newb reloading mistake [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : newb reloading mistake

aggiekcc
04-27-2010, 23:48
Well, I got my Lee turret setup and have produced 30 rounds of 180 gr 5.6 gr Titegroup 10mm. I haven't had a chance to go to the range yet to try them but I decided to go ahead and set up another turret for 124gr 9mm using the Titegroup.

I get everything setup for the dies and was going to run some dummy rounds through to check the powder drop. Using the Lee disc was giving me a consistently light load so I needed to rotate the disc to a larger hole and most of you can guess what I forgot to do before removing the hopper........

I forgot to turn off the powder flow and ended up with a mess of Titegroup all over my floor and reloading bench!! Guess I wll file that away with the other mistakes I've made and clean up in the morning after the wife goes to work. Can't really run the vacuum at midnight!!!

Figured you guys could use a laugh.

CitizenOfDreams
04-28-2010, 07:26
Just light it up with a match, it'll be gone in a second. :rofl:

Taterhead
04-29-2010, 18:35
Funny story. Don't run those in your vacuum though. Broom and dust pan please. I've scattered powder before realizing that I forgot to seat primers. Flash holes look small, but they let a lot of Accurate Powder out the bottom if not plugged up with a primer.

Here is another scary newb story from last week. I have been mentoring my father-in-law as he is learning to load ammo.

I load with a single stage press and so does he. One step that I do EVERY time, just before charging with powder, is to take a flashlight and look for foreign bodies or other anomalies inside the case. Obviously the reason for doing that is because foreign objects consume volume and, thus, can spike pressures.

My FIL did not do that so he did not noticed that the decapping pin had fallen into one case, and the expander ball fell into another. He was only partially neck sizing new bottleneck brass so he, I guess, did not realize that at some point he wasn't actually working any brass.

The narrative as I understand it goes like this:

Insert brass, pull the handle, do actually nothing because the expander ball is in one of your cases. Think you've partially sized the necks of all of your new brass. :rofl:

Seat primers. Don't notice "something extra" in two of your cases.

Move on to powder: Throw charges. Seat a batch. Why is the powder overflowing this particular case? Hmmmm, let's weigh it. Weight is right. Funnel it back in. Hmmmm. Still overflowing. I wonder if something is in the case...? wait a minute! is that my decapping pin in there? Let's get that screwed back into the expander... wait another minute... now where is the expander ball? Must be somewhere in that batch of loaded and seated bullets. Which one? Let's give 'em the shake-and-listen test. That one there sounds a little rattly. Let's pull the bullet. Yup. There she is.

Moral of the story? Check for foreign bodies and don't forget to tighten the screw-on parts of your dies. Could have been a bad excess pressure situation.

Anyone know the ballistic coefficient of a .30 cal expander ball? :supergrin: