Would it make sense to start tumbling brass now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would it make sense to start tumbling brass now?

KiloBravo
04-29-2010, 18:29
Okay, so as I have said before, I am going to take the plunge and start reloading. I picked up a copy of the ABC's of Reloading and have been reading through it, and I know I need to read the entire thing and I will do that.

I have been saving brass I plan on reloading for, and I even bought a kinetic bullet puller. That was for an experiment making my own dummy rounds that didn't work out to well. It has also come in handy though for safely dis-assembling live rounds I find mixed in with the brass I have been picking up at the range.

I found a tumbler at Wally World for around $70. I was wondering if it would make sense for me to buy that now and clean brass as I find it? My thinking is that I will have plenty of cases ready to go by the time I buy my press and everything else I will need. I won't have to spend time cleaning and can just start loading.

Another thought I had is that if I buy a piece of equipment here and there like that, then I can accumulate stuff as I am able to. For a press, I am going to go with what Colorado4Wheel said about the LCT kit or w/e it was from Kemph's.

How about what type of media? I have one guy at the range tell me uncooked dry rice from any grocery store is what he uses. I have heard other talk about walnut? I realize it probably does not make a lot of sense to buy the specific "tumbling media."

I am sorry if any of this sounds dumb to you more experienced guys. I am always learning and will keep asking questions when I think of them. I also plan on ordering the press and everything next month.

Any input would be most appreciated.

GLShooter
04-29-2010, 18:59
Polish now. Load later! LOL

I have used rice in a regular tumbler machine it works well. Nice patina. I have not used it in a vibrating tumbler. I use ground walnut and NuFinish polish in them. Get the bird cage walnut litter from PetSmart or find a bird supplier and buy a 50 pound bag for about $25.00.

Try to keep ahead on the polishing and sort your cases by heads stamp when they're nice and shiny.

Greg

KiloBravo
04-29-2010, 19:32
Polish now. Load later! LOL

I have used rice in a regular tumbler machine it works well. Nice patina. I have not used it in a vibrating tumbler. I use ground walnut and NuFinish polish in them. Get the bird cage walnut litter from PetSmart or find a bird supplier and buy a 50 pound bag for about $25.00.

Try to keep ahead on the polishing and sort your cases by heads stamp when they're nice and shiny.

Greg

Thanks a lot for the great tip. I will check out Petco next time I am in there to see what a bag of ground walnut runs.

MarcusT
04-29-2010, 19:55
Drillspot.com sells a 40lb bag of corncob media for $22 shipped.
http://www.drillspot.com/tag/blast-medium/?spc=Media%20Type%3DCorn%20Cob

KiloBravo
04-29-2010, 20:13

Awesome. Thank you very much.

chris in va
04-29-2010, 20:57
I found a tumbler at Wally World for around $70.

I think you can find something cheaper. Even the local gun store sells a Frankford Arsenal for $49.

proraptor
04-30-2010, 10:52
Not all tumblers are created equal....I had the frankford arsenal tumbler and that thing is so loud and annoying. I have a lyman now and its pretty quiet. The dillon tumblers are super quiet

GioaJack
04-30-2010, 10:58
Why waste your time, you have more important things to attend to... let the butler do it.

Jack

fredj338
04-30-2010, 11:43
Why waste your time, you have more important things to attend to... let the butler do it.

Jack
So ture JAck! Really, unless you are just wanting something to do, there is nothing gained by polishing brass now, especially if you do not seal it up in an airtight container. Forget rice, it gets messy after a couple uses IMO, ground walnut or corn cob or both mixed work far better.

AA#5
04-30-2010, 11:50
Okay, so as I have said before, I am going to take the plunge and start reloading. I picked up a copy of the ABC's of Reloading and have been reading through it, and I know I need to read the entire thing and I will do that.

I have been saving brass I plan on reloading for, and I even bought a kinetic bullet puller. That was for an experiment making my own dummy rounds that didn't work out to well. It has also come in handy though for safely dis-assembling live rounds I find mixed in with the brass I have been picking up at the range.

