550B skipping a primer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 550B skipping a primer

XDRoX
04-27-2010, 22:42
I loaded 50 rounds last night, in under 15 minutes BTW (I'm use to a single stage, so I have to brag:supergrin:).
One out of the 50 didn't prime. I guess it didn't come out of the tube because I remembered to push the handle forward on every pull.

What caused this and is there a way to prevent it in the future?

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 06:11
Slow down and KNOW that the primer seated. With a 550 there is no reason to not feel that it didn't primer. The difference between pushing the handle on a deprimed case with no primer on the primer punch and actually priming a case is HUGE.

BK63
04-28-2010, 06:17
If a primer sticks sideways in the tube it might not feed. Make sure you have that plastic stick in there pushing down on the primers and make sure the slide is moving all the way back to pick up the next primer. You should know if one did not seat. By the way, I had 10 minutes to spare last night, and loaded 50 rounds in 10 minutes :supergrin:

unclebob
04-28-2010, 07:40
When I had the 550 I use too look in the primer cup too make sure that there was a primer and that it was not sideways or upside down. Also feeling the primer being seated.
Try putting a couple of primers in a case then try a couple with no primers in the primer cup too get use too the feel of no primer.
How many rounds were loaded when the primer tube was empty.If you had 101 with one with no primer, You could have short stroked the handle. If you have 99 loaded look for a loose primer on the floor etc. Some times at least I had every once in a blue moon a primer that would skip out of the primer cup.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 07:42
Not that speed is that important. But speed on the press is not really about how fast you pull the handle. It's about speeding up the non-press items like putting the bullet on the case and putting the case in the 1st station. You should not sacrifice the feel of the press to go faster. I can load 100 rds in under 8 mins and I feel every primer go into the pocket, I can even tell if the primer pocket is bigger or smaller. I look in every case for powder before seating the bullet. So it's not needed to sacrifice feel for speed.

BK63
04-28-2010, 07:53
A box of 50 in 10 minutes is taking my time. I don't go any faster than that. The slowest part for me is seating that primer and making sure it's seated all the way. Some of them you can feel snap in and sometimes one just doesn't want to go in. I don't want one going off so thats where I slow down.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 07:57
Thanks for the responses.
I do not feel like I'm pulling the handle too fast nor rushing when loading. I do look into every case to make sure the powder looks right before seating a bullet.
But I have only loaded under 200 rounds on the 550B so I'm still learning what it should feel like when I load. In addition to that, the brass I was loading is very worn, probably been loaded lots of times and the CCI primers slip right in with hardly any effort. But I should have felt the difference, I will pay closer attention in the future.
It happen on the 3rd round out of the 50. I think I did feel the difference, but I just didn't make the connection.

Does anyone know what would cause this problem and how to avoid it happening again? Is something dirty that I could clean? Or re-align or something?

Because even if I do catch it next time it happens, it'll still be a hassle to stop and fix.

Thanks

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 08:11
You need to be sure it's not opperator error before you try and trouble shoot the machine and make things worse perhaps. So start with this

1) Be sure the primer setup is right. Make sure you have the small primer tube in them primer tube. People often put the large tube in, load it with small primers and wonder why it doesn't work right.
2) Be sure your pulling the handle down all the way when you size. Hard stop.
3) Make sure the tip on the primer tube is not damaged. Make sure its seated properly in the tube. It has a index tab.
4) Be sure the slider is moving all the way back. All the time.
5) Be sure its clean
6) Be sure your using the right slider for the right primer.
7) Brian Enos posted a long post about adjusting the primer alignment. Search his site. Its the best I have seen for that isse

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 08:15
You need to be sure it's not opperator error before you try and trouble shoot the machine and make things worse perhaps. So start with this

1) Be sure the primer setup is right. Make sure you have the small primer tube in them primer tube. People often put the large tube in, load it with small primers and wonder why it doesn't work right.
2) Be sure your pulling the handle down all the way when you size. Hard stop.
3) Make sure the tip on the primer tube is not damaged. Make sure its seated properly in the tube. It has a index tab.
4) Be sure the slider is moving all the way back. All the time.
5) Be sure its clean
6) Be sure your using the right slider for the right primer.
7) Brian Enos posted a long post about adjusting the primer alignment. Search his site. Its the best I have seen for that isse

Thanks Steve.

MinervaDoe
04-28-2010, 08:39
... make sure the slide is moving all the way back to pick up the next primer.
+1

This is where mine misses the primer.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 08:41
+1

This is where mine misses the primer.

