Ubuntu 10.04 released... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.04 released...

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2010, 14:48
Servers are really bogged down right now... The final was just put on the servers about 4hrs ago. Use the torrents to download the ISO's... They're going pretty strong at the moment.

Installing software, etc.. is going to be VERY slow after you get installed, as I said, the servers are getting hammered. If that bothers you, hold off 3-4 days, and things should settle down to normal.

Enjoy.. :)

IGF

Slug71
04-29-2010, 18:17
Now the wait for Maverick Meerkat begins. :supergrin:

Toolchain should be up in a week or so.

Furant
04-29-2010, 18:19
Sweet. Time to try out Mythbuntu Lucid Lynx.

TBO
04-29-2010, 19:37
Thanks for the heads up and advice. :wavey:

GenX
04-29-2010, 19:44
Started with the beta 2 and kept up with updates. 22 seconds to boot and about 4 to 5 seconds to shut down. The only bugs that haven't been corrected by me, are sometimes when shutting down, machine will go to a login screen. Wont restart or shutdown unless I press and hold the power button. The other is an error probing SMB2, but with the boot and shut down times cant complain. I like it so far.

aircarver
04-29-2010, 20:19
I've been running the beta since the heads-up it was out.

It's worked great !

It's had a jillion updates, so I probably won't change it out for the released version....:supergrin:

zackwatt
04-29-2010, 21:01
I updated today, and I love it so far...

There is a definite performance improvement!

shnifty
04-29-2010, 21:37
I haven't used ubuntu for about a year. I made the mistake of updating versions and it broke my video ATI video drivers horribly and I lost motivation :(

Eventually I'll get a new Ubuntu machine up and running.

SIGSAREBETTER
04-29-2010, 22:13
And I just got Karmic Koala going strong.......oh well I'm a sucker for the new stuff.

IndyGunFreak
04-29-2010, 23:06
Started with the beta 2 and kept up with updates. 22 seconds to boot and about 4 to 5 seconds to shut down. The only bugs that haven't been corrected by me, are sometimes when shutting down, machine will go to a login screen. Wont restart or shutdown unless I press and hold the power button. The other is an error probing SMB2, but with the boot and shut down times cant complain. I like it so far.

That problem, seems specific to a couple of chipsets. I know there's a bug report on it, but honestly, I've not experienced it on any of my machines. I know there's some people, it happens all the time.

What error w/ SMB2?... Never really used it, but I've not saw much mentioned about it.

aircarver -- If you've been keeping your machine up to date, you should be current, and there's no need to reinstall... run sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade . If those install any kernel upgrades, when its done, run sudo update-grub and let it do its thing.

Once that is done, you should be up to date and with the current version.

IGF

Linux3
04-30-2010, 06:07
aircarver -- If you've been keeping your machine up to date, you should be current, and there's no need to reinstall... run sudo apt-get upgrade and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade . If those install any kernel upgrades, when its done, run sudo update-grub and let it do its thing.
IGF
Reboot then run:
sudo apt-get autoremove
Look for packages that are installed as dependency of an already uninstalled package and removes them.

sudo apt-get autoclean
removes all stored archives in your cache for packages that can not be downloaded anymore (thus packages that are no longer in the repo or that have a newer version in the repo).

The Habit
04-30-2010, 10:19
Upgraded to 10.04 from 9.10 this morning and set up my Ubuntu One account. I haven't benchmarked the startup times but all is well so far. Now I just have to upgrade my wife's laptop and all three of my kids' laptops.

We've been a Linux family for quite awhile now; I became very weary of constantly removing malware from the family's laptops. Now, if someone could perfect iTunes running under Wine my kids wouldn't ever have to boot into Windows again.

Linux3
04-30-2010, 12:02
Just finished upgrading my main desktop. Still have to do my wife's system and 2 laotops.
My server stays at CentOS. If it aint broke....

IndyGunFreak
04-30-2010, 12:19
Upgraded to 10.04 from 9.10 this morning and set up my Ubuntu One account. I haven't benchmarked the startup times but all is well so far. Now I just have to upgrade my wife's laptop and all three of my kids' laptops.

We've been a Linux family for quite awhile now; I became very weary of constantly removing malware from the family's laptops. Now, if someone could perfect iTunes running under Wine my kids wouldn't ever have to boot into Windows again.

You could probably find a way to get around that, if they are only using it to sync Ipods. Vbox is an awesome and powerful thing. All I use it for is syncing Zunes and Ipods..

IGF

aircarver
04-30-2010, 13:45
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak
IGF

Had installed everything suggested by the k-package manager.
First one, nothing necessary.
Second, one package (Kopete) replaced.
No kernal upgrades, not run.

Reboot then run:
sudo apt-get autoremove
Look for packages that are installed as dependency of an already uninstalled package and removes them.

Four kernal headers removed.

sudo apt-get autoclean
removes all stored archives in your cache for packages that can not be downloaded anymore (thus packages that are no longer in the repo or that have a newer version in the repo).
About two pages of 'junk' tossed.

Thank You Gentlemen :thumbsup:

:supergrin:

TBO
05-01-2010, 07:20
Netbook booted up by CD, looks good. Web browsing seems snappier than what I remember from 9.10.

Looks like I need to make time to partition install this on my Netbook. :thumbsup:

Slug71
05-01-2010, 07:42

You could try Banshee instead of Rhythmbox for syncing. Ive heard it does a pretty good job. I think Banshee might be default from 10.10 too.

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 08:46
You could try Banshee instead of Rhythmbox for syncing. Ive heard it does a pretty good job. I think Banshee might be default from 10.10 too.

Depends on the iPod really. Some iPods, work really well under Linux(mostly older ones). Others, don't work so well(Touch, Classic, etc.).

It can be overcome quite easily. My Nano that I use at the Gym took a dump on me, and I got a great deal on a refurbished 8gig Zune. I love my 80gig Zune, but there is no hope on either of these ever working w/ Linux for the forseeable future. Running XP as a virtual OS solved this perfectly, and works equally well w/ the iPods in my experience.

ki4dmh
05-01-2010, 09:54
I Love Ubuntu but could never get it to work wireless on my laptop. So I had to revert back to the Vista crap.

SIGSAREBETTER
05-01-2010, 12:25
2nd day with it installed.......installing Hulu and Flash was a little harder than 9.04 but so far so good.

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 12:37
I Love Ubuntu but could never get it to work wireless on my laptop. So I had to revert back to the Vista crap.

What was the last version you tried?

With the exception of some of the Ralink wireless devices, most of them work almost out of the box.

IGF

SIGSAREBETTER
05-01-2010, 16:02
Mine did........64 bit version on an HP laptop.

Glockifieds
05-01-2010, 16:10
I've never liked the debian-ish distros - Back in the day I would pop back and forth (between redhat/slack/debian..) but finally landed on redhat which then went to fedora after that.

I'm just happy to see so many linux users on a gun forum though and had to comment

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 16:46
I've never liked the debian-ish distros - Back in the day I would pop back and forth (between redhat/slack/debian..) but finally landed on redhat which then went to fedora after that.

I'm just happy to see so many linux users on a gun forum though and had to comment

I tell people all the time, if I didn't use Debian/Ubuntu (i use both), I'd be using Fedora. :)

Nothing wrong at all with it, I just prefer Debian distros over RH.

IGF

g29andy
05-01-2010, 17:01
*sigh* still doesn't support wpa2 encryption with the Broadcom wifi chip in my Dell Vostro 1500, still keeps asking for wpa2 password repeatedly. At least I could use wicd in 9.10, but this doesn't seem to work in 10.04 (get bad password message, and I've typed it several times)

On a 5 year old Dell Latitude X1, 10.04 is honky dory, yay!

Boots fast on both laptops.

IndyGunFreak
05-01-2010, 17:38
*sigh* still doesn't support wpa2 encryption with the Broadcom wifi chip in my Dell Vostro 1500, still keeps asking for wpa2 password repeatedly. At least I could use wicd in 9.10, but this doesn't seem to work in 10.04 (get bad password message, and I've typed it several times)

On a 5 year old Dell Latitude X1, 10.04 is honky dory, yay!

Boots fast on both laptops.

wpa2 works fine on my atheros devices...

Which driver are you using w/ the Broadcom? There should be two(to my knowledge)... One is the b43, the other is called "STA" I do believe.... Look under Sys/admin/Hardware Drivers. I believe the STA driver is generally considered the better of the two... but again, this is only what I read, I have no Broadcom wireless devices...

Try this.. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1390979
This is for 9.10, but it might be some help as well.. http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/11/broadcom-wireless-driver-fix-in-karmic.html

g29andy
05-08-2010, 07:08
latest kernel update has fixed the broadcom wpa2 encryption issue for my Vostros

g29andy
05-12-2010, 18:24
latest kernel update has fixed the broadcom wpa2 encryption issue for my Vostros

And the problem is back on both Vostro's. It's some problem with Broadcom wifi cards with wpa2 security enabled: I can connect with no security enabled. wicd not the answer this time either even though it worked with 9.10.

I may give ndiswrapper a try.

IndyGunFreak
05-12-2010, 18:35
And the problem is back on both Vostro's. It's some problem with Broadcom wifi cards with wpa2 security enabled: I can connect with no security enabled. wicd not the answer this time either even though it worked with 9.10.

I may give ndiswrapper a try.

Which broadcom device are you using again?....

lspci in a terminal if you don't know.

IGF

g29andy
05-12-2010, 19:03
Which broadcom device are you using again?....

lspci in a terminal if you don't know.

IGF

The laptops with the problems have Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AGN cards, which I believe are broadcoms.

I have an older Dell Latitude X1 with an Intel 2200 B/G wireless card that works great with every version of Ubuntu. But the Vostro's with the 4965's have had issues ever since the 9.10. Prior versions worked without a problem. I've narrowed it down to wpa2 encryption, because I can connect fine if I disable wpa2 at the wireless router. With Ubuntu 9.10, I found that using wicd allowed me to use wpa2 encryption. However since 10.04 came out, it's been spotty both with network manager and with wicd. I can see my wireless network, but I get a requests to enter the passphrase, then it attempts to connect, then it asks for my password again, etc. Others on Ubuntu forums have posted similar issues.

When I have more time to play, I may try ndiswrapper, or even see if I can find an Atheros based wireless N card to try (I think they are hard to come by?).

IndyGunFreak
05-12-2010, 23:43
The laptops with the problems have Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AGN cards, which I believe are broadcoms.

I have an older Dell Latitude X1 with an Intel 2200 B/G wireless card that works great with every version of Ubuntu. But the Vostro's with the 4965's have had issues ever since the 9.10. Prior versions worked without a problem. I've narrowed it down to wpa2 encryption, because I can connect fine if I disable wpa2 at the wireless router. With Ubuntu 9.10, I found that using wicd allowed me to use wpa2 encryption. However since 10.04 came out, it's been spotty both with network manager and with wicd. I can see my wireless network, but I get a requests to enter the passphrase, then it attempts to connect, then it asks for my password again, etc. Others on Ubuntu forums have posted similar issues.

When I have more time to play, I may try ndiswrapper, or even see if I can find an Atheros based wireless N card to try (I think they are hard to come by?).

Yes, Atheros cards are hard to come by. There's some m-PCI ones out there, if you're going to crack open the laptop and get really into this. Almost all the USB and Card solutions are Broadcom or Ralink. Although for normal PCI(for a computer) quite a few of them out there are Atheros.

Don't know if you've seen this, but there's a bug report on this here....
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/545708

Post #19 above says he got it working well w/ ndiswrapper. Have you tried switching to just normal WPA, instead of WPA2? That might be a temporary solution until this is resolved.

If I can help further, feel free to ask.

IGF

Linux3
05-13-2010, 14:38

I would think an Intel card would have an Intel chip set. A little googling shows that this chipset is indeed a problem child.
Just for yucks I went to the Intel site and looked for drivers there. They took me to this page:
http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/

Not much help. Still looking.

g29andy
05-13-2010, 20:06
I would think an Intel card would have an Intel chip set.

You would think I would have realized this already, my goof. The other optional card for the Dell Vostros was the Dell 1510 N wireless card which is Broadcom. Where is the forehead smacking smiley?

BTW it's working again now, may not be when powering up from hibernate/sleep next time.

bobby_w
05-21-2010, 22:26
I loaded Ubuntu 10.04 into a Parallels Version 4 virtual machine running on my Vista desktop last night.

This had to be the easiest OS install I have ever done. Everything worked without any tweaking. Everything.