I found a tumbler at Wally World for around $70. I was wondering if it would make sense for me to buy that now and clean brass as I find it? My thinking is that I will have plenty of cases ready to go by the time I buy my press and everything else I will need. I won't have to spend time cleaning and can just start loading.

Another thought I had is that if I buy a piece of equipment here and there like that, then I can accumulate stuff as I am able to. For a press, I am going to go with what Colorado4Wheel said about the LCT kit or w/e it was from Kemph's.

How about what type of media? I have one guy at the range tell me uncooked dry rice from any grocery store is what he uses. I have heard other talk about walnut? I realize it probably does not make a lot of sense to buy the specific "tumbling media."

I am sorry if any of this sounds dumb to you more experienced guys. I am always learning and will keep asking questions when I think of them. I also plan on ordering the press and everything next month.

Any input would be most appreciated.

I've using only the corn cob media (untreated). Great results. I've found that it's better to get the larger size tumbler first. If you get a small one, you'll probably realize you need a bigger one anyway.

robin303
04-30-2010, 17:17
I got the Cabela's tumbler for $50 and went to Pets Mart and got their corncob and walnut in the bird section and just go to AutoZone and get NuFinish and Paint Thinner from Homers. All this and your good to go for months under $90 bucks.

21 shooter
04-30-2010, 18:08

Thanks for that info. Best price I have seen in a long time and that is a really good grit size to use.

KiloBravo
04-30-2010, 19:33

Jack

Why thank you, but you give me entirely too much credit. :rofl: :supergrin:

KiloBravo
04-30-2010, 19:34
I got the Cabela's tumbler for $50 and went to Pets Mart and got their corncob and walnut in the bird section and just go to AutoZone and get NuFinish and Paint Thinner from Homers. All this and your good to go for months under $90 bucks.

Thanks for that info. I will go check that stuff out. :wavey:

shotgunred
05-01-2010, 08:38
Quite often cleaning brass is optional. If you are getting stuff piecemeal get the press first. A tumbler would be way down on my list.
press
dies
scale
primers
powder
bullets
ect.
you can clean your brass by hand if you had to.

robin303
05-01-2010, 08:44
Quite often cleaning brass is optional. If you are getting stuff piecemeal get the press first. A tumbler would be way down on my list.
press
dies
scale
primers
powder
bullets
ect.
you can clean your brass by hand if you had to.

Lot of truth to that. I didn't start to tumble untill I reloaded my brass 4 or 5 times. In fact it was the last thing I bought.

G1ock N9nteen
05-01-2010, 15:34
I bought my tumbler from HF while waiting for the LCT Kempf Kit.
PS tumbling mixed calibers it annoying to sort after the tumble, they get inside of each other.

robin303
05-01-2010, 17:48
I bought my tumbler from HF while waiting for the LCT Kempf Kit.
PS tumbling mixed calibers it annoying to sort after the tumble, they get inside of each other.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199884&highlight=Dumb

FullClip
05-02-2010, 09:55
Never to early to clean your used brass. Others have said you don't need to clean the once or twice or even more shot stuff, and that's true. I bought my tumbler long after I started reloading. But the cleaned brass gives your reloads a better look, if not function, and helps keep the dies in good shape. It also makes it easier to see any cracks or deformed cases before they get into the assembly line.

I usually tumble in the summer, when I do most of my shooting, sort and spray the brass with One-Shot lube, and store the empties in labeled plastic coffee cans. Come those long winter nights, I can just break open one of the cans and crank out a few hundred rounds with less prep work. Stock the shelves back up with re-loads for when the snow clears out fo the gravel pit.

Have fun reloading....and be safe, follow the directions. If something doesn't feel right...it usually isn't!

GLShooter
05-02-2010, 10:03
I started reloading when I lived in Oklahoma. I am now in Arizona. If your brass hits the ground it is going to be inoculated with some really neat stuff called sand. I am afraid that the sand a case that has not been cleaned will make short work of the interior of a die. I realize you can wipe them down but extractor grooves are like magnets for holding junk.

