So I picked up Magpul dynamics handgun... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So I picked up Magpul dynamics handgun...

skippz
04-28-2010, 19:15
They say they focus more on weapon manipulation than tactics, which is fine, but if I pay $50 (not including shipping) for a video I want it all! I'm also pretty sure these guys have some sort of deal w/ smith & wesson & surefire lights. They use them all throughout the video. I just wonder what company they use in the tactical carbine vids. I'm not bashing them I think they have a good video here but fifty bucks... c'mon...

Gallium
04-28-2010, 19:35
If you perused the videos in a detailed manner, these issues you raise are mostly answered there.

Bad student. No donut.

:)

'Drew

757CC
04-28-2010, 20:03
I was very happy with the Magpul handgun and tactical carbine vol I and II dvd's. I've let friends borrow them mil/leo and they all enjoyed them as well. Doesn't substitute actual live training but still enjoyable and worth the price. I've seen training dvd's that were absolutley terrible!

W4CNG
04-28-2010, 20:47
They are shooting Sigs with threaded barrels and in the 4th Video they will tell you why. You will also see the fully optioned Sigs in the other 3 video's. I have the set of 4 DVD's, watched them, and have a ton of notes on what I learned. I also have taken classes in CRG and others. This series of Magpul video's are some of the best I have seen to date.

skippz
04-28-2010, 21:49
They are shooting Sigs with threaded barrels and in the 4th Video they will tell you why. You will also see the fully optioned Sigs in the other 3 video's. I have the set of 4 DVD's, watched them, and have a ton of notes on what I learned. I also have taken classes in CRG and others. This series of Magpul video's are some of the best I have seen to date.

They're using modded s&w m&p's in the vid I got.

skippz
04-28-2010, 21:51
If you perused the videos in a detailed manner, these issues you raise are mostly answered there.

Bad student. No donut.

:)

'Drew

hmm... nah... don't think so, they plainly state that they are teaching "weapon manipulation"... "not tactics"...

skippz
04-28-2010, 21:59
Sorry if I sounded offensive or "defensive" thats not what I want, I would just like to point out that the "handgun" portion left me wanting more...

churched
04-28-2010, 23:32
Check the bloopers section. They go into great detail to make fun of the fact that they are using Surefire ears and I believe they touch on the fact that they are running M&P's. I mean there is a S&W and Surefire rep taking the course... So take that for what its worth. Also, they talk about why they focus more on manipulation rather than tactics. Which I concur with. Mastering the basics is essential. Each situation is unique in its own right. And when you have a student base ranging from active duty military and law enforcement to a girl that cannot even buy her own pistol its kind of hard to cover tactics.

BBJones
05-04-2010, 16:17

There are using M&P's and not Sigs. In fact they do not generally recommend DA/SA platforms. They like customized 1911's and striker guns. They use to use glocks alot and they show their glocks in the section talking about full size pistols (with home done stipple jobs, extended threaded barrels, etc..). I think they do have partnerships with S&W or at least they get all free equipment. Look up discussions on other boards and you will see all kinds of discussions of what equipment they use and why. They will not out and out bad talk any weapon but will tell you what they like about the gear they use.

One of the most interesting pieces of gear they are using is the Raven Concealment holsters and mag pouches. I have tried them and they are the best I have used.

BBJones
05-04-2010, 16:29
hmm... nah... don't think so, they plainly state that they are teaching "weapon manipulation"... "not tactics"...

What they are teaching you is how to adapt to your situation and not "what to do if ..."

What tactics were you looking for? They give nothing but solid information about how to better handle a pistol in stressful situations. There is more to it than just weapon manipulation.

Sounds like you watched the first half hour than skipped your way through the disk.

Gallium
05-04-2010, 16:33
What they are teaching you is how to adapt to your situation and not "what to do if ..."

What tactics were you looking for? They give nothing but solid information about how to better handle a pistol in stressful situations. There is more to it than just weapon manipulation.

Sounds like you watched the first half hour than skipped your way through the disk.

I think the 1st person who responded to his initial post hit the bullet on the 10x bullseyenailonthehead.

:cool:

Gallium
05-04-2010, 16:43

Someone else agrees with me that you probably have a short attention span. (Sorry! :embarassed: ) They do not "plainly state" that they are teaching weapon manipulation versus tactics. In fact, at the end of the "lessons", each of the students (or groups of two) are placed in roles where decisions based on the unfolding scenarios force them to make ("tactical") decisions on how to address the threats, and to utilize techniques (tactics) learned in the course to overcome that created adversity.

'Drew

l8apex
05-04-2010, 23:22
This is a great fundamental video and I would recommend to novices and professionals. I've been shooting for quite sometime both duty and recreation and I still find new things when I watch this video. Travis and Chris are professionals when it comes to instruction, if you are wanting more I suggest going to a high speed low drag school near you. It will be worth more than the price of a new blaster.

skippz
05-04-2010, 23:43
Someone else agrees with me that you probably have a short attention span. (Sorry! :embarassed: ) They do not "plainly state" that they are teaching weapon manipulation versus tactics. In fact, at the end of the "lessons", each of the students (or groups of two) are placed in roles where decisions based on the unfolding scenarios force them to make ("tactical") decisions on how to address the threats, and to utilize techniques (tactics) learned in the course to overcome that created adversity.

'Drew

Yes I can see that someone is agreeing w/ you, and I never condemned these vids... alls I'm saying is that since I cannot afford to go to a school right now I wanted more out of the $50 I spent. Do I think what they taught was spot on and informative? YES... Would I like to see a portion of the vid w/ only the 2 instructors running some tactics w/o the students, sure I think it would have been a great supplement. Will I buy the carbine versions... yes probably will once I can afford it. My attention span is fine btw.

NEOH212
05-07-2010, 01:49
I think the 1st person who responded to his initial post hit the bullet on the 10x bullseyenailonthehead.

:cool:

+1! I agree. :wavey:

I'm on the second disk and must say that so far, the course is full of a wealth of knowledge and I will definitely be watching them several times to retouch on the finer points. They really have a heck of a course! I highly recommend to anyone regardless of their skill level.