I need a new 9mm sizing die any recommendations? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a new 9mm sizing die any recommendations?

proraptor
04-28-2010, 16:19
My 9mm resizing die that I picked up used seems to be all scratched up inside and it scratches cases. Anyone recommend a new one?

Most of my dies are RCBS or Hornady

ron59
04-28-2010, 16:29
I replaced my Dillon with a Lee. Does a great job and only $20 (or so).

dudel
04-28-2010, 17:16
My 9mm resizing die that I picked up used seems to be all scratched up inside and it scratches cases. Anyone recommend a new one?

Most of my dies are RCBS or Hornady

If it's a steel one, then by all means replace it. If it's carbide, it needs cleaning. It's very hard to scratch carbide. It's very easy to get it dirty so that when you size it scratches the brass.

I use a bore brush with a patch dipped in Hoppes. Amazing how dirty the sizng die gets even if you clean the brass.

If your really do need to replace the dies, I can't think of a bad brand out there at the moment. Lee, RCBS, Hornady, Redding, Lyman, all will do the job. Some features make might make them better suited to you. Dillon has a great trick for cleaning the dies. Lee decapper can be used as a stuck case remover plus to get a free shellholder. Hornady zip spindle keeps you from breaking decapping pins (can also be used to get a stuck case out). Redding has a nicely adjustable seating die. They all have their features. I tend to run Hornady, RCBS and Lee myself.

proraptor
04-28-2010, 17:31
Its either a hornady or RCBS die. Not sure if its carbide Ill have to check it out when I get home tonight. Ill try your cleaning method. Thanks

unclebob
04-28-2010, 17:40
For 9mm I use both Dillon and Lee sizer dies. If you are going too shot lead bullets get the Dillon. Lee dies some times you may get a bad one. Their quality control at times is less than desirable. At least that is what I have found.
If you use carbide dies for 9mm using the Lee decapping pin as a stuck case remover is a non-issue.
RCBS dies seam like a bend the decapping pins more than any other die.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 17:50
Lee for cheap. Hornady is actually very similiar.

proraptor
04-28-2010, 17:52
I want carbide for sure.....But Ill try that cleaning trick tonight to see if it stops the die from scratching the cases. Thanks guys

sjones
04-28-2010, 18:07
Lee for sure,best one around for the money.

unclebob
04-28-2010, 18:35
Lee for sure,best one around for the money.

Not if they do not size right. I know I have one.

Ahmid
04-28-2010, 18:41
I have been reloading for fifty years. Have numerous brands of dies.
For the money you cannot beat a Lee. Second would be RCBS. I have spent as much as a hundred bucks + or - a few bucks, they were not as good as my Lee's.
If you get a defective Lee die they will replace it, no questions asked.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 18:56
I really don't see the point of expensive sizing dies. A couple people swear you need the bevel in the Dillon. I'm happier with out it. Maybe on a 650 with a casefeeder I would feel different.

srd
04-28-2010, 18:57
Try a Redding die...you will like the results. I needed dies for my 9mm when my exwife took mine in the divorce. Midway was out at the time so i ordered Redding instead. NOT a disappointment at all.

dudel
04-28-2010, 19:24
Try a Redding die...you will like the results. I needed dies for my 9mm when my exwife took mine in the divorce. Midway was out at the time so i ordered Redding instead. NOT a disappointment at all.

Redding makes a fine die, no doubt. I'm not sure it's really a great value though. The Redding seating die is tops; their sizing and expanding dies run with the pack.

Lee is a great value if you get a good one. Most are; but as someone said, they will replace it if it's not; but what's the price of a little aggravation?

Hornady is what I have the most of. Then it's tossup of Lee and RCBS. All work just fine. I've tried Redding; but could not bring myself to spring for the bucks.

unclebob
04-28-2010, 19:29
I really don't see the point of expensive sizing dies. A couple people swear you need the bevel in the Dillon. I'm happier with out it. Maybe on a 650 with a casefeeder I would feel different.

Lee dies work just fine on a 650 with case feeder.

Colorado4Wheel
04-28-2010, 19:52
Lee dies work just fine on a 650 with case feeder.

Some people complain about them. I don't see the reason for concern.

kcbrown
04-28-2010, 19:59

It all depends on what your real needs are.

I prefer the Dillon over the Lee because of the spring-loaded decapper and the fact that it appears to require less force to size a case with the Dillon than with the Lee.

ETA: On the 650, I also prefer the Dillon because I don't need to put the locking ring on the bottom in order to secure the die. A minor thing, to be sure...

Your preferences may vary, of course.

Hydraulicman
04-28-2010, 20:00
my lee 9mm dies have worked flawlessly

sjones
04-28-2010, 20:05
The cases will resize real easy if you just give them a quick shot of one shot case spray.You'd be surprised how easy they get then.

LoadedTech
04-28-2010, 20:30
Only experienced with Lee dye's, and they have worked great. I blame the FTF's on the mags I was using at the time. Have that fixed, so far. Even picked up a Lee FCD (Damn you C4W) for my .40 loadmaster"s 5th spot. Will respond in appropriate thread for that. They are great for the $, IMO!

proraptor
04-29-2010, 16:00
Well I cleaned the die last night and its still hard on the cases...It scratches them pretty bad.

Ive used Lee dies in the past with no problems but I dont have time or patience to wait if I get a bad one. I have no problem spending an extra $5 for a dillon die if I know for sure Im going to get it and its going to work. I have to place an order with dillon anyways for some stuff for my 550

Thanks guys I appreciate it

Colorado4Wheel
04-29-2010, 16:12
Ive used Lee dies in the past with no problems but I dont have time or patience to wait if I get a bad one.

You more then likely won't get a bad one. I never have. Other then the internet, I have never known anyone to get a bad lee sizer.

GLShooter
04-29-2010, 19:10
I prefer Hornady pistol sizer dies. Send that bad die back to the manufacturer and I'll bet they will polish it out for free.

Greg