Greg

RustyFN
05-02-2010, 10:56
To me it's worth it to start tumbling. I like my brass clean and shiny. I add Nu Finish car polish to my media and the brass comes out nice and shiny. It also helps to keep the brass from tarnishing. I keep the brass sorted and in sealed buckets. Any time I want to load I have brass ready to go.

GLShooter
05-02-2010, 13:41
I am a firm believer in keeping ahead of your needs and polishing it as soon as it gets dirty.

Years ago I had acquired a huge amount of brass for my IPSC stuff (still do!! LOL) I got divorced in 1993 and had to move on out. I cleaned out my guns, cloths and reloading equipment and got a two bedroom apartment. Very little furniture. I had been throwing fired dirty brass in big paper bags for years and I would just load up new or processed once fired stuff for my matches. When I got home I would just dump the range bag into a sack.

Anyway when I moved out I had about fifteen of these grocery stacks full of mixed brass. I got out my chair and about five cardboard boxes and started sorting. Finished sorting it up about a week later.

I had a big Dillon, two Vibra Shine 18's and a Thumblers Tumbler. I also had a patio. I got out the extension cord and started polishing. I ran those polishers from 5 Pm until 11 PM every night for a long time!! The apt security guards would drop in to BS about guns since they saw the tumblers running.

Well after it was all said and done I had big buckets of nice brass and ever since then I pretty much polish them as I go. I score several thousands cases periodically in various flavors and the big Dillons do yeoman's work in getting it ready to shoot or sell.

Polish when you can and you'll be ahead of the game.

Greg

KiloBravo
05-02-2010, 15:25
I am a firm believer in keeping ahead of your needs and polishing it as soon as it gets dirty.

Years ago I had acquired a huge amount of brass for my IPSC stuff (still do!! LOL) I got divorced in 1993 and had to move on out. I cleaned out my guns, cloths and reloading equipment and got a two bedroom apartment. Very little furniture. I had been throwing fired dirty brass in big paper bags for years and I would just load up new or processed once fired stuff for my matches. When I got home I would just dump the range bag into a sack.

Anyway when I moved out I had about fifteen of these grocery stacks full of mixed brass. I got out my chair and about five cardboard boxes and started sorting. Finished sorting it up about a week later.

I had a big Dillon, two Vibra Shine 18's and a Thumblers Tumbler. I also had a patio. I got out the extension cord and started polishing. I ran those polishers from 5 Pm until 11 PM every night for a long time!! The apt security guards would drop in to BS about guns since they saw the tumblers running.

Well after it was all said and done I had big buckets of nice brass and ever since then I pretty much polish them as I go. I score several thousands cases periodically in various flavors and the big Dillons do yeoman's work in getting it ready to shoot or sell.

Polish when you can and you'll be ahead of the game.

Greg

Wow! I only hope that I can aquire that many cases to reload. That is impressive. I should take a serious look at purchasing one then here shortly. I can polish it all up and then seal off each caliber in individual coffee cans. That is actually what I do now anyway while sorting what I bring home from the range. Each is their own designated can.

Thanks for the tip!

KiloBravo
05-02-2010, 15:26
Never to early to clean your used brass. Others have said you don't need to clean the once or twice or even more shot stuff, and that's true. I bought my tumbler long after I started reloading. But the cleaned brass gives your reloads a better look, if not function, and helps keep the dies in good shape. It also makes it easier to see any cracks or deformed cases before they get into the assembly line.

I usually tumble in the summer, when I do most of my shooting, sort and spray the brass with One-Shot lube, and store the empties in labeled plastic coffee cans. Come those long winter nights, I can just break open one of the cans and crank out a few hundred rounds with less prep work. Stock the shelves back up with re-loads for when the snow clears out fo the gravel pit.

Have fun reloading....and be safe, follow the directions. If something doesn't feel right...it usually isn't!

Very good advice. Thanks very much and I will take it to heart! :wavey:

MarioS
05-03-2010, 04:29
Yeah, go for it. That is what I did and by the time I had my press set up and going, I had almost 1k cases ready to go. Just one less thing to think about.