anyone load for a smith 52 master? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anyone load for a smith 52 master?

garander
04-28-2010, 10:11
haven't touched my smith model 52 in many years and just got the itch to shoot it. loaded a few rounds and tried them in the basement and had some feeding problems. i found i did not have the wascutters seated fully flush in the case there was about 1/16th inch exposed. i also noticed my slide seemed really sluggish so i stripped the gun and cleaned the gunk off the rails and put a couple drops of clp on them. wow what a difference! the slide gained a lot of velocity. no malfunctions now. time to hit the range!

GioaJack
04-28-2010, 10:33
I've only made four mistakes in my life... three of them were corrected in divorce court... the fourth was trading off my model 52.

One of the sweetest shooting most accurate guns I've ever owned. Of course I was young enough then that I really didn't mind bending over to pick up 'revolver' brass. If I still had it I'd only shoot it if I had my grandson with me or my handy little brass wizard. :supergrin:

As you already know, seating depth is pretty critical for proper functioning. Not that it's hard to load or anything like that it's just that you have to find that magic little sweet spot and then you're good to go.

I loaded a Lyman mould 148 grain WC over Bullseye, somewhere around 3 grains or so IIRC... it's been a lot of years ago.

Enjoy shooting yours but keep a close eye on it at the range... there's gonna be a lot of jealous people out there.

I'm envious too. :whistling:

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 10:56
This guy gets to shoot in his basement with a Model 52. Thats kinda cool.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 11:34
This guy gets to shoot in his basement with a Model 52. Thats kinda cool.

What's a basement:dunno:

degoodman
04-28-2010, 13:05
What's a basement:dunno:

Since you're in California, that would be a pre-dug hole under your house for the big one to shake all your stuff into.

In the Southwest, that would be rattlesnake and black widow habitat.

In the midwest, that's where you go to hide from a tornado if you live less than 250 yards from a trailer park, and the storm clouds are brewing.

In the east, that's the hole under your house where you collet mold and mildew on stuff you cared too much about to throw away, but not enough about to worry about it being ruined by mold and mildew.

Clear?

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 13:07
Since you're in California, that would be a pre-dug hole under your house for the big one to shake all your stuff into.

In the Southwest, that would be rattlesnake and black widow habitat.

In the midwest, that's where you go to hide from a tornado if you live less than 250 yards from a trailer park, and the storm clouds are brewing.

In the east, that's the hole under your house where you collet mold and mildew on stuff you cared too much about to throw away, but not enough about to worry about it being ruined by mold and mildew.

Clear?

:rofl:

garander
04-28-2010, 17:22
or get drunk and shoot pool and shoot guns!

nbkky71
04-29-2010, 07:23
Yes, the S&W 52's can be very finicky when they get dirty. I've only run into such an issue once and learned my lesson as did you.

I'm using a Zero 148gr HBWC over 3.2gr WIN231. Most of the load data I read about was closer to 3 grains, but I found the 3.2 worked best on mine.

Yup, those bullets need to be seated FLUSH with the case mouth or they'll hang up for sure. On my ammo, I add a very slight taper crimp using a Lee die.

Great guns for sure. Mine is never leaving the stable.

garander
04-29-2010, 07:39
nbkky71: i have about the same experiance as you. i started out with 3 grains of bullseye but about 3.2 worked better. same with titegroup. 3.2 grains worked a bit better than 3. i also give it the slight taper crimp.

nice to see people are still shooting this pistol

GOA Guy
05-01-2010, 17:16
I also found in my experience handloading for the M52 that slightly warmer loads were more accurate than the classic revolver loads. 148 HBWCs 2.9 or 3.0 Bullseye, 2.8 700X, 3.3 W231 etc.

KB2MBC
05-01-2010, 17:22
I use a Hornady 148gr. HBWC with 2.7 grains of Bullseye.
Bullet is flush to case mouth, maybe slightly, slightly below the mouth.
I finish up with a taper crimp. There are some that use a slight roll, but not I.

I still compete with my 52-2, the above load works fine for slow fire @ 50 yds.

garander
05-03-2010, 12:18
hey kb2mbc: you said you compete at 50 yards with your smith 52

well i got to the 50 yard range today with mine. shot about 40 shots
best groups standing slow fire at 50 yards were seven and six inches.
is that any good? i shot a group off the bench with the pistol rested
and got a three incher. five shot groups by the way. man it's tough standing!

KB2MBC
05-04-2010, 13:26
http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/ad207/kb2mbc/targetdim.jpg

I'd say they were all in the 8-ring or better, pretty good by me!