If this is my problem, what's the fix?

GioaJack
04-28-2010, 08:48
XD...:

Are you sure Little Stevie didn't take a trip to Kalifornia some time back and you're his unintended love child? The two of you sure come up with similar yet unusual problems. Petition the state to get Fred to adopt you... don't forget to demand all his loading equipment in your inheritance. :supergrin:

Jack

ron59
04-28-2010, 09:10

This happened to me. Even though I ordered my 550B "for 9mm"... it came with the LARGE PRIMER FEED TUBE installed! The first few cases primed fine, then I started having problems with feeding. Flipped primers, missing primers, etc.

If you did not replace the Primer Feed Tube when you setup your 550B, I'll bet you have the large one installed also.

Verify this before continuing.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 10:05
If this is my problem, what's the fix?

Rather then spout off some "Fix" lets just talk about the 550 priming system a little first.

It's a pretty simple system. You have a slider that goes under the primer tube, the tube has a tip that holds the next primer until the slider moves and releases the primer. The slider is moved by an activating rod. Slider rides in the chassis of the housing that holds the tube. It's pretty simple really once you watch it work. SO, with that said the fix for the slider not moving back far enough is with the activating rod. BUT, it's highly unlikely the activating rod is your issue on a new machine. The slider needs to move freely. So the housing needs to be properly assembled on the ram, lined up with the primer hole. Start with a basic check. Check the primer housing for proper size. Primers fit in that housing tight. SP is a blue tip. If you don't have a blue tip it's wrong. Then check the slider for free and easy movement. Remove the spring and raise the ram. Check that it can move easily. Lower the ram slowly, watch the primer punch go in the hole in the shellplate. Untighten the two bolts holding the housing to the ram a little, make sure the punch/slider are centered in the hole by gently pushing forward as if to prime. Tighten the two bolts. The slider should slide freely and go in the hole freely. Be sure it moves freely all the way to the rear (towards you). As you load keep the area under the slider clean, wipe under the slider with a rag, wipe in front of the slider (with handle down) regularly. DO NOT LUBE THIS AREA. If it still does not go all the way back bend the rod at the top bend to get more force on the slider. Put the rod in a vice to make this easy. You still need to be sure the primer housing is aligned with the slider/cup. Thats explained in the Brian Enos post he post about once a month it seems. The 550 priming setup is simple really. It needs to be clean, primers need to be aligned with the cup, tip needs to be in good shape, slider needs to move all the way back. Problems are normally gunk under the slider or alignment of the housing to the ram causing the slider to bind. Disassemble it every 1k rounds or so to clean under the slider. It just depends on how clean you keep it as you load. Good luck.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102381&st=0&p=1166247&hl=Priming&fromsearch=1&#entry1166247

mnhogrider
04-28-2010, 11:41
Is your 550B new?

Mine had a "break-in" period. The primer transfer bar would "chatter" coming back to get a primer out of the magazine tube and would miss every once in awhile.

I found that after the plate that's under the transfer bar got a wear pattern in it, things were fine. I also loosened the two primer magazine tube mounting bolts so they're just snug. I did bend the rod out just a tiny bit too. Maybe it was a combination of all these tweaks.

I'd load 500 rounds and then see how it's doing. Careful if you decide to try and bend the rod. I read somewhere that too much force and it goes ker-snap.

As mentioned, make sure you're using the right size transfer bar and magazine tube.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 11:54
Is your 550B new?

Mine had a "break-in" period. The primer transfer bar would "chatter" coming back to get a primer out of the magazine tube and would miss every once in awhile.

I found that after the plate that's under the transfer bar got a wear pattern in it, things were fine. I also loosened the two primer magazine tube mounting bolts so they're just snug. I did bend the rod out just a tiny bit too. Maybe it was a combination of all these tweaks.

I'd load 500 rounds and then see how it's doing. Careful if you decide to try and bend the rod. I read somewhere that too much force and it goes ker-snap.

As mentioned, make sure you're using the right size transfer bar and magazine tube.

It is new, thanks for the tips.

IndyGunFreak
04-28-2010, 12:08
I think I did feel the difference, but I just didn't make the connection.

I have to take this briefly off topic, cuz this just cracked me up. I don't know if you ever listen to the Bob and Tom radio show, but they have this skit they do called "Mr. Obvious".. basically, he's like a radio talk show who tells people really obvious things. The "caller" who calls in after being explained the answer usually says, "Huh Mr. Obvious, I never made the connection".. :)

Here's one of the most hilarious skits they ever done..

ARARARARARARARAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XZMC1M9o04

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 12:36
I just took it apart. It was very very dirty. I don't even know how it got so dirty. I think some of it may have been from a powder spill incident that I'd rather not speak of:whistling:

Anyway, I used a cotton ball and some alcohol and it's looks brand new again. I loaded ten rounds without a problem. I think it was probably dirty but I'll watch. One time during the ten rounds I felt like a primer did not seat, but I stopped and looked and it had seated. Maybe it's time I stopped using this old brass someone gave me at 7-11. But it still shoots good, I don't want to throw it away.

fredj338
04-28-2010, 13:17
I just took it apart. It was very very dirty. I don't even know how it got so dirty. I think some of it may have been from a powder spill incident that I'd rather not speak of:whistling:

Anyway, I used a cotton ball and some alcohol and it's looks brand new again. I loaded ten rounds without a problem. I think it was probably dirty but I'll watch. One time during the ten rounds I felt like a primer did not seat, but I stopped and looked and it had seated. Maybe it's time I stopped using this old brass someone gave me at 7-11. But it still shoots good, I don't want to throw it away.

Yep, you've learned the single weak spot of the 550B, the priming system. AS you deprime, crud drops onto the primer slide & the area around it. After a couple 100 rds, it can start to not pick up. So keep it very clean, I use a can of air or compressor after every 100rds or so. You eventually get the feel for the primer being seated. I just watch the slide as it comes forward to see if it has a priner. Even watching the primer slide & pwoder drop, 100rds in 15min is easily done once you get the feel. Stay with it.:supergrin:

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 13:39

Thats the issue. You have to keep it clean. Anytime you spill powder you need to blow out under the shellplate and clean the priming area. You may need to take the priming housing off to clean it properly if you opterated the handle with that spilt powder. Did you look at that link I posted. Good tips from Benos in that thread. I know some say the 550 weakness is it's priming setup. I don't have issue with mine. I do have to wipe it as I described above. That takes most the disassemble cleaning away. If you don't wipe it regularly you will be disassembling it far more often as a result. I will load 200 rds and clean it with out disassemble. I always stop with a full shellplate when I load new primers. I stop with the handle in the down postion. Never stop with it in the up position. Then wipe the bottom of the slider and in front of the slider, fill the primers, start loading again.

PCJim
04-28-2010, 13:41
Like already stated, keeping the primer bar and that entire area clean is essential to a good running press. Very infrequently, my 550b will somehow not properly drop a deprimed primer, and it will end up on the slider bar and prevent the cup from being able to pick up a fresh primer.

Also, be very attentive to the amount of torque you apply to the primer tube cap. Do NOT torque it tight, only enough to begin to feel some resistance. Too much torque and you will damage the tip at the bottom of the tube. When that happens, you will have frequent failures to pick up a fresh primer if it can even dispense one.

GioaJack
04-28-2010, 13:56
Ever since Little Stevie tore down and rebuilt my 550 it's been running like a champ... as good as new, if not better. Turns out the blueberry muffin I gave him was a good investment.

If I had tried fixing it I'd have a big blue paperweight.

Jack

ron59
04-28-2010, 16:27
Another little "tip", is to adjust the paper-clip thingy which holds the brass in place at the sizing/priming station. When I first setup my 550, I didn't have it as close to the brass... the brass would occasionally shift around and the primer wouldn't want to seat well.

I've now adjusted it so that it's right there touching the brass.... the brass doesn't move, and the primer slips right in. My priming stroke has been MUCH smoother since I did that. In fact, sometimes I have to check a piece of brass as the primer slid in so smooth, it felt like there was nothing there... but it was.

I clean my primer area maybe every 3-4000 rounds. Seriously. No problems AT all.

Did I just jinx myself ? ;)

cyberiad
04-28-2010, 19:01
I have occasionally had a loaded round with no primer as well. Along with the other suggestions I now try always to make sure to 'install' a new tube of primers before the low primer buzzer goes off. I know if it does there are a few primers left but it seems to me I have no "issues" if I refill before so few are left.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 19:28
I have occasionally had a loaded round with no primer as well. Along with the other suggestions I now try always to make sure to 'install' a new tube of primers before the low primer buzzer goes off. I know if it does there are a few primers left but it seems to me I have no "issues" if I refill before so few are left.

Run a patch through the primer tube.

MinervaDoe
04-29-2010, 20:37
. If it still does not go all the way back bend the rod at the top bend to get more force on the slider. Put the rod in a vice to make this easy.
Thanks. That worked for me.