New toy to develop load for. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New toy to develop load for.

GioaJack
04-29-2010, 18:49
Warning, don't ever get old and bored... it'll cost you money. :crying:

The calendar says it's spring so I assume once it stops snowing I'll get to spend the next 6 or 7 months shooting. The thought of dragging the same old guns to the range every time was a little depressing so I decided it was time to indulge myself with an anti-depressant.

Went down the hill and bought a new gun. Feel better already and haven't even shot it.

Wanted something to mess around at the range with plus double as another carry gun when I travel to less desirable parts of the country... which is pretty much the whole rest of the country.

Knew I wanted another 1911 platform but wasn't sure which one. Ended up with a Kimber Ultra Crimson Trace Carry II. Wasn't really interested in the Crimson Trace grips but that's all they had. Already worth the money... spent the last half hour or so shining the dot on the wall and watching the dog go crazy trying to bite it. I know it's hard to believe but there are times I can be a mean SOB.

Have two moulds that I'll try out of it first... 200 grain SWC and 225 grain RN. I'm hoping the SWC's will feed reliably, they do in all my .45's except for my G30. If they won't I imagine the RN will do fine... if they don't it won't be the first feed ramp I've ever worked on.

Even though I've been loading a lot of .45's with Power Pistol since last fall I'm not sure I want to see a nuclear fireball mushrooming up at the end of a three inch barrel.

Think I'll start out with Clays, have almost 16 pounds of it and Unique, have almost 12 pounds of that left.

Obviously with a 3 inch barrel I'm not looking for NRA target accuracy more concerned with reliability. Have a few boxes of 185 and 190 grain JHP's so I'll run a bunch of them through it and see how they work for social situations. I prefer the lighter bullets in a light frame .45 over the 230 grainers. I'm kinda quirky that way.

Anyone been loading lead for a 3 inch barrel, would be very interested in hearing your thoughts and suggestions... never loaded for shorter than 4 inch .45's. Looking forward to running it over the chrony.

RDRoX you're more than welcome to come along and watch... as long as you don't get within ten feet of a gun. :supergrin:

Jack

norton
04-29-2010, 19:44
Congrats on the new toy. Even if it snows again, you will have something to look forward to.

kshutt
04-29-2010, 19:57
Congrats, Jack! A new toy is always fun. Have you found a nice snow bank to set your targets up against? :crying::tongueout::crying::tongueout:

RustyFN
04-29-2010, 20:06
Sweet, congrats Jack. Nothing beats buying a new gun. We need pictures man.

Colorado4Wheel
04-29-2010, 20:08
Did it cost $4500?

G36_Me
04-29-2010, 20:31
I will be interested to see if you like it. I bought the same gun in 4" and don't really like it. Gave it to the boy, he's happy. Keep us posted.

GioaJack
04-29-2010, 20:53
Sweet, congrats Jack. Nothing beats buying a new gun. We need pictures man.

Have to charge the camera battery... I'll post a couple tomorrow.

Did it cost $4500?

I'm old, crippled and ugly... not stupid. Well... almost not stupid.

I will be interested to see if you like it. I bought the same gun in 4" and don't really like it. Gave it to the boy, he's happy. Keep us posted.

Had a concern about that... this one has an internal extractor, the best I've been able to figure out folks were having trouble with the external models. We'll see, it'll be fun to play with. If it doesn't work out as a carry gun I'll hire XDRoX as my bodyguard... I'll just have to make sure everyone that gets near me is dressed like a chronograph. :supergrin:

(The poor guy ain't gettin' out of that barrel till someone else shoots one.)

Jack

4Baldy
04-29-2010, 21:22
The wife has had the Ultra CDP II for about 2yrs now. She shot it one year in a indoor league and done real well with it. She was using what I call my range load which is:
200gr LSWC
4.8grs of Win-231 or 4.0grs of Bullseye
OAL is set at 1.250"
She put about 2,500rds thur it the first year and a half. At about 1,200rds the return spring will start to get weak and you will need a new one. The pistol has never failed to fire or eject yet. :thumbsup:

XDRoX
04-29-2010, 21:32
Congrat's Jack. I only have one 1911 and it's so old I'm almost afraid to shoot it. Almost.

Is it a Bi-Tone? My cousin was wanting to get the crimson bi-tone Kimber. He's been eying it for a while.
Oh ya, I almost forgot, we don't get to use this smilie around these parts much:supergrin:

:needspics:

ilgunguygt
04-29-2010, 21:51
Hey jack, I have been loading for a 3.5" 1911 since last September. I am a cast bullet whore, currently my whole stock comes from Missouri Bullet (I am just getting ready to start casting though).

My current favorite load is a 230gr LRN(Missouri Bullets "softball") over 5.5gr AA#2. I had previously posted about using 5.2, but after running 200 rounds off in an hour or two i had a lot of unburned powder in the action. When i bumped it up to 5.5 the accuracy was still great and I didnt have the mess anymore. I have not chronographed this load, but its enough to get the job done for a target load, or to dispatch an unwanted four legged guest.

I also load 230gr XTPs over 7.5gr Power pistol. This one is good for an honest to goodness 875-900fps out of my little 3.5" RIA. Very accurate and not bad to shoot. The fireball isnt as bad as you would expect, and i suspect the load could be pushed a little farther, but not by me.

