Berry's don't shoot berry well in my pistol [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Berry's don't shoot berry well in my pistol

Neuchatel
04-29-2010, 11:38
I bought 1000 rds of 185gr SWC's and I cant get them to function in my 1911. These are the copper plated variety.

My lead 200gr SWC's function well after tuning but we can't get these copper plated rascals to feed.

After I rack the slide and the thing jams, I pull the round and find that the bullet has reset in the case about one sixteenth of an inch.

These bullets are really slippery. Also, they are much shorter than the lead
SWC's.

Anyone else having this problem?

MI-IDPA
04-29-2010, 11:43
I had the same probelm with these myself. I couldn't get them to chamber or feed in my SA 1911 or my Springfield XD in 45ACP. I ended up giving them to a friend to shoot. It really surprised me that I had the issues with these because Berrys are my all time favorite bullet to shoot in all of my other guns.

Neuchatel
04-29-2010, 11:58
Wow! It's not just lil-o-me then. Guess I'll just have to give them away.

fredj338
04-29-2010, 12:34
They won't run in an XD, but w/ a good taper crimp, tweek the OAL, they should feed in most 1911s. The 200grFP is a better bet IMO, works in everything w/ little adjustment. If you want a 185gr choice form Berry's the 185grRNHB works fine too.

MrVvrroomm
04-29-2010, 13:29
If you want a 18gr choice form Berry's the 185grRNHB works fine too.
Yup, these work fine in all my .45's...1911, XD, and Glocks

Neuchatel
04-29-2010, 14:27
fredj338: Please forgive me as I am a rank beginner at reloading. Please explain, "Tweek the OAL."

HAMMERHEAD
04-29-2010, 15:48
I load my plated SWC's without flaring the cases. I just touch the case mouth with the expander portion of the expander/flare die to help iron out any dings. Then I hold the bullet on top of the case as it enters the seater die and let the bullet expand the case as it seats. This gives better tension on the bullet. Occasionally a case ding will 'skin' the plating, but bullet set back is eliminated. I do not crimp.

Another thing is some SWC's have a different distance from nose to shoulder, so you have to go by the amount of shoulder sticking out of the case to get good feeding. Try to copy your lead load's amount of shoulder sticking out instead of the overall length.

GOA Guy
04-29-2010, 15:59
fredj338: Please forgive me as I am a rank beginner at reloading. Please explain, "Tweek the OAL."

"Tweek" as in adjustment. In this case vary the OAL until the cartridge feeds and chambers properly.

I should have also said that OAL means over all length. You may also see COAL or LOA. Cartridge over all length or lenghth over all.

Neuchatel
04-29-2010, 16:13
Yep, we varied the OAL as much as we dared....still wouldn't feed the rascals.

I'm wondering if I buff the base of the bullet with emery cloth that might work. The copper is very slippery.

Colorado4Wheel
04-29-2010, 16:37

I'm wondering if I buff the base of the bullet with emery cloth that might work. The copper is very slippery.

Your sizer is probably not sizing small enough. Size a case, measure the inside of the case. Compare to the size of the bullet.

Lothar
04-29-2010, 16:48
Your sizer is probably not sizing small enough. Size a case, measure the inside of the case. Compare to the size of the bullet.

This is good advice. Good luck, and i'll PM you my address if things don't work out! :wavey:

dudel
04-29-2010, 17:29
Had a similar problem. Changed from Colt mags to McCormick mags and the same batch of reloads fed great. Check the feed lip angles.

GOA Guy
04-29-2010, 17:37

Your expander may be too large. It should measure about .447. If it is much larger than that the case won't grip any bullet worth a hoot.

fredj338
04-29-2010, 17:45
Your expander may be too large. It should measure about .447. If it is much larger than that the case won't grip any bullet worth a hoot.
Measure the dia of the bullets. If they are 0.451", some brass cases are slightly thinner & you'll lose neck tension (RP brass comes to mind). Sometimes Berry's will come in slightly undersiazed, they should be 0.452". Yes, that 0.001" can matter.

Colorado4Wheel
04-29-2010, 18:08

I was thinking the same thing but decided not to post that as it's complicates the issue. BUT, if you use a Dillon Powder measure you have to be aware of the expander. Don't set the flare to deep as that increases the depth of the expander as well. Expander should not be expanding below the point of bullet insertion anyway. But if you flare too much, set your OAL long you can run into that as a issue as well. Especially, if like you say it's big already.

G36_Me
04-29-2010, 20:03
Do a google image search on 185 gr SWC and you find pictures of different shapes for the bullet. Some of my guns shoot some of the shapes, others don't. I don't fight it, if a particular bullet doesn't like a particular gun, I move on. (not really, I come to this forum to make sure I'm not doing something stupid, then I move on).

Good luck, and if you want to sell you 185gr, I might buy them. Are they the #130 style (meaning a snub nose) or the longer style? pm me if you want.

Neuchatel
04-30-2010, 08:18
I am very grateful for the help guys. I'll give these pink little rascals another go.