Glock 19 reloading [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 reloading

GlennP
04-28-2010, 21:04
Anyone reload for the glock 19? Whats your brass life? Dont want a kB...
Any cool tricks to keep track of firings, and when do you dump the brass?

I'm going to use a stock barrel and montana gold FMJ's, actually looking at the 121grn IFP, anyone use this bullet? I like the flat point. Since im in NJ I dont want HPs, they are legal but most cops will arrest you anyways....dont get me started...:crying:
https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montana.../pricelist.tpl (https://secure3.mooseweb.com/montana.../pricelist.tpl)
Any other montana golds that I should consider for accuracy instead of this?

I already reload for a bunch of other toys but the glock is a new beast to reload for with the rifling, kaboom theorys, etc.

thanks

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 21:14
I load for my 19. I don't see any differences in the brass than my other 9's. I don't think you'll have a problem.

GlennP
04-28-2010, 21:16
Do you load em till they split, or do you discard after a predertermined amount?

MarcusT
04-28-2010, 21:34
There will probably be quite a bit less load data available for a 121gr than there is for 115 124 and 147.

XDRoX
04-28-2010, 21:41
Do you load em till they split, or do you discard after a predertermined amount?

I load them til they split which hasn't happened yet. I haven't been reloading long, but I've received free brass from people that has probably been reloaded over 20 times. Some of it you can hardly see the head stamp. I just keep loading it.

skyugo
04-28-2010, 22:25
i load til they split.
in 3500 reloads i've seen one case split when i seated the bullet so far.
9mm brass lasts a looong time.

i've found it to be a very easy gun to load for. cycles mostly anything. super light stuff might huck brass back at your face instead of off to the side. i tend to load around the middle of the data.

i've also had pretty good luck with "precision bullets" coated lead bullets. they are dirtier and smokier, but i don't seem to get any real buildup. i've done 250 in a session with no cleaning. i usually bring the bore snake and run it through every 100 rounds or so though just to be safe.

i have not tried hardcast lead in the glock barrel. some people say it works. you can get plated and FMJ's cheap enough where even messing around with the coated bullets probably isn't worth it. precision is nice and quick with shipping, and has low prices though.

really not a hard caliber to load. DO watch your OAL. that's what will blow up a 9mm. too short=BAD.

BBJones
04-28-2010, 22:57
If you don't want KB's don't double charge, make squibs then fire down a plugged barrel etc. Would be the same for any gun. There is nothing really unique about loading for a G19 than another 9mm pistol. The only difference I can think to note is that you should be careful with lead (probably a bad idea, but some do it without incident) and plated bullets (don't laod them hot and check for leading) in a stock polygonal barrel.

srd
04-29-2010, 05:50
If you are playing with plated try Precision delta. Nice bullets and usually ship in 2 to 3 weeks plus a lot cheaper than MG. As far as 121's i would stay away from them as stated due to limited info but seeing how you already reload that probobly isnt a factor. BBI is another interesting one to try. I havent goten a build up yet from them in 3 different calibers. Have fun !!

Hydraulicman
04-29-2010, 15:03
my glock 19 has seen thousands of reloads. 115 grain FMJ's

I might try some heavier bullets. but the 115's work fine

GOA Guy
04-29-2010, 17:49
There will probably be quite a bit less load data available for a 121gr than there is for 115 124 and 147.

The difference between the 124 and 121 weights is pretty much meaningless as far as data is concerned. The difference in bearing surface, bullet construction, and as loaded case capacity play far more of a role than 3 grains of bullet weight.

skyugo
04-30-2010, 21:57
my glock 19 has seen thousands of reloads. 115 grain FMJ's

I might try some heavier bullets. but the 115's work fine

i find the recoil of the 124 grain bullets is a bit more pleasant if that makes sense? i'd have to mess around with a shot timer and stuff to see if there's any real advantage to followup shots, but my perception is that they're smoother shooting and more accurate. ymmv

ignantmike
05-01-2010, 06:07
i havent been reloading for long, but i havent had an issue with brass yet....i also like 124gr......:wavey:

HAMMERHEAD
05-01-2010, 07:26
I have one cool trick to extend the life of my brass. I don't flare/expand the case mouths or crimp after seating the bullets. I use just two dies, sizer and seater (Redding competition seater).
I started doing it to prevent bullet setback. The less you work the case mouths, the longer the brass will last.
I've been loading .38 Super longer than 9mm, but I've been using the same 600-800 pieces of Super brass for the past four years.
Rainier plated bullets work great for me. Very accurate out to 50 yards.

shotgunred
05-01-2010, 08:42
the odds are you are going to lose the brass first. As long as you are not trying to break world speed records with your rounds you will be fine.

Also everyone knows the only gun that KB's is the glock 40 cal.:faint:

robin303
05-01-2010, 08:55
My guess I reloaded maybe 7+ times without an issue so far. When I first started to reload I would mark the brass with a sharpie and I was at the range one day an a ol' timer looked at my brass and said "What do you do that for" and I told him I reload and he gave me a funny look and said "Just use them untill they split". One used Sharpie for sale.:rofl:

fredj338
05-01-2010, 12:30
You just use 124gr data, works fine. You can always use heavier bullet data for lighter bullets, always.
WSF works great for full power loads in any bullet wt. for the 9mm. For lighter loads, WST is tough to beat IMO. Brass life, until I lose it, unless you are loading 9mm major.
I don't flare/expand the case mouths or crimp after seating the bullets. I use just two dies, sizer and seater
This works fine as long as you shoot jacketed bullets. Not flaring w/ lead or plated can seriously ruin accuracy. It only takes a small nick in the base to skew that bullet at distance beyond 7yds.
If you are playing with plated try Precision delta. Nice bullets and usually ship in 2 to 3 weeks plus a lot cheaper than MG. As far as 121's i would stay away from them as stated due to limited info but seeing how you already reload that probobly isnt a factor.
SOrry, but PD are NOT plated, they are copper jacketed. As to the bullet wt issue, again, sorry, but the 3gr diff means nothing. SOme lead bullets can vary that much between bullets. Read the earlier respnse about heavier bullet data. Facts are a tough thing to deal with.

HAMMERHEAD
05-01-2010, 16:49
Quote:
I don't flare/expand the case mouths or crimp after seating the bullets. I use just two dies, sizer and seater
This works fine as long as you shoot jacketed bullets. Not flaring w/ lead or plated can seriously ruin accuracy. It only takes a small nick in the base to skew that bullet at distance beyond 7yds.
I use this procedure for jacketed and plated bullets in 9mm and .38 Super. I use Rainier plated bullets with thicker plating than others and have had no troubles. They also have a good rounded base for self starting.
Accuracy is excellent.
I was not expecting great things from plated bullets. I bought them because they were the only thing available during the shortage. The more I use them, the more impressed I am. My 50 yard groups are much better than I expected.

Hydraulicman
05-01-2010, 19:19
I would suggest you seat the bullet out more than the minimum lenght listed in the manual. I'm not sure about your GLOCK but I can seat the bullet out past 1.169 (i think that's sammi max) and it still fits fine in the barrel. No need to load them really short

115 FMJ 1.135 is what i use. JMHO