I was prepared for a problem child, finding a load that would be reliable in a short barelled 1911, but it was not a problem at all, in fact, mine loved everything I fed it. Even the SWCs loaded with bullseye and 700x.

Bob2223
04-30-2010, 08:52
Kimber? Kimber?
You shoulda got a Wilson
:tongueout:

Congrats on you new toy Sir !
I really like the looks of the Ultra Carry II, looked at one twice at the last show in Indy. The Crimson trace grips needed or not give it a high tech coolness :supergrin:
I'm interested in hearing what you think of a chopped down 1911, and the Crimson Trace grips after you play with them a little?
I mean besides aggravating the dog :upeyes:

Bob

GioaJack
04-30-2010, 12:55
SWEET!!! More fun than watching an ex-wife declare bankruptcy!

The predicted snow held off this morning so I decided to take some rounds I had loaded up and venture behind the house for a little feeding testing. Didn't really know what to expect since I have no experience with Kimbers.

Had 225 grain RN in front of 6.5 grains Power Pistol that I load for the G30 and some 200 grain SWC's in front of 3.9 grains of Clays that I load for everything else.

Figured if I was going to have feeding problems with anything it would be with the SWC's.

Ran three mags of the SWC's... not one hitch. Fed beautifully, cases ejected about 3 feet to my right, all within 6-8 inches of each other. One handed, (had to hold my cigarette in my other hand), recoil was actually pretty light for a 3 inch barrel with recovery from muzzle flip very quick. Was just shooting into some logs waiting to be bucked for firewood so I really didn't to anything to check for accuracy, I was concentrating more of feeding and extraction.

I can assure you however that had the logs been involved in some nefarious criminal act they would have been stopped in their bark covered tracks.

Next up were the 230 grainers with Powder Pistol. I'm going to sell the the snow plows... the Power Pistol fireball melts the snow quicker than I can push it. Actually it wasn't all that bad but it was much more noticeable than the Clays.

Everything fed and extracted like a champ although the brass ended up about 3 feet further away, still within a few inches of each other though. Too bad my grandson was at school... would have saved me a lot of bending over.

Had forgotten about the built in Crimson laser sight while shooting so I wrote my name in the snow... then turned the sight on. Shows up pretty well, was kinda surprised with that. Looking forward to shooting it with the laser just to see how it works.

Going to take it down to Texas with me and run a couple hundred rounds through it. A friend of mine who has a ranch next to where I stay is a Ft. Worth cop and has a small range set up next to the house. I'll give it a good run through over there then see if I can scare up a couple rattle snakes on my buddy's ranch. Hate those little buggers.

I've managed to take a few bad pictures as usual.

Kimber Crimson Ultra Carry II
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4286.jpg?t=1272651421

The raised portion on the upper part of the grip houses the laser sight. It has an on/off switch on the offside grip. It's automatically activated when you grip the front strap. Normal finger pressure is all it takes.
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4285.jpg?t=1272653447

Size comparison; Star PD, Kimber, Colt Combat Commander and Glock 30.
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4287.jpg?t=1272653584

So far it's fun... may not be the best thing to shoot with arthritic hands but I ought to be good for a couple hundred rounds at a time.

Jack

Colorado4Wheel
04-30-2010, 13:54
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss114/GioaJack/IMG_4286.jpg?t=1272651421

Jack

Nice looking gun. You bringing down for a visit?

GioaJack
04-30-2010, 14:06
Nice looking gun. You bringing down for a visit?

Yup.

Jack

gjk5
04-30-2010, 15:24
Nice Jack. I have the UCII with night sights and black CT grips (the model right before yours) and it has been great.

I have only loaded Universal for it (trying to use up an 8# jug I bought) in 200gr LSWC and 200gr HP (Berry's). Worked fine, dirty as hell.

It's a great carry gun.

WiskyT
04-30-2010, 15:38
Nice gun there Jack. Does it qualify to be called a Roscoe, or do you ned a 6" gun for that?

GioaJack
04-30-2010, 16:34
Nice gun there Jack. Does it qualify to be called a Roscoe, or do you ned a 6" gun for that?

I have visions of Edward G Robinson wearing a fedora, chomping on a cigar and blasting away with a pencil barrel .38 or a 1911.

'Yeah, yeah, how'da ya like that punk... screw with Blackie will ya... take that, punk." :supergrin:

Jack

n2extrm
04-30-2010, 17:31
Jack,

Congrats on the new gun. I have a couple of Kimbers and LOVE them. One is a 4 inch CDP similar to what you have. I love it. Carries well, conceals well, shoots great. I tried a laser on one of the Glocks, yes the dog was a blast. Well one was one could care less! I had a little trouble geting used to the laser, but it sure shows you what you are doing with the muzzel and trigger!

I am using WSF and Hornady FMJ, tried some Speer hollow points and Speer lawman 200 grain for carry eats it all no problem.

Enjoy!

Zombie Steve
05-01-2010, 11:06
Congrats, Jack. It sounds like you have some loads developed already, but far be it from me to tell someone they shouldn't have 2 or 3 "favorites" per gun... :whistling:

I'm wanting to pick up a Marlin 1895G in .45-70 just to develop a mild, medium and hot load. :embarassed:

Hopefully I'll catch up to you on your way back up the highway. Have a good trip.