Wolf Ammunition SUCKS! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Ammunition SUCKS!

ept000
04-28-2010, 09:36
I have been waiting and waiting for a packet that was promised to me by Wolf Ammunition. In the packet was to be shipping tags for me to send back the empty boxes from the last batch of defective primers, and their guarantee says they would refund my money. I have traded emails and phone calls for quite some time now and now this morning I was told that unless I get a hazmat license and ship the primers back to them on my dime, they will not refund my money, or stand behind their guarantee. The cost of a hazmat license is more than the cost of the primers, so they know nobody is going to ship primers back, so now I'm stuck. I told them they need to take their guarantee off the web site and their packaging since it's no longer true. He said the guarantee now only applies to loaded ammunition. They no longer guarantee any of their components.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 09:46
I have been waiting and waiting for a packet that was promised to me by Wolf Ammunition. In the packet was to be shipping tags for me to send back the empty boxes from the last batch of defective primers, and their guarantee says they would refund my money. I have traded emails and phone calls for quite some time now and now this morning I was told that unless I get a hazmat license and ship the primers back to them on my dime, they will not refund my money, or stand behind their guarantee. The cost of a hazmat license is more than the cost of the primers, so they know nobody is going to ship primers back, so now I'm stuck. I told them they need to take their guarantee off the web site and their packaging since it's no longer true. He said the guarantee now only applies to loaded ammunition. They no longer guarantee any of their components.

Man that sucks, sorry to hear. I am expecting some wolf primers in the mail today. I hope I have better luck.
What exactly was the problem with them?

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 10:08
Remmington would not take care of the primers I had that were too long to seat on a 550.

ept000
04-28-2010, 10:15
I was having numerous failures to fire with this batch, around ten percent. My older batch of Wolf works fine, and my guns have stock springs. It's clearly a defective batch.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 10:55
People I know loading on a 1050 are having the primers seated really deep. It's compresses the primer a little bit and solves the FTF issue. I don't think my 550 would seat them that deep but I never tried. I thought you were using a 1050 so maybe try seating them a little deeper.

ept000
04-28-2010, 11:16
I'm using a L-n-L, but no matter what I still can't trust these primers.

G20gunner
04-28-2010, 11:20
How many of the defective primers did you buy?

G20gunner

ept000
04-28-2010, 11:35

IndyGunFreak
04-28-2010, 12:26

Ouch...

I know it sucks, but what about buying a hand priming tool, so you don't have to eat it?

IGF

ept000
04-28-2010, 12:46
Ouch...

I know it sucks, but what about buying a hand priming tool, so you don't have to eat it?

IGF

I'm not having any seating issues, the primers are just no good. I can run them back through the gun and sometimes it will take two strikes, sometimes three or four before they go off. I have several that wouldn't go off no matter how many times they were struck.

I have used Wolf in the past, and they worked very well, but never again. I understand that every manufacturer can have a bad batch, but not standing behind thier product is what pisses me off.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 13:01
I'm not having any seating issues, the primers are just no good. I can run them back through the gun and sometimes it will take two strikes, sometimes three or four before they go off. I have several that wouldn't go off no matter how many times they were struck.

I have used Wolf in the past, and they worked very well, but never again. I understand that every manufacturer can have a bad batch, but not standing behind thier product is what pisses me off.

Ya I don't think I'd buy them again after reading this.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 13:03
Do gun stores have hazmat licenses? I wonder if you could take them to one and ask them to mail them back.

G20gunner
04-28-2010, 13:29

Man, that's a lot of bad primers to get stuck with. Wolf should definitely do something on a purchase that big. I won't be buying any from them. I've never tried them, but after hearing they would stick someone with 20,000 bad primers without trying to make it right, they won't be getting my money.

G20gunner

kubura
04-28-2010, 13:48
Man, it sucks!

BTW, what kind of Wolf primers; SP, LP, SR or LR?

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 14:09

Some are just never going to light. But they improved thier % a good amount by seating them deeper. I would never trust Russian anything. Well, they do make good Vodka I hear.

BTW, I had to reinforce the bottom of my bench so I could torque on my Remmington primers really hard to get them to seat right. That helped a lot and I made it through my 10K crappy primers. Try 100 seated really hard. So hard that it just doesn't seem right to seat them like that.

ept000
04-28-2010, 15:22
Some are just never going to light. But they improved thier % a good amount by seating them deeper. I would never trust Russian anything. Well, they do make good Vodka I hear.

BTW, I had to reinforce the bottom of my bench so I could torque on my Remmington primers really hard to get them to seat right. That helped a lot and I made it through my 10K crappy primers. Try 100 seated really hard. So hard that it just doesn't seem right to seat them like that.

