Full length sizing die [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Full length sizing die

vtducrider
04-27-2010, 21:50
I have been using Dillon's carbide die sets, with Redding competition seating die on my 550 press. The results have been good, until a friend of mine started shooting my reloads in his Gen1 Glocks, which cause the infamous "Glock Bulge" in casings. My Dillon resizing/decapping die does not do a good job with those that suffer the bulge. I have heard of full length sizing dies, but never followed up on them. Any recommendations? I am assuming this will resolve the problem.

PCJim
04-27-2010, 22:09
VT, I presume you are reloading 40S&W and my response is so based. I am not aware of pistol caliber reloading dies being anything but full length sizing. I believe what you have heard about full length sizing dies was related to rifle dies.

While I do not have personal experience on these next few comments, I give this answer based on other information I have come across. You may be having a problem with the Glock bulge due to the Dillon dies having a slightly greater beveled mouth than other dies, such as Lee. The greater bevel allows for a smoother operation on the progressive 550b (think slight misalignment of the case will still enter the die). Unfortunately, that bevel takes away a small portion of the metal needed for sizing the case as close to the head as possible. Lee dies are supposed to have less bevel and thus resize further down the case.

Lee does sell a kit specifically for removing the Glock bulge which uses their FCD die (not included in the kit). It basically involves pushing the case completely thru the FCD and it's carbide insert, thus fully sizing the case. There is debate whether using this to remove a Glock bulge is a good idea, as overworking the case in a stretched area could very well be setting oneself up for a case rupture. I do not use this kit, but then I have not come across any Glock bulged brass.

MrVvrroomm
04-27-2010, 22:29
http://www.sinclairintl.com/product/12790/

Here's your answer

cysoto
04-27-2010, 22:32
There is little I can add to what PCJim has already mentioned other than saying that there are several manufacturers that produce these "push-through" sizing dies. Other than the Lee Bulge Buster that Jim mentions, you can also achieve the same results with the Redding G-Rx or another one called "The Gizmo".

These are designed for .40S&W "glocked" brass and they all require a single-stage press (you cannot use them in your Dillon 550).

I have heard that some loaders also use a sizing and decapping die made by Lee and sold by EGW called the "U" die (for undersize). I have one of these and, even though it minimized the problem of glocked brass, it didn't fully remedied it. I also tried using the Lee Factory Crimp Die and this one did take care of some problems I was having with 9mm ammo but again, I still had the problem with some of my .40S&W ammo.

Like it's been already said, both of these have less of a bell at the mouth of the die reason for which they will size the case closer to the rim.

vtducrider
04-28-2010, 10:11
It looks like I can use the Redding GRX in station 1 of my 550B, to only resize the casings. And then switch back to the Dillon die for normal operation. Will this work? I really don't want to get a single stage press. Even if this works, it will add another step in the process. It might be easier to get my friend to invest in an aftermarket barrel for his G22.

I have a Gen3 G23, and it does not seem to cause the bulge.

cysoto
04-28-2010, 10:19
It looks like I can use the Redding GRX in station 1 of my 550B, to only resize the casings. And then switch back to the Dillon die for normal operation. Will this work? I really don't want to get a single stage press. Even if this works, it will add another step in the process. It might be easier to get my friend to invest in an aftermarket barrel for his G22.

I have a Gen3 G23, and it does not seem to cause the bulge.
Nope, there is no way that you can make the G-Rx work in you 550. The push-rod is designed to be attached to a single-stage press. There is no way to make it work with Dillon's shell plate.