custom at http://www.cominolli.com/

If you have a Dremel tool it's a snap, because I was going to do two at very least I bought his cutting jig that enables a precise cut by your Dremel tool for a factory look. It takes about 20 minutes with the 20, 21, and 29 due to having to do some trimming on the new trigger block. Nothing like a manual safety to turn that G29 into a pocket carry gun.

Awesome. Thank you. I think that is a great idea. There is an unlikely possibility of some stick or something getting into my trigger while in the woods - but still it is possible. A safety such as this would prevent that improbable event from occurring, which could save my right ass cheek, or worse yet leg while walking and having it in the wrong position. I think I might install one of these - I have a dremel and tons of implements already.

Retired Squid
05-01-2010, 21:15
Joe is good people and wil treat you right. The cut for the slot might be a bit of a PIA w/o the jig but if you take your time you will be fine. The only other thing is triming the trigger block, the 21, 20 and 29 are slightly different from all other Glocks and will require you to either use a coarse file or your Dremel to taper the bottom of the block so it will frit down in frame all the way.

Seems this mod has been received with great reviews from LE and civilans alike. If some ball player in NY that dropped his while carrying in his sweat pants and then grabbed it trying to stop the drop and fired off a round wounding himself and ending up in the end in jail, had this safety he would not have shot himself and gone to jail.

DrtyHarry
05-01-2010, 21:24
Seems this mod has been received with great reviews from LE and civilans alike. If some ball player in NY that dropped his while carrying in his sweat pants and then grabbed it trying to stop the drop and fired off a round wounding himself and ending up in the end in jail, had this safety he would not have shot himself and gone to jail.

Well, this is why Glocks should be carried in proper holsters...not loose and loaded in your sweat pants. The dumb ***** deserved what he got.

Anyway...going back to the reason why I started this thread. How many of you guys have had experiences with 10mm 1911s (aside from Deltas)? I'd like to hear your thoughts and reviews...especially if you have a long slide version.

Thanks!

Retired Squid
05-02-2010, 05:18
Anyway...going back to the reason why I started this thread. How many of you guys have had experiences with 10mm 1911s (aside from Deltas)? I'd like to hear your thoughts and reviews...especially if you have a long slide version.

Thanks!There only one real 1911 in 10 mm and that's a Colt Delta Elite. :tongueout:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x245/oldnavy6393/45.gif

Kegs
05-02-2010, 09:22
There only one real 1911 in 10 mm and that's a Colt Delta Elite. :tongueout:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x245/oldnavy6393/45.gif

Wait a minute. That picture needs adjusted: 3 things (longer ejection port, longer brass - it looks like .380 brass :rofl:- and a WAY HUGER FIREBALL! :supergrin: )

Retired Squid
05-02-2010, 09:57
Wait a minute. That picture needs adjusted: 3 things (longer ejection port, longer brass - it looks like .380 brass :rofl:- and a WAY HUGER FIREBALL! :supergrin: )Hey as much time that I wasted finding it you could give a guy a break, remember nothing is perfect. :tongueout:

MakeMineA10mm
05-02-2010, 20:31
Well, this is why Glocks should be carried in proper holsters...not loose and loaded in your sweat pants. The dumb ***** deserved what he got.

Thanks!

DH,
My 1911 10mm experiences have only been with two Deltas, but my comments are not about Colt's Delta inasmuch as a condemnation of that platform with the 10mm cartridge, in general. I had no problems with my Deltas, as I've heard others talking about (such as battering, cracking, etc.).

My complaints have to do with the installation of a truly MAGNUM cartridge into a handgun design that was never meant for a magnum cartridge. I could go into a lot of stuff that would wind up in strong disagreements and debates here, such as: JMB designed the 1911 with 19,000psi cartridge in mind that threw big, heavy, and SLOW punkin' balls, as opposed to 37,500psi cartridge with medium, heavy, and FAST bullets. The inherent differences are obvious, and come out when you see what Colt and others have done to try to handle that upgrade in cartridge (such as dual-recoil-springs).

No, my real criticisms are that the 1911 has a fairly high bore-line-above-grip spacing. Combine that with a very high slide velocity (due to the 10mm cartridge's nature), and recoil snap can get lively. Now, combine that with the slender/slim grip design of the 1911, and it can get downright painful...

I would still like to look into a 1911 in 10mm, but I will ONLY look at a long-slide version. The reason is two-fold. First, we are maximizing the performance of the cartridge, because that extra barrel length lets our medium-slow powders to develop more speed. Second, the long-slide versions have a heavier weight of their top-end, and this slows down slide velocity slightly. I might even add some weights to the slide to fine-tune the lock-time and make it a little longer, if possible, but first I'd research to see if any of the designs currently available had thicker/beefier/higher top-end weights.

I've not really kept up on the long-slides that are available on the market, because this is still a "some-day" purchase for me. (I've got a couple Bren Tens to pay for as my next 10mm purchase...) But the above is my knowledge and experience, and I'll be watching your thread here to see what you decide and what other input you get.

J. Parker
05-02-2010, 20:55
Oh please folks.....would you ever trust your life to a 1911 10mm pistol? In the deep woods? As a home defense pistol? Let's get real. The 10mm 1911 pistol is a nice conversation piece but THAT'S IT! Come back down to earth. The G20/G29 are the only 10mm pistols I would EVER trust!:faint:

DrtyHarry
05-02-2010, 20:58
I would still like to look into a 1911 in 10mm, but I will ONLY look at a long-slide version. The reason is two-fold. First, we are maximizing the performance of the cartridge, because that extra barrel length lets our medium-slow powders to develop more speed. Second, the long-slide versions have a heavier weight of their top-end, and this slows down slide velocity slightly. I might even add some weights to the slide to fine-tune the lock-time and make it a little longer, if possible, but first I'd research to see if any of the designs currently available had thicker/beefier/higher top-end weights.

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! I agree with you about the long slide, the reasons you stated above are the reasons why I'm going to have Fusion Arms build me a long slide 1911 in 10mm.

I've found that having a pic rail on some of my other 1911s helped keep the nose down, it's not much more weight...but the little extra weight up front makes a huge difference. It's my understanding that Fusion makes the finest 10mm long slides. I can say that they make the most beautiful long slides that I have ever seen....but never fired one. The reviews I read from owners of long slide Fusions really helped make up my mind. I'm going to look around for a new one that will fit my liking, if not...I'll just have to wait and have one built to my specs.

Again, thanks for your detailed reply! :wavey:

DH

DrtyHarry
05-02-2010, 21:07
Oh please folks.....would you ever trust your life to a 1911 10mm pistol? In the deep woods? As a home defense pistol? Let's get real. The 10mm 1911 pistol is a nice conversation piece but THAT'S IT! Come back down to earth. The G20/G29 are the only 10mm pistols I would EVER trust!:faint:

I agree with you that the G20 & 29 are the most reliable 10mmrs around.

Would I trust the 10mm 1911 it in the woods or as a SD pistol? I don't know. I'd have to put a couple hundred rounds down range before I would even consider using it as a SD pistol...as with every firearm I own.

If I get the same reliability that I get from one of my Wilson .45s, I'd put my life behind it. If I can't, it will be a range toy. Yes, Wilson does make 10mm variants...but I don't want to dish out that kind of cash for a woods/possible hunting gun. Besides, I'm set on a long slide....and Wilson only has the Hunter model with a 5.5" barrel. No long slides. :(

DH

10mm Sonny
05-02-2010, 23:34
F%&# Elite's. Gold Cup baby!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/z07vette/10mmGoldCup0026a.jpg

Myself
05-03-2010, 13:16
I have, for the most part, every 10mm 1911 pistol made. For a new build, dollar for dollar, I would recomend the Fusion.

DrtyHarry
05-03-2010, 13:52
I have, for the most part, every 10mm 1911 pistol made. For a new build, dollar for dollar, I would recomend the Fusion.

I'm glad you said that. Shows that my research wasn't a waste of time. Fusion it is! Thank you.

DH

NordicG3K
05-03-2010, 14:40
The 1911, in various lengths, makes an excellent platform for the 10mm, as long as it's set up correctly. The three main mods needed are 1) cutting out the slide-stop notch, 2) installing an EGW oversized firing pin stop, and 3) upgrading the recoil spring to 20-24lbs. I would also advise upgrading magazine springs with Wolff +10% springs as the slide velocity can be just a bit too quick for the standard mag spring to push up the next round into position so that it can be chambered without jamming.

If I were in the market for a new 1911 10mm I'd go with a Fusion. In my opinion, Bob Serva is the main reason for the recent resurgence in popularity of the 10mm Auto. When he was the head of Dan Wesson he was the one responsible for introducing the Razorback which prompted a number of other makers to add a 10mm offering to their lineup. Though he left Dan Wesson when CZ took over, Bob is still serious about the 10mm cartridge. I haven't shot any of the Fusion 1911s, but if they're anything like the early DW 10mms they should be great guns.

http://nordicg3k.tripod.com/my_gun_pics/1911_10mms_update.jpg

chemboy
05-04-2010, 14:35
I think A wilson CQB in 10mm would be sweet!!!

Waffentomas
05-04-2010, 14:54
J Parker

We will have to agree to disagree. I carry my 10mm CQB everywhere and trust my life and my family's with it. The only reason I carry my glock 20 hunting is because of its larger mag cap. I put 1000 rounds a month through the Wilson, every month for the three years I have had it. It's a solid, reliable gun.

Fox184
05-04-2010, 21:26
Excellent post Nordic. If anyone knows how to build a 10mm it is Mr. Serva. Saving up, hopefully this fall I will be able to order one from him.

nickE10mm
05-04-2010, 21:28
Here is my take on the 10mm 1911 subject....