I hear ya C4W, but even if I do smash them in the primer pocket, then what do I do with those rounds? They would only be good for range time. Certainly I couldn't trust them for any of my IDPA stuff. 20,000 rounds of range ammo is a little too much for my taste. Also, I need to replace these primers so I can load IDPA stuff, and all my cash is tied up in defective primers. I don't expect anybody to have an answers, but my fellow reloaders should be aware of what can happen with a company that does not stand behind thier product.

ept000
04-28-2010, 15:22
Man, it sucks!

BTW, what kind of Wolf primers; SP, LP, SR or LR?

Sorry, small pistol.

FM12
04-28-2010, 15:56
Man,that sucks. I have about 3K small pistol, 1K Large Rifle and 1K SGN 209 or so I bought before the big scare. Kinda scared now.

No more though!!

proraptor
04-28-2010, 16:16
wow that sucks.....I wont be giving them any business after hearing this

BK63
04-28-2010, 16:24
I have fired thousands of Wolf LP primers in the last year and a half but I bought them from Wideners. No problems at all. Was getting ready to buy another 5 to 10k of them. Wondering about it now. :dunno: Never bought anything from Wolfs ammunition or whatever that place is but I assume it's all the same stuff?

ron59
04-28-2010, 16:29
I had heard "questionable" things about Wolf back last year when I was looking around for primers. Decided I'd use either CCI or Federal. I haven't had ANY problems with my CCI.

BBJones
04-28-2010, 17:13
I have heard the Wolf silver colored SPP (presumably nickel) are the problem ones and the copper/bronze colored ones are good to go.

Where yours silver?

ept000
04-28-2010, 17:23
There were silver ones mixed in, and I was starting to think the same thing, but I had FTF with both.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4460870045_d76234f4f6.jpg

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 17:29
I hear ya C4W, but even if I do smash them in the primer pocket, then what do I do with those rounds? They would only be good for range time. Certainly I couldn't trust them for any of my IDPA stuff. 20,000 rounds of range ammo is a little too much for my taste. Also, I need to replace these primers so I can load IDPA stuff, and all my cash is tied up in defective primers. I don't expect anybody to have an answers, but my fellow reloaders should be aware of what can happen with a company that does not stand behind thier product.

I personally don't know anyone shooting wolf that are "problamatic" in a match. Not worth the risk.

kshutt
04-28-2010, 18:59
I wouldn't buy 'em before, and sure won't now!!!!!! So sorry you got burned! :steamed::steamed::steamed::steamed:

Rick from Kali
04-28-2010, 19:02
you cleaning the pockets. had simlar experence using the LP. not an issue any more after cleaning the pockets.
Rick

kubura
04-28-2010, 22:29
Sorry, small pistol.

UPS delivered this afternoon 10,000 Wolf primers
(5,000 LP and 5,000 SP); got them from the Powder Valley.

I have my fingers crossed. :sad:

Biggest Dawg
04-28-2010, 23:26
Hi,
Is this a picture of rounds that fired?
Some appear to have slightly cratered primer strikes and other weak and way off center strikes.
Thanks,
BD

I8BAMBI
04-29-2010, 07:43
I have witnessed to many questionable issues with anything Wolf to ever consider buying their products...components or loaded ammunition...

On the other hand, I had an issue with some Winchester primers....I talked to them on the phone a few times trying to find the problem....I finally found that it was an error on my part....Winchester said that they agreed and didn't doubt me (yeah right:whistling:), but they would like to look at them for them selves....they sent me a shipping ticket to send them some of the primers and some of my loads to test them for me....all on their dime...

great company and great customer service....

Colorado4Wheel
04-29-2010, 09:06
Come to think of it thats what Remmington did. Sent me a mailer, prepaid back to them. No cost to me.

gforester
04-29-2010, 09:19
Crap! I just took delivery yesterday of 25K Wolf primers from Powder Valley. I've been using Wolf primers since November and have not had any FTF issues what-so-ever with either the SP or LP primers so far. My other primers I bought from Wideners though.

Are there any batch numbers on the cases of the defective primers you received you could share?

ept000
04-29-2010, 09:36
Lot number is 8-09

XDRoX
04-29-2010, 09:56
FYI, a while back someone posted another bad lot of wolf primers on calguns.
Lot number was 14-09.

Here's the link.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=266648&highlight=wolf
One poster said that he contacted Wolf and they said to send in the empty boxes and they would refund his money. These were from lot number 11-09. Post #15 talks about it.

tlafrance
04-29-2010, 11:12
There were silver ones mixed in, and I was starting to think the same thing, but I had FTF with both.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4460870045_d76234f4f6.jpg

Quite a few of those have off center fp strikes possibly indicating a slight out of battery condition. This could explain the "light" hits and ftf. Check your recoil spring, then the breech face and locking lugs for carbon build up.

Tom

edrobert
04-29-2010, 11:19
I can't imagine 20k primers being bad. I've never heard of any issues with their primers. How did you store them......and I wonder how the place you got them from stored them.

