.357 Sig dies--Lee's sizer not available in carbide? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .357 Sig dies--Lee's sizer not available in carbide?

jeffreybehr
04-27-2010, 20:14
I've e-mailed Lee to verify, but Lee apparently doesn't list a carbide sizing die in .357 Sig. Anyone know why?

I speculate that the short bottlenecked case doesn't need to be lubed when being sized, but...?

fredj338
04-27-2010, 20:21
I can't figure out why not. Dillon does, & it works great. The only part that needs carbide sizing is the bottom anyway. Most that want to use Lee dies for the 357sig will buy a 40 carbide sizer & size twice. This eliminates luning the case but adds a step.

sig357fan
04-28-2010, 05:50
.....Most that want to use Lee dies for the 357sig will buy a 40 carbide sizer & size twice. This eliminates luning the case but adds a step.

What Fred said, thats the way I do it, but I always deprime before tumbling anyway so it dosn't add a step for me.

Size the body and deprime with a 40 S&W carbide sizing die on a single stage press, then tumble, then reload with a 3 die set plus a FCD on the Lee Classic Turret press.

works for me,

sig357fan

coachg
04-28-2010, 07:26
On my Loadmaster, I use the 40 die to deprime and size in the first station and then use the 357 Sig die in the second to resize the neck. Works out great because it aligns the case for the priming operation.

garyjandfamily
04-28-2010, 09:19
What Fred said, thats the way I do it, but I always deprime before tumbling anyway so it dosn't add a step for me.

Size the body and deprime with a 40 S&W carbide sizing die on a single stage press, then tumble, then reload with a 3 die set plus a FCD on the Lee Classic Turret press.

works for me,

sig357fan

How do you keep the primer hole from getting clogged with tumbler media? :dunno: I've given up on depriming before tumbling, because I hate the extra step of cleaning out the primer hole...

Hydraulicman
04-28-2010, 14:27
just get some hornady one shot case lube. i use it for 9mm brass

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 14:35
How do you keep the primer hole from getting clogged with tumbler media? :dunno: I've given up on depriming before tumbling, because I hate the extra step of cleaning out the primer hole...

I wonder if the primer punch would knock out any crap. Like you said, seems like more trouble then its worth.

sig357fan
04-28-2010, 16:32

I've gotten into the habit of depriming with a Lee Universal Depriming die for all rounds I reload except the 357 Sig. I use the Lee 40 S&W carbide sizer on 357 Sig brass to deprimes and sizes the case body.

I do all depriming on a single stage press with a brass kicker so it isn't that big of a deal to get done.

I run Harbor Freight 24 grit crushed walnut shells in my tumbler, the grains are smaller than the flash hole in brass (see link).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=92155

I add a cap full of Nu-Finish car wax, a cap full of mineral spirits and a used dryer sheet tore into strips each time I tumble, always let the tumbler run for 5 or so minutes to mix in before adding the brass.

When I reload any of the brass preped this way I use the sandard sizing die for that paticular round, leaving the depriming stem in place as you would for normal reloading.

I've never had a problem with the flash hole being clogged with tumbling medium when sizing at reloading, I do see a few grains of tumbling medium in the spent primer catch tube, but very, very little if any at all.

The main reason I do this is to have a clean primer pocket when priming, this gives you a good "feel" when priming on a press, it also makes it oh so easy when hand priming, I've not lost a single primer since I started doing this.

sig357fan

dudel
04-28-2010, 17:21

I just leave the deprimng rod in. It pushes out any media in the flash hole.

fredj338
04-29-2010, 01:17
I wonder if the primer punch would knock out any crap. Like you said, seems like more trouble then its worth.
It certainly does, but I still tumble before sizing. I like clean brass going into my die.

M1fuzz
04-29-2010, 02:41
Yeah, you have to lube the 357Sig cases when using the Lee dies. However, having a friend that works at Lee this is changing soon.

fredj338
04-29-2010, 11:46
Yeah, you have to lube the 357Sig cases when using the Lee dies. However, having a friend that works at Lee this is changing soon.

Seriously, it makes no sense to me to not put the carbide sizing ring into the die. It only needs to size the base of the case, the small shoulder & neck need little in the way of sizing.:dunno:

kcbrown
04-29-2010, 18:26
Seriously, it makes no sense to me to not put the carbide sizing ring into the die. It only needs to size the base of the case, the small shoulder & neck need little in the way of sizing.:dunno:

This surprises me, because the only thing keeping the bullet in place is the neck tension. There's no backstop for the bullet in the .357 SIG like there is in other straight-walled cases.

That being the case, I'd think the resizing operation for the neck would be critical...

fredj338
04-30-2010, 01:47
This surprises me, because the only thing keeping the bullet in place is the neck tension. There's no backstop for the bullet in the .357 SIG like there is in other straight-walled cases.

That being the case, I'd think the resizing operation for the neck would be critical...

Didn't say it wasn't critical, just doesn't require much force to size the neck, so carbide in that are is not needed. Just a carbide ring to size the base, just like Dillon does. Why other die manuf haven't done this already is just crazy.