Like Nordic and others, I find the 10mm in a 1911 design is just fine as long as its set up correctly.

The main thing you need to consider is the high slide speed when looking at feeding issues and parts longevity. A full sized 5" 10mm 1911 should have a +10% Wolff mag springs, 20-22lb Wolff recoil spring, 18.5 lb Wolff mainspring, flat (or a VERY small 45 degree radius) firing pin stop, and a forged slide-stop with a dimple added for reliability with very hot loads.

Assuming your 1911 is built well and with correct parts, I doubt you will EVER have any problems with longevity or feeding. I DO, however, think that the 10mm is better suited in a 6" longslide configuration as it allows more time for powder burn, gives a longer sight radius and slows down the slide quite a bit using good old-fashioned INERTIA, no less, rather than mechanically with levers.

As for which one you should get? If you've got $1500 to spend there is only one answer: a Fusion 10mm longslide. Its the ONE gun on my list that hasn't budged. I will own one someday. But hey, at least I've got my Razorback... my favorite pistol, to keep me company during the wait.

DrtyHarry
05-04-2010, 21:44
I think A wilson CQB in 10mm would be sweet!!!

Got one in .45 and it's my EDC (Tactical LE). I was going to have them make me one in 10mm, but I didn't want to add another Wilson to my 1911 collection....besides, I've read so many good reviews on Fusions 10mm, I decided to go that way. I have not found that much feedback on Wilsons 10mm. The price between the two is also rather big.

DrtyHarry
05-04-2010, 21:51
J Parker

We will have to agree to disagree. I carry my 10mm CQB everywhere and trust my life and my family's with it. The only reason I carry my glock 20 hunting is because of its larger mag cap. I put 1000 rounds a month through the Wilson, every month for the three years I have had it. It's a solid, reliable gun.

As much as I love my CQB in .45, after reading this I wish I would have had it made in 10mm instead. :faint: (I didn't discover the astounding performance of the 10mm until I got my G20). Now, all I shoot is .45 and 10mm (oh, and .40 in my BUG G27).

Roneye
05-13-2010, 18:09
I have a Glock 20L 6" with bomar sights, a G29 for the summer months and I look forward to the winter when I can carry my Delta. It is very accurate and just as reliable as either of my Glocks. It has no problems with most ammo although I reload my own. It is by far my favorite for pin competitions.

http://boomboomtactical.com/Delta02.jpg

http://boomboomtactical.com/Delta03.jpg

DrtyHarry
05-13-2010, 18:57
Sweet Delta Roneye!!

DH

agtman
05-13-2010, 19:11
I have a Glock 20L 6" with bomar sights, a G29 for the summer months and I look forward to the winter when I can carry my Delta. It is very accurate and just as reliable as either of my Glocks. It has no problems with most ammo although I reload my own. It is by far my favorite for pin competitions.

Now that's a real sweet one right there. :wow:

:cool:

Roneye
05-13-2010, 19:35
Thanks, although I work on Glocks day in and out I have always liked the 10mm DE's. I have a custom 1911 10mm with a commander slide and an officer frame too.

nickE10mm
05-13-2010, 19:55

Just a GORGEOUS Delta, bud!

bac1023
05-13-2010, 21:10
I only buy 1911s in 45ACP, but the 10mm is an awesome round. :)

freakshow10mm
05-13-2010, 23:48
My 10mm 1911 is my carry gun 99% of the time. I've put about 30,00 rounds of 10mm (yes real 10mm) downrange with my gun and it's never had a failure of any kind.

Deep woods protection? Been there done that. Good size black bear got killed with 3 rapid shots. Load was 180gr XTP handloads at 1225fps from my commander.

Home defense pistol? You bet. Right next to my bed every night.

Basically you just hate the 1911 and keep trolling on and on about your disdain for 10mm 1911s in general. We get it. :upeyes:

agtman
05-14-2010, 04:50
Old pic of my Vic Tibbets custom DE.
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/10mm-1.jpg

Agree with what others have said here. If a 1911 is set-up correctly for the higher operating pressure of the 10mm cartridge - preferably by a pistolsmith who knows what he's doing, whether in terms of minimalist touches or a full-house custom job - the gun will run without issues.

Sure, you may have to change out the springs over time, but that's a maintainance issue for any working/carry/duty gun anyway, unless you're only interested in a "safe queen." Then you might as well save your cash and leave it box-stock.

Of course, there are any number of 10mm 1911s out there, including stock DEs from the late 1980s, that have fired thousands of rounds with nothing done to them other than swapping out XP recoil springs as needed.

:cool:

steve4102
05-14-2010, 06:01
This is my 10mm 1911, DW CBOB. Shoots great, no problems with reliability as long as I keep my mag springs fresh. I like it.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/steve4102/cbob-1.jpg