G36_Me
04-29-2010, 20:19
sorry to hear the news; thanks for sharing

gforester
04-30-2010, 05:06
Lot number is 8-09

Mine are 29-09 and 30-09, let's hope they got these right.

kubura
04-30-2010, 07:29
Mine are 29-09 and 30-09, let's hope they got these right.

The same lot numbers here: 29-09 for LR, and 30-09 for SR.

Few weeks ago I got few bricks locally.
2,000 from the incriminated lot number 14-09 for SR :crying:,
and 3,000 from 17-09 for LR. :dunno:

I'll test them in few days, and will report the outcome.

BBJones
04-30-2010, 14:28
Quite a few of those have off center fp strikes possibly indicating a slight out of battery condition. This could explain the "light" hits and ftf. Check your recoil spring, then the breech face and locking lugs for carbon build up.

Tom

+1 to checking all that.

You aren't using lighter striker spring are you? You might want to replace your striker spring even if you are using stock ones. If its in multiple guns, it might be a matter of not seating the primer deep enough.

dbarry
04-30-2010, 19:38
ept000 - yeah, thanks for giving us all the heads up. They wont stand behind their product, there will be a lot of us that wont be buying their product. jerks...

j-glock22
04-30-2010, 19:43
lesson learned, sorry about the bad luck. I tried wolf some time back, well that's it I tried. Been a Winchester man ever since.

Jake Starr
04-30-2010, 19:48
What model of pistol were you shooting with these primers? Striker or hammer?

torrejon224
05-01-2010, 16:30
That sucks, I have gone thru about 20K of wolf's so far without a single issue and hope it stays that way as I have another 15K sitting here.

AlPackin
05-01-2010, 16:46
We won't use Wolf in a match anymore. I only bought them because of the Obama induced shortage, they were all that were available. FTF in a G34 and a S&W 19-3 all during IDPA shoots. Still have 2k SP and 5k LP. They suck.

BillR
05-01-2010, 16:50
I just got rid of 3K "defective" Wolf SPPs. I was also having about 10% failure rate. The lot number I had was 22-09. Wolf gave me the same crap about sending them back, when they knew that wasn't possible.:steamed: I ended up selling them to a guy that shoots revolvers. Wolf said they should work fine through those.:upeyes:
No more Wolf primers for me!

BillR
05-01-2010, 17:05
wow that sucks.....I wont be giving them any business after hearing this
Alot of us are ticked, but look at it from THEIR side....
They WERE refunding money for simply sending back the boxes, because they knew that very few people had the certification to send the primers back. The guy at Wolf told me that they "suspected" that more than a few people were using the primers and sending the boxes back for refunds after they read about the issues on various websites. They ARE aware of the problem with the SPPs, but they really don't have a way to get the primers back to inspect them and find out what the issue is. It's a tough spot for them and the buyers.:dunno:
They finally offered a refund to me if I took the primers to a gun store and dropped them off. The problem was the dealer they used was a 2 hour drive from me. Since I only had 3K primers and they were not going to refund the haz-mat or shipping anyway, it would've cost me $50 in gas to get $80 back from them. I sold them locally for almost the same price I paid for them AFTER I explained to the buyer the problems I had and the comments Wolf made.
Wolf's in a tough spot. Their previous primers were pretty solid performers, but they DO have a bad batch out there right now...
20K?? That sucks!:faint:

BBJones
05-02-2010, 16:26
Just broke into the 10k I have yesterday. Between me and my friend 1k went through 3 glocks and nothing but booms. I made sure they were all seeted as deep as possible. Bought 10k more today at a gunshow for $216 plus tax.

XDRoX
05-15-2010, 11:11
I just got rid of 3K "defective" Wolf SPPs. I was also having about 10% failure rate. The lot number I had was 22-09. Wolf gave me the same crap about sending them back, when they knew that wasn't possible.:steamed: I ended up selling them to a guy that shoots revolvers. Wolf said they should work fine through those.:upeyes:

I also have 6K Wolf SPP's from lot 22-09.
Yesterday I tested some out. I shot over 200 without issue from different guns and calibers.
Are you guys that are having problems positive that you are seating them all the way?
IMO wolf primers are junk and I will not be buying them again for the following reasons. They are very difficult to seat in my 550B. Many of them are too wide, and snag on the way into the case. So I have to go a little slow upon entry. And then I really have to push hard to get them in all the way. With CCI's I don't have any of these problems.

But every one that I loaded did work.

robin303
05-15-2010, 14:56
A friend of mine gave me a few hundred Wolf primers and as a joke I loaded up a bunch of my brass and they went in real easy on my Lee single stage. I have not fired one off yet.

netmage2112
05-24-2010, 19:19

Could you explain why....? I just emailed wolf about my 5K of SP form Lot 22-09...... If there is indeed an argument, I might be able to offload to a buddy who shoots 38spc, or another who I was planning on reloading for....