New M&P owner [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New M&P owner

s0nspark
04-29-2010, 17:27
Hey all -

Just wanted to say I just bought my first S&W... an M&P9C. I have owned an XDm and a couple of Glocks up to this point but can honestly say the M&P fits me best. Plus after carrying a G29 for 8+ months the little 9C feels like it is barely there :-)

My stepdad has carried an M&P9C for about 6 years. It was the first semiauto I had opportunity to shoot and I liked it okay except that he did not have mags with the finger rest. Those make all the difference for me... Once he got those I was sold, and it didn't hurt any that I shot his M&P better then either of my Glocks!

This is actually my second S&W... I inherited a very old S&W .38 revolver from my grandfather. I shot it a few times but the grip kills my hand so that'll probably just be one to collect. :-)

Cheers,
Tim

cowboy1964
04-30-2010, 14:01
I really like the ergos on the M&Ps. I have an M&P 45c and am thinking about getting a 9c (possibly a 40c).

I still carry my Glock 26 but I just am not shooting Glocks well in general. I think it's the grip more than anything. I may give the Gen 4's a chance when they come out in the 19 and 26.

bac1023
05-01-2010, 23:59
Congrats on the M&P. :)

s0nspark
05-02-2010, 06:06
I really like the ergos on the M&Ps. I have an M&P 45c and am thinking about getting a 9c (possibly a 40c).

I still carry my Glock 26 but I just am not shooting Glocks well in general. I think it's the grip more than anything. I may give the Gen 4's a chance when they come out in the 19 and 26.

The clincher for me was realizing that I shot the M&P9C better than my G19 or the G29 I carried... For me it was the grip. My Glocks were decent but I still would find myself fidgeting a bit to get the gun settled in my hands. The M&P found its place much faster.

IMO Glock really needs to rethink the grip and come up with a truly modular system that will fit more people. It isn't just about the trigger reach - the palm swell and curvature to the sides matters a lot too. I've handled a Gen 4 G22 and to be honest I just didn't notice enough difference.

Another factor in my switch was that I wanted to consolidate on 9mm. I loved the 10mm - super fun and all - but I had a really hard time finding affordable practice ammo as a non-reloader. (Sorry, DoubleTap... I'm not going to pay the same amount for my practice ammo as my carry ammo :-p)

All in all I am very happy with the M&P. So much so that I've sold my G19 to a coworker and am picking up an M&P9L as soon as he pays me. :-)

Narkcop
05-04-2010, 04:20
I just bought a M&P .40 compact with crimson trace laser backstrap. It's like having a red dot scope on an AR-15, once you do you will never go back to just iron sights.

s0nspark
05-04-2010, 05:00
I just bought a M&P .40 compact with crimson trace laser backstrap. It's like having a red dot scope on an AR-15, once you do you will never go back to just iron sights.

My stepdad's M&P is equipped with a Crimson Trace too ... nice, but I found it distracting. I kept fighting the tendency to line up the sights with the laser, which didn't work out too well.

I don't think he ever zeroed it, though, so it may just have been that :-)

Ak.Hiker
05-23-2010, 22:56
Hey all -

Just wanted to say I just bought my first S&W... an M&P9C. I have owned an XDm and a couple of Glocks up to this point but can honestly say the M&P fits me best. Plus after carrying a G29 for 8+ months the little 9C feels like it is barely there :-)

My stepdad has carried an M&P9C for about 6 years. It was the first semiauto I had opportunity to shoot and I liked it okay except that he did not have mags with the finger rest. Those make all the difference for me... Once he got those I was sold, and it didn't hurt any that I shot his M&P better then either of my Glocks!

This is actually my second S&W... I inherited a very old S&W .38 revolver from my grandfather. I shot it a few times but the grip kills my hand so that'll probably just be one to collect. :-)

Cheers,
Tim

You may want to find some grips that fit your hand so you can enjoy shooting your grandfathers gun. I have my fathers 357 Magnum and my son has another one. I take mine with me in the field a few times each summer. Just a thought.

ContractSoldier
05-23-2010, 23:14
Congrats, the M&P is a good gun and i predict that it will dominate the law enforcement market in the United States in the years to come.

wtlawson
05-23-2010, 23:29
Hey all -

Cheers,
Tim

Bought my wife the M&P 9c a few weeks ago...

Called S&W and they sent an extended floor plate for the second magazine at no charge...

s0nspark
05-24-2010, 04:52
Bought my wife the M&P 9c a few weeks ago...

Called S&W and they sent an extended floor plate for the second magazine at no charge...

I picked up that tip somewhere myself ... S&W customer support seems quite nice to deal with. :-)

s0nspark
05-24-2010, 04:54
You may want to find some grips that fit your hand so you can enjoy shooting your grandfathers gun. I have my fathers 357 Magnum and my son has another one. I take mine with me in the field a few times each summer. Just a thought.

Good thought! I'm not entirely sure what to look for but new (fatter) grips would go a long way towards making the gun more comfortable in my hand. Any suggestions? Also, any way to find out what model I have?

Ak.Hiker
05-24-2010, 10:34
Good thought! I'm not entirely sure what to look for but new (fatter) grips would go a long way towards making the gun more comfortable in my hand. Any suggestions? Also, any way to find out what model I have?

Hogue has a good selection of handgun grips. I like the soft rubber ones on heavy recoiling handguns but I would think on an older S&W wood grips would be the way to go. They make grips for square butt and round butt Smiths. You also may want to look for something in a Bill Jordan design. He had large hands. Another place to check out for grips is ebay.com. Lots of S&W grips available on the used market. If you are interested in learning more about your grandfathers gun a good place to start is the book by Roy Jenks on the history of Smith & Wesson. You could also contact Smith & Wesson.

s0nspark
05-24-2010, 10:37
Hogue has a good selection of handgun grips. I like the soft rubber ones on heavy recoiling handguns but I would think on an older S&W wood grips would be the way to go. They make grips for square butt and round butt Smiths. You also may want to look for something in a Bill Jordan design. He had large hands. Another place to check out for grips is ebay.com. Lots of S&W grips available on the used market. If you are interested in learning more about your grandfathers gun a good place to start is the book by Roy Jenks on the history of Smith & Wesson. You could also contact Smith & Wesson.

Great ... thanks so much for the pointers! :-)

den888
06-06-2010, 22:29
Congrats !

JimBobTX
06-13-2010, 18:39
I have a M&P40c and I love it. I used to carry a G19 or G26 but the ergonomics of the Smith is so much better for my hands. I also had a Kahr P40 that kicked like a mule...the 40c handles recoil so much better IMO.

17z
06-13-2010, 23:00
How well does the S&W M&P compacts conceal compared to Glocks compacts????? And even full size M&Ps??? 17z

s0nspark
06-14-2010, 02:17
How well does the S&W M&P compacts conceal compared to Glocks compacts????? And even full size M&Ps??? 17z

That is, of course, a loaded question... how well any weapon conceals depends a lot on carry method, holster and body type.

Having said that, I found the differences between the M&P9C and the M&P9 quite small so I recently elected to carry the full size instead abd gave the compact to my wife, whose smaller hands find better purchase on